A thought on Pierre's SB decline - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A thought on Pierre's SB decline

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A thought on Pierre's SB decline

Postby LetsPlay2 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:12 am

It's conceivable that the green light he had before has been taken away. It's no secret that when the Marlins changed managers Pierre was the only one to continue stealing at the same clip. With the Marlins fighting for a playoff birth, McKeon may think it better to not run himself out of an inning when the guy behind Pierre hit .368 in August. And that's not something you make public since you want his SB #s to still be a distraction to pitchers when he's on base. Just a theory. I hope I'm wrong (and I usually am) since I need Pierre to start running again.

Incidently, I've had Brady Clark on my team for the last 2 weeks and a day and all he's done is hit .368 with 1 HR, 6 RBI, 6 R, and 3 big SBs. And now he's an every day player. Hope I didn't just jinx it.
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:20 am

I've been thinking the same thing about Pierre's lack of steals lately. Nice point. ;-D I do think they need Pierre running to have any chance of making the playoffs, especially with Lowell done now.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jdh » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:11 am

It's not all that uncommon with stolen base threats to see them go through stretches where they steal every base in sight, and then stretches where they hardly steal at all. You saw it with Vlad last year, where he stole almost all his bases after June. You're also seeing it with Podsednik and Crawford now, who have been running wild the last month or two, at a much higher rate than earlier in the season. It's possible Pierre has a nagging injury that we don't know about, and when players get any type of nagging problem, stolen bases are the first thing to be cut out.

Bottom line is you can't expect a consistent year round output in steals. You've already gotten 57 steals out of Pierre, which is way more than anyone would have expected going into the season, so even if he doesn't steal another base, you've gotten your money's worth.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:19 am

jdh wrote:Bottom line is you can't expect a consistent year round output in steals. You've already gotten 57 steals out of Pierre, which is way more than anyone would have expected going into the season, so even if he doesn't steal another base, you've gotten your money's worth.

I drafted him banking on 40 and hoping for 50. I'm definitely not complaining. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Leiter Fan » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:11 pm

jdh wrote:It's not all that uncommon with stolen base threats to see them go through stretches where they steal every base in sight, and then stretches where they hardly steal at all. You saw it with Vlad last year, where he stole almost all his bases after June. You're also seeing it with Podsednik and Crawford now, who have been running wild the last month or two, at a much higher rate than earlier in the season. It's possible Pierre has a nagging injury that we don't know about, and when players get any type of nagging problem, stolen bases are the first thing to be cut out.

Bottom line is you can't expect a consistent year round output in steals. You've already gotten 57 steals out of Pierre, which is way more than anyone would have expected going into the season, so even if he doesn't steal another base, you've gotten your money's worth.

Not in a head to head league, I haven't gotten my money's worth. That's fine to say if someone is just trying to tally up total numbers for the end of the year. But since myplayoffs started yesterday, I need Pierre to be stealing now more than ever!!
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby jdh » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:13 pm

Haha yeah, that's the problem with h2h leagues, and the problem with SB threats is you almost never see a guy have consistent stolen base output throughout the year; its a feast or famine thing and you can't count on any specific number of steals in any given week. I take it that his 57 steals this year has won you the SB category plenty of weeks and helped you get into the playoffs in the first place though.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers