Guitar Players out here? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Guitar Players out here?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Guitar Players out here?

Postby Zito is God » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:49 am

So I've been playing guitar for about three years now. I own a cheap $400 Epiphone acoustic and a ridiculously nice $1200 Jackson SL-Soloist accopanied by a nice Marshall 100W Half Stack HG100 Edition (don't have it on hand, but I believe I have the edition numbersw correct). I take my cheap acoustic over my nice electric anyday though, I just feel better playing acoustic, it feels like I'm making the music instead of a bunch of effects of an amp.

I was just sitting up trying to get down this song called "Snow" by Red Hot Chili Peppers and the riff is just too damn fast for me to play consistently (it seems like everytime I think I have it down I listen to the recording and it goes twice as fast).

Anyone around here play? What style? Most impressive feat? Play for hobby, band, or showing off for ladies? Anyone heard of the song I mentioned? What kind of guitar/amp do you own?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:46 am

I have a MIJ Telecaster, an Ampeg VT40 and an Acoustic G100T (Acoustic= a company from the early 70s, loud clean amp, takes pedals well though...) and some other stuff. I have an acoustic as well but, most of the time, end up playing the Tele unplugged as MrsAcidRock and AcidDaughter aren't quite into the walls shaking as much as I am these days...

I haven't played in a band for a while but enjoyed it quite a bit a few years ago. We did some fun club shows around town. The drummer of the last band just found an envelope w/ $70 in it left over from the last show so we all went out to eat Thai food. The biggest show I probably ever did was opening for a band called Big Dipper in the Mid 80s at a large, packed club. We were blitzed out of our gourds and had a great time.

'Snow' did not ring my bell but I checked it out on iTunes and that sounds like an interesting thing to figure out. I don't really bother figuring stuff out that much these days although I will admit to playing along w/ Rockstar b/c the backup band seems pretty slick and I like the 'ok, now we are going to play ______' and trying to figure stuff out on the fly. Hee hee...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:46 am

Got a custom Harmony/Fender strat, a Martin acoustic, an electric Ibanez (can't remember model), a Takamine acoustic, and a couple others. I have one of those Spider amps that's pretty fun to mess with, but doesn't have the best sound. I have a pretty good size Yamaha, a really old Crate, and a Marshall that's seen better days. We never got too far out of the garage. We played some parties back in the day, but never got into a real show. We got close, but it was just too hard to get things together for some reason. We haven't played together in about 5 or so years and I play only sparingly now.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:03 am

I've been playing for 2 years and a month. I have a crappy Fender beginner set. I just play for a hobby so I don't need expensive stuff, but hopefully I'll be getting a job soon and then I'm going to save up for a Gibson Les Paul.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:56 am

teddy ballgame wrote:I've been playing for 2 years and a month. I have a crappy Fender beginner set. I just play for a hobby so I don't need expensive stuff, but hopefully I'll be getting a job soon and then I'm going to save up for a Gibson Les Paul.

Yeah, for the most part I would say (in my personal opinion) that there is a dozen guitar companies I would take over Fender, I just can't stand Fender. The guitars are mono-tones and use single-coils instead of humbuckers to try and compete (I have three Seymore Duncan Humbuckers on my Jackson, shows you why it was worth so damn much), and the amps are extremely overpriced for giving you mediocre clarity and mediocre "crunch.

For guitars: Ibanez, Jackson for Metal, Les pauls (Gibson's, not the cheap Epiphone stuff) for anything else (I still regret getting my Jackson over a Les Paul), Shechter is one of the most underated companies I have ever heard also.

For amps: MESA if you want very quality crunch rock/metal sound, Marshall's for everything else. Stay away from Crate and Fender. :)

Thats just my opinion though.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Zito is God » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:01 am

'Snow' did not ring my bell but I checked it out on iTunes and that sounds like an interesting thing to figure out. I don't really bother figuring stuff out that much these days although I will admit to playing along w/ Rockstar b/c the backup band seems pretty slick and I like the 'ok, now we are going to play ______' and trying to figure stuff out on the fly. Hee hee...

Oh no, I know what the progression is, it just goes at such a ridiculous pace that I can't keep up and would love to see someone be able to. The progression is all broken chords pretty much, goes along the lines of Amin broken, F broken, Cdim5 broken, Gmin broken (this is roughly, it has one or two more notes thrown in there after every progression, I'm sure you hear the hammer-on, pull-off scheme in the song after every broken chord).

Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokeyjoe » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:16 am

Yea, I mostly play bass but I can play guitar too. I play bass in a band. I play an old Gibson Ripper bass with a Digitech amp, and I'm getting a bass of my own very soon (that one is my uncle's on semi-permanent loan). I can play Snow a little, I forgot most of it though. My favorite chili peppers songs to play is probably californication, just cause the solo is fun. Anybody else going to see them on their tour this year?
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:34 am

I've been playing guitar for almost 13 years now.

I have a

Mexican Piece of Crap Fender Strat
Tacoma Chief Acoustic (rule)
A 1950s Kay Electric (Needs workd)
A 1950's Kay Acoustic (Needs Work)
A Piece of trash Nylon Classical that I liked till my roomate broke it

I used to have a 7 string Ibanez and a Fake Tele but I sold them.

I also played about 4 gigs for the this band in charleston on Bass.

I just bought a drum set and I'm learning to play drums. I must say that I am pretty decent for only playing probably 20 times in my life before buying my set.

Most impressive feat. Probably playing Guyute's Solo. I learned it pretty well and its not easy. Super Fast. It just taught me that I can play whatever I want as long as I practice. Sultans of swing solo's were pretty fun too.

Here's the guyute solo. Play Fast!

I hate playing with Music Majors as they ineveitably take all the fun out of music for me. I've always been an Improv type of player.

I learned playing Nirvana, Then Metallica, Then GNR, Then Hendrix, then Tool, Then Phish, Then Dead, now I play whatever. I consider myself good enough to play any song if I practice.

However, I'm happy now just being able to play I need to play with more people though.

Learning drums in my priority now. What great stress relief!!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Shadow of the Sun* » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:29 pm

Zito is God wrote:

Oh no, I know what the progression is, it just goes at such a ridiculous pace that I can't keep up and would love to see someone be able to. The progression is all broken chords pretty much, goes along the lines of Amin broken, F broken, Cdim5 broken, Gmin broken (this is roughly, it has one or two more notes thrown in there after every progression, I'm sure you hear the hammer-on, pull-off scheme in the song after every broken chord).

"Snow" is the best song on that album and that is saying a lot. It was the first song on the album I figured out how to play and I have it down pretty well right now. With songs like that it just takes a lot of practice to be able to play it fast enough. Keep trying and you'll get it eventually. ;-D

A cheesy tip I have is to not focus on how fast you play it but on how smooth you play the song. Slow down but keep the same rythym, and practice. Eventually you will just get it and then realize it was not that difficult to begin with.
Shadow of the Sun*
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:57 pm

Shadow of the Sun* wrote:
A cheesy tip I have is to not focus on how fast you play it but on how smooth you play the song. Slow down but keep the same rythym, and practice. Eventually you will just get it and then realize it was not that difficult to begin with.

Muscle memory ;-D

Also, Tre Anastasio started playing by mimicing the songs he heard on TV. He'd watch TV and try to play the tunes..also, he says don't think about what you are playing just do it
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk