Wheeler? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Wheeler?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wheeler?

Postby bosoxrock34 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:52 pm

Okay Lidge has been iffy all year and Wheeler came in the other night is there any Houston Fans who know anymore about the situation?
bosoxrock34
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SwingandaMiss » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:08 pm

umm, didn't wheeler pitch the 8th and lidge got the save pitching the 9th?
SwingandaMiss
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bosoxrock34 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:18 pm

from sportsline

i just realized the date what the 27th but.....

News: The Astros' bullpen allowed only two hits in the final four innings Wednesday. With a three-run lead and a save situation, Brad Lidge came on the ninth, striking out a batter and allowing a hit and a wild pitch before being lifted against a lefty, which Trever Miller faced and retired. Dan Wheeler finished for his second save.

Analysis: Ut oh. This stinks of "bullpen by committee." Lidge should have been plenty capable of finishing this one on his own, but he didn't have his manager's confidence. That's not a good thing. Consider Lidge the primary closer if this is indeed a committee, but it's apparent everything isn't going through him now. Consider Wheeler an option for token save ops in deeper leagues that value the stat.
bosoxrock34
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cakewalk5 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:14 pm

Lidge is entrenched because Houston's coach won't demote him. As the 123 inning a few nights ago shows. This is despite the fact most of the pitches were balls.

Almost doesn't matter if he had a 7 ERA b/c the coach is so loyal to his players. But maybe in a month, if Lidge can't start throwing strikes, things would finally change. Who knows...the fans are pretty upset they are still using him instead of forcing him to see a shrink.

At least Wheeler is looking good for ERA and WHIP help.
cakewalk5
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby KillaBees800 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:03 pm

Everyone here still loves Lidge and wants him to keep his job - including Garner and Papura (the GM). I expect they will look to get a another reliever this offseason ayway, but if Lidge starts to turn it around then he will probably be given a chance next year too. As far as the rest of this season goes, he's still the guy barring a collapse of COLOSSAL proportions. If that does happen Wheeler will get the bulk, but likely not ALL of the opportunities.
KillaBees800
College Coach
College Coach

Postby spamnon » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:13 am

wheeler had to come in again to save the game last night when Lidge couldn't. Granted he wasn't perfect, by walking in an inherited runner, but he was still able to save the game. is houston so fed up with lidge, that wheeler is the man now? or do we still wait and se?
spamnon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Starkmadfan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:31 pm

spamnon wrote:wheeler had to come in again to save the game last night when Lidge couldn't. Granted he wasn't perfect, by walking in an inherited runner, but he was still able to save the game. is houston so fed up with lidge, that wheeler is the man now? or do we still wait and se?

I have been back and forth with Wheeler and Lidge - I dropped Lidge and grabbed Wheeler when that rumor came out that the owner ordered him traded - and then grabbed Lidge again when he got that save and dropped Wheeler - now, I am just going to stick with Lidge and wait until official word - if it turns out I miss grabbing Wheeler again..........

At this point, it really doesn't matter, Lidge is too inconsistent to risk making him a starter in a weekly fantasy lineup
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby echizen » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:58 pm

wheeler walked in lidge's ER....so, i'd still say he is still closer, but prolly not for long
echizen
College Coach
College Coach

Postby beezer » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:52 pm

I just took a shot on Wheeler. Been mixing and matching closers all year since I drafted Gagne and Benitez!!!!!! Ouch. I would love to see Lidge keep struggling!!!
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dyuen87 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:32 pm

Starkmadfan wrote:
spamnon wrote:wheeler had to come in again to save the game last night when Lidge couldn't. Granted he wasn't perfect, by walking in an inherited runner, but he was still able to save the game. is houston so fed up with lidge, that wheeler is the man now? or do we still wait and se?

I have been back and forth with Wheeler and Lidge - I dropped Lidge and grabbed Wheeler when that rumor came out that the owner ordered him traded - and then grabbed Lidge again when he got that save and dropped Wheeler - now, I am just going to stick with Lidge and wait until official word - if it turns out I miss grabbing Wheeler again..........

At this point, it really doesn't matter, Lidge is too inconsistent to risk making him a starter in a weekly fantasy lineup

you dont drop Lidge for Wheeler, thats just not smart baseball.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates