Disgusting. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Disgusting.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:30 pm

Why should the Expos get to have a higher payroll than other teams in the league if they don't even have an owner? If you do that for the Expos, you'd have to finance the A's/Royals/Indians etc because their payrolls aren't that high and some of them can't be competitve due to their payrolls. So then they'd have to try to make them competitive too. Detriot essentially has a AAA team and you aren't complaining about that harming the integrity of the league.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:34 pm

The difference with teams like the Tigers is that they have owners who fully have the ability to spend more money but just choose not to (BTW, the Tigers payroll is actually not all that low, esp. with Higginson's salary). Having a team that has a salary that is league mandated to be non-existent makes no sense at all. Either get the team out of the league, or if the league is going to operate the team, they should get a salary allowance that is the average of what other teams pay, since that's the only reasonable way to set their payroll.

It affects the fairness and integrity of the league, because of the wild card race and divisional play. If you're going to have a permanent laughingstock in the NL East, it then gives the Phillies, Braves, Mets and Marlins an advantage against the teams in the other divisions in the wild card race, because they play more games against them.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ramble2 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:48 pm

How about this idea.

All the money that is received as part of the luxury tax or MLB revenue (as opposed to team revenue) that a team does not use for payroll or other operating expenses ought to go to the Montreal Expos. I'm not a huge Steinbrenner fan, but I do respect that he's willing to pony up if Cashman can convince him that it's a good investment. The owners that make me the angriest are those that simply pocket the money they receive as part of MLB distribution and luxury tax (I'm looking at you, KC and Minnesota ... (although maybe these teams are now using that money, I don't know about this year)). This would put pressure on those deadbeat teams to spend money on the product they put on the field.

As for the Expos being given a payroll equivalent to a league average, I think that is too high. The average payroll is likely to be distorted, anyways, given that the Yankees have such a huge payroll relative to so many other teams. I'd be curious as to what the median salary is. There has to be a balance between giving them high enough of a payroll to field a competitive team but is fair to the other owners. jdh, I think your point that the owners committed to running the Expos is quite good. It means they have accepted an obligation to run that squad in a way that maintains the integrity of the game. They really should have an independent third party operating that squad, as opposed to the obvious conflict of interest scenario they have now.

How much of a payroll should the Expos have? I would imagine one that put them above one quarter of the teams in baseball but below the remaining three quarters of the teams should be adequate. It's above the squads that are simply focused on cutting payroll and re-building, but still high enough that it includes a number of competitive squads.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:51 pm

jdh wrote:What I think they should do is allow the Expos to have a salary that is the average salary of all 30 other teams. Give them operating expenses, plus that league average salary, then set the team into a blind trust, and prevent Selig, Steinbrenner and company from meddling with the Expos free agent signings, etc. MLB ordering the Expos to trade Colon last season was just the most ridiculous example of other owners meddling in the operations of the team.

In theory, this is a great idea. In reality, Montreal is now a terrible baseball city and you are just prolonging the inevitable with that proposal. I would like to see the team sold but why is there no urgency for that?

jdh wrote:Well, the problem is that the MLB owners had every opportunity to contract the Expos last season before they agreed to the new collective bargaining agreement. When they signed the new agreement barring contraction, they did so in full knowledge of the fact that they would be paying to operate the Expos for an indefinite period. So yes, they should be forced to pay for the Expos to resign those players, since they basically agreed to that in averting the strike last year.

Who is more powerful in MLB? The owners or the players association? If the owners stayed with wanting to contract, there would still be a strike. Enough said.
Last edited by Lofunzo on Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby jdh » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:51 pm

The thing that's good about going with a league average salary is it could be simply implemented. Every team just needs to send 1/30 of the amount it spends on its own salary to the Expos. That way, the small market teams aren't penalized as much as those that try to buy their way to titles every year.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:59 pm

ramble2 wrote:How about this idea.

All the money that is received as part of the luxury tax or MLB revenue (as opposed to team revenue) that a team does not use for payroll or other operating expenses ought to go to the Montreal Expos. I'm not a huge Steinbrenner fan, but I do respect that he's willing to pony up if Cashman can convince him that it's a good investment. The owners that make me the angriest are those that simply pocket the money they receive as part of MLB distribution and luxury tax (I'm looking at you, KC and Minnesota ... (although maybe these teams are now using that money, I don't know about this year)). This would put pressure on those deadbeat teams to spend money on the product they put on the field.

That sounds like a good idea to me. Everyone would spend the money and the Expos would get squat, but it would make some teams more competitive.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:00 pm

What I would like to see is a minimum salary cap along with the maximum and a mandate that all luxury tax/revenue sharing $$ HAS to go towards payroll. Too many owners are just pocketing the money while their team goes to sh*t. If they can't make that work or if they are losing money, then they can sell the team.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers