Baseball GM: Cabrera vs. Wright - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball GM: Cabrera vs. Wright

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby FalcoAtL » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:43 am

If I'm starting a franchise my pick is Wright hands down. Miggy has consistently shown that he lacks character. Aside from the onfield production I would have to go with Wright. Not only will he produce about the same as Cabrera down the road, he constantly shows he has great leadership skills and what it takes to survive in the NY atmosphere.
Image
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 1890
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Postby 1337_Dude » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:21 am

bellings wrote:Miggy is younger and more accomplished at the MLB level.

Age wise there is about a 4 month difference. I wish people would quit making it sound like there is a huge gap there. Also, I don't think you can hold it against Wright that Miggy was in a better situation and got the call to the bigs faster.
Image
Image
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1583
Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ole Kentucky

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:49 am

I've watched a bunch of FLA games this season, and most of those I watched tell me that MCab isn't a very good defensive 3B. He has very poor range, below average defensive instinct (choses the wron base to throw to in a couple situations), and sometimes doesn't appear to hustle (evidenced by the Olsen incident). I don't think he'll stay at 3B and would be less a risk at 1B.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1238
Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Jersey

Postby mak1277 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:56 am

This is like asking me if I like pizza or cheeseburgers better...do I really have to pick?

I guess, today, if pressed, I'll take Wright. But I'd much prefer to table this discussion until after the playoffs this year. Too much is made of postseason success, but I would really like to see how Wright performs in the playoffs and possibly WS this year.

Cabrera acquitted himself pretty well over the postseason in '03 as a 19 year old or whatever he was. He did struggle in the Series, but his LCS was pretty awesome (3 HRs, 9 runs, 6 RBIs in 7 games).
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 4569
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 14 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Northern Virginia

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:44 am

I used to work with a former MLB GM and we had this exact same conversation last summer. He said that Wright was destined to be the better player of the two because his swing was almost flawless with absolutely no hole. I guess I saw a hole in Cabrera's swing or something. Anyway, he said Wright was the best player under 25 in the league already, and would be a top three overall guy within 3 years.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:58 am

FalcoAtL wrote:If I'm starting a franchise my pick is Wright hands down. Miggy has consistently shown that he lacks character. Aside from the onfield production I would have to go with Wright. Not only will he produce about the same as Cabrera down the road, he constantly shows he has great leadership skills and what it takes to survive in the NY atmosphere.


You might be pretty pissed too if your team gave you no protection in the lineup, won a WS ring as a rookie, kept moving you around defensively, nobody comes to your games, and is always unfairly passed over as the best young hitter in the game because of it. If MCAB played for the Mets he'd be 2nd in MVP votes next to Pujols this year.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8538
(Past Year: 143)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bellings » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:53 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
bellings wrote:Look guys, you are overanalyzing this. It's quite simple actually. Miggy is younger and more accomplished at the MLB level. And most people agree that he has the greater offensive upside. It's so obvious that Miggy is the better player.

Miggy is the youngest player ever to hit back-to-back 30/100 seasons, and Wright is still working on his first. Miggy hits for a higher average and OPS. In fantasyland, the SB's from Wright might make it a little closer, but it real life, it's no contect. Miggy by a mile.


That's good logic.

Coincidentally, I dug up one of your old posts from the end of 2004 just now. Let's visit it for a second, shall we?


bellings wrote:Look guys, you are overanalyzing this. It's quite simple actually. Oliver Perez is younger and more accomplished at the MLB level. And most people agree that he has the greater pitching upside. It's so obvious that Perez is the better player.

Perez is the one of the youngest players ever to strike out 239+ in a season, and Brandon Webb still hasn't even struck out 170. Perez strikes out more guys and has a lower ERA. Perez by a mile.


What I'm trying to say is this: Overanalyzing is why we're here. Miggy's work ethic has been challenged and - while he could be a Manny Ramirez type who is an offensive juggernaut, he could also turn into the Stay-Puff Marshmellow Man if he keeps up his current weight pace.


I see your point, but I have to disagree with your tactics. You really shouldn't fictiously quote people, especially when that person joined in March 05 and you say the quote is from 2004.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 586
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:56 pm

bellings wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:
bellings wrote:Look guys, you are overanalyzing this. It's quite simple actually. Miggy is younger and more accomplished at the MLB level. And most people agree that he has the greater offensive upside. It's so obvious that Miggy is the better player.

Miggy is the youngest player ever to hit back-to-back 30/100 seasons, and Wright is still working on his first. Miggy hits for a higher average and OPS. In fantasyland, the SB's from Wright might make it a little closer, but it real life, it's no contect. Miggy by a mile.


That's good logic.

Coincidentally, I dug up one of your old posts from the end of 2004 just now. Let's visit it for a second, shall we?


bellings wrote:Look guys, you are overanalyzing this. It's quite simple actually. Oliver Perez is younger and more accomplished at the MLB level. And most people agree that he has the greater pitching upside. It's so obvious that Perez is the better player.

Perez is the one of the youngest players ever to strike out 239+ in a season, and Brandon Webb still hasn't even struck out 170. Perez strikes out more guys and has a lower ERA. Perez by a mile.


What I'm trying to say is this: Overanalyzing is why we're here. Miggy's work ethic has been challenged and - while he could be a Manny Ramirez type who is an offensive juggernaut, he could also turn into the Stay-Puff Marshmellow Man if he keeps up his current weight pace.


I see your point, but I have to disagree with your tactics. You really shouldn't fictiously quote people, especially when that person joined in March 05 and you say the quote is from 2004.


It's pretty obvious (to me, anyway) that you didn't write that second one; since it's nearly a carbon copy of the first one. The method was simply to make the point; not to make others assume that you wrote that.
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby djacks » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:01 pm

I think from a Franchise standpoint you have to take Wright. He has a better all-around game and his charisma is off the charts. Wright is a much better marketing tool than MCab...although I love em both fantasy-wise!!!
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1262
Joined: 30 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Office

Postby Thursday » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:18 pm

Ever seen David Wright on TV? The kid is a media darling. Seems to have a real love for the game, and a real good attitude overall. I'd take him each and every time.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2258
Joined: 28 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 20:02 hours
(and 90 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact