Benitez out?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Benitez out??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Benitez out??

Postby KHI » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:57 pm

I knew he was on a short leash after the reports, but 1 walk???

Stanton? Is this guy gonna be replacing him? :-?

:-[
KHI
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:10 pm

No...Alou's pretty much said he's sticking with Benitez. He's just on the shortest leash as far as how long his manager will leave him in the game if he struggles. Don't expect another closer to arise from this situation but don't expect any change to the usage pattern that Alou showed today. If Benitez had done his job and got the out then he would have gotten the save. I expect Alou to do the same thing in the future.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby cakewalk5 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:05 pm

Well, he may have Alou's support, but the fans and him don't exactly have a budding relationship. The motto I hear most in the stands is "Bring in Benitez!" when the team is losing. Almost a defeatist attitude.

The fans boo him when he comes on or goes off. And he gestures to get louder when the fans boo him.
cakewalk5
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:21 am

cakewalk5 wrote:Well, he may have Alou's support, but the fans and him don't exactly have a budding relationship. The motto I hear most in the stands is "Bring in Benitez!" when the team is losing. Almost a defeatist attitude.

The fans boo him when he comes on or goes off. And he gestures to get louder when the fans boo him.

That's awesome! ;-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby River Rat » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:00 pm

FROM ROTOWORLD!!!

Armando Benitez will be used in non-save situations during the Giants' 10-game trip so that he doesn't get rusty.

``I can't allow him to get rusty or not have confidence or not throwing strikes and losing him completely,'' manager Felipe Alou said. ``We need to help him make a comeback, if at all possible. If that doesn't work, then we have a big problem.''

WHO WILL THE CLOSER BE??!!??!!
River Rat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ordinarygenius » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:25 pm

Well, this is not very clear. It could be understood as saying Benitez will be used in non-save situations AS WELL AS save situations so that he doesn't get rusty. That would be logical, wouldn't it?
ordinarygenius
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:43 pm

ordinarygenius wrote:Well, this is not very clear. It could be understood as saying Benitez will be used in non-save situations AS WELL AS save situations so that he doesn't get rusty. That would be logical, wouldn't it?

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he means. Alou just doesn't want Armando sitting around for four or five days waiting for a save chance, so he'll get him in some more games. Most of Benitez's struggles have come when he's sat for like 3 or 4 days, so I think this makes a lot of sense.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:36 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
ordinarygenius wrote:Well, this is not very clear. It could be understood as saying Benitez will be used in non-save situations AS WELL AS save situations so that he doesn't get rusty. That would be logical, wouldn't it?

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he means. Alou just doesn't want Armando sitting around for four or five days waiting for a save chance, so he'll get him in some more games. Most of Benitez's struggles have come when he's sat for like 3 or 4 days, so I think this makes a lot of sense.

Completely agree...Alou is saying that Benitez IS the closer.

However I think Chulk makes a nice pickup because if Benitez goes in non-save opp's several days in a row he may not be available for a save opp.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chinst » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:28 am

River Rat wrote:FROM ROTOWORLD!!!

Armando Benitez will be used in non-save situations during the Giants' 10-game trip so that he doesn't get rusty.

``I can't allow him to get rusty or not have confidence or not throwing strikes and losing him completely,'' manager Felipe Alou said. ``We need to help him make a comeback, if at all possible. If that doesn't work, then we have a big problem.''

WHO WILL THE CLOSER BE??!!??!!

From what I understand, Alou is conceding that the Giants stink and he doesn't expect to have many leads in the ninth on the road, so he has to put his guy non-save opportunities or his arm will fall off from disuse.
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cakewalk5 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:47 pm

Chulk looks good, but the rumor has been that Hennessey would be next in line. At least that's what I hear at the ballpark.

But this is the same organization that says Brian Wilson has closer stuff. :-t If you want to insure losing a close game, put him in.

This is also the same organization that thinks Wright is a SP, who gets lit up everytime, not a RP where he looks nasty in short stints.

And the organization thinks Durham is the cleanup hitter, with Alou as a table setter. :-? But they change minds and screw with the lineup EVERYDAY.

OK, so now does anyone really want an SF closer?
cakewalk5
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates