Chen-Mieng Wang (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chen-Mieng Wang (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chen-Mieng Wang (Merged)

Postby jbones733 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:58 am

why is he so underated ???? i mean he's having a superb year & playing for the yanks, hard to imagine him being so underated, wins alot, good ratio's i always start him w conifdence, doesent Strikeout alot of people i know, but besides that , he's a very solid pitcher NO ONE talks about

Cashman said he is the Brandon Webb of the NL on a local radio station & he pretty much is
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chen-Mieng Wang

Postby giants! » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:31 pm

jbones733 wrote:why is he so underated ???? i mean he's having a superb year & playing for the yanks, hard to imagine him being so underated, wins alot, good ratio's i always start him w conifdence, doesent Strikeout alot of people i know, but besides that , he's a very solid pitcher NO ONE talks about

Cashman said he is the Brandon Webb of the NL on a local radio station & he pretty much is

Cashman said it in the hilarious interview with Russo on Mike and the Mad Dog. I am very very high on him after initially being down on him. He is a pleasure to watch.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:32 pm

I don't think he's underrated. Wang has been great IRL for the Yankees but he's not exactly Brandon Webb. Cashman also said he would have cancelled the Abreu deal if Lidle wasn't included so, like most GMs, Cashman doesn't always talk straight. I think the main reason you don't hear much on this board is because his K rate is low which diminishes his value a bit from a fantasy perspective.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:47 pm

Amazinz wrote:I don't think he's underrated. Wang has been great IRL for the Yankees but he's not exactly Brandon Webb. Cashman also said he would have cancelled the Abreu deal if Lidle wasn't included so, like most GMs, Cashman doesn't always talk straight. I think the main reason you don't hear much on this board is because his K rate is low which diminishes his value a bit from a fantasy perspective.

Also unless he's Tommy John that low K rate will kill him in the long run. I mean if it was low but within average, it'd be OK... But he's K'ing about 3/9 innings. That's just terrible.

I know he gets a ton of groundballs but he's treading on very thin ice right now.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DK » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:49 pm

Just looked back at the numbers... He's only K'ing 2.77/9 innings. I have never heard of a pitcher in this era who could last with a K rate that low.

I like Wang, he seems like a cool guy and his composure on the mound is great. 8 scoreless last night didn't hurt. But unless he's the greatest ground-ball pitcher of all time I don't see him keeping this up.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TB13 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:55 pm

DK wrote:Just looked back at the numbers... He's only K'ing 2.77/9 innings. I have never heard of a pitcher in this era who could last with a K rate that low.

I like Wang, he seems like a cool guy and his composure on the mound is great. 8 scoreless last night didn't hurt. But unless he's the greatest ground-ball pitcher of all time I don't see him keeping this up.

I don't quite know about being the greatest ground-ball pitcher of all time, BUT he is a ground ball machine. He is reminding me of a very good Hampton, when all he did was induce grounders. I understand the concern about the lack of K's, but unless his grounder-to-fly ball ration drastically changes (and for the last two years it has given no indication of that), he could be a very usefull pitcher, providing the rest of your staff can cover up for the lack of K's.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DK » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:59 pm

TB13 wrote:
DK wrote:Just looked back at the numbers... He's only K'ing 2.77/9 innings. I have never heard of a pitcher in this era who could last with a K rate that low.

I don't quite know about being the greatest ground-ball pitcher of all time, BUT he is a ground ball machine. He is reminding me of a very good Hampton, when all he did was induce grounders. I understand the concern about the lack of K's, but unless his grounder-to-fly ball ration drastically changes (and for the last two years it has given no indication of that), he could be a very usefull pitcher, providing the rest of your staff can cover up for the lack of K's.

I was speaking more of reality and not fantasy. I have never heard of a pitcher in the modern era who survived to have any sort of career with a K rate that low. Not even Tommy John. TJ's was low, but not this low.

I'm trying to find a pitcher who succeeded with a K rate less than three. There aren't any. Somebody help me find one.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TB13 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:02 pm

DK wrote:I was speaking more of reality and not fantasy.

Ahh....my mistake
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DK » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:04 pm

TB13 wrote:
DK wrote:I was speaking more of reality and not fantasy.

Ahh....my mistake

No worries. It's an honest one to make considering we're on a fantasy board.

Even fantasy-wise, with his K rate I can't see his H/9 staying this low. His ratio stats have nowhere to go but up from here, IMO.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:04 pm

Amazinz wrote:I don't think he's underrated. Wang has been great IRL for the Yankees but he's not exactly Brandon Webb.

yea yer correct he's not Brandon Webb but he could be in a few years.

he's only gonna get better
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers