Cole Hamels......his future - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Cole Hamels......his future

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cole Hamels......his future

Postby scr » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:12 pm

What do you folks think about Cole Hamel's future.

Cole's strikeouts have been impressive of late, as is his overall performance.

Do you think the guy can become a stud next year? In other words, in a keeper league, is he worth keeping for 5 bucks?
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Justblaze » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:56 pm

Don't know how the all keepers, work. But, IMO, I think this kid is a keeper. He has really good stuff, and if he can just harness his potential he will be lights out. 5 bucks seems cheap. I'd hold onto Hamels. Myers and Hamels will be the aces for the Phillies next year.
Justblaze
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby smoovethug » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:36 pm

Yeah I also don't have any keeper experience (sorry :-o ) but for $5 Hamels should definately be kept. He needs to work on his 3rd pitch (curveball) because right now he's only throwing his fastball and AMAZING CHANGEUP. But the second and third times through the lineup teams are picking up on it and just sitting fastball and he's getting hurt. Take that Braves game for example when he K'ed the side twice in a row had 12 K's yet 7 ER as he got hurt the third time through the order.

Another thing that I've noticed and that has been brought up is that he needs to work on pitching from the stretch. In the minors he was lights out to the point that there wouldn't be many runners on base. It looks like when he has runners on base he's doing something differently and his control suffers because of it and the walks catch up to him. The kid has the stuff and potential to be an ace, so yeah I'd keep him.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby scr » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:49 pm

I'm in a standard 5X5 roto league, 260 dollar cap. You can keep up to 12 players from your roster, depending on contract. Typically, you draft a player at auction, and you get that price for two years. For instance, I had 11 keepers from last year, most of which I could not keep after this season. At the beginning of the year, in the first year you keep a player, you can elect to keep them for more than one year, but you have to give them a 5 dollar raise for subsequent years, maximum of 3 years.

In this instance Hamels is actually 3 bucks, not 5. I was mistaken before.

My keeper staff projects as follows:

Liriano 5 bucks (can raise to 15 for 3 years)
Verlander 5 bucks (can raise to 15 for 3 years)
Lester 5 bucks (probably just keep him for next year at 5)
Hamels 3 bucks.
Chris Ray: 17 bucks.

I have 3 more pitching slots available. I'll have saved so much doe on cheap pitching that Johan will be affordable for me next spring.
I'll draft two other relievers and wait to the supplemental round robin to supplement the pitching staff.

Assuming I get Johnan, would you folks go into next year with this staff:

Santana
Liriano
Lester
Hamels
Verlander
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby costag » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:52 am

I have watched most of his starts and he looks very impressive at times. I think his biggest problem is giving up that big hit (usually a hr) that really hurts him.

His stats aren't that bad. 63 inn, 62 hits, 29 bb, 69 k. Batters are only hitting .256 against him. The only problem is that he has given up 11 hr's in 63 innings. Usually, there are runners on base when this happens!

I don't know if it's the catcher, pitching coach or Cole that calls for his pitches but as he matures, he should learn to avoid these mental lapses or shake the catcher off on some pitches.

I believe he will be a viable #2 starter in the near future. I would definetely keep him and hope he stays healthy.
costag
College Coach
College Coach

Postby scr » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:16 am

Thanks for the input!
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 am

I'm not quite as bullish on Hamels as the previous poster. His skill set is one that you'll see a lot of minor leaguers get by with up until they come up and then get shelled. He's a great strikeout pitcher with a plus fastball and change-up but he's very much a fly ball pitcher - 34.3% gb% so far this year. His 13% park adjusted hr/f% shows that his 1.52 hr/9 ratio is only slightly elevated...at best I would expect it to improve to the 1.28 hr/9 range (barring a change in his gb%). Along with a 9.6 k/9 and a 4.0 bb/9 that hr/9 number projects him to a 4.05 era and a 1.338 whip. If he gets the command in check and lowers the bb/9 he'll be able to mitigate that somewhat (especially the whip) but he's a fly ball pitcher in Philly...he's only going to be able to do so much about the hr/9 and that will always make him risky in the era area.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:22 am

wow, dominate performance tonight...7 innings, 2 hits, 3 BB's, 1 ER, and 12 K's

i'm glad i held on to him throughout all the criticism and doubt ;-D ;-D
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:12 am

yeah i think the patience is going to start paying off. Ok but lets not forget he is still a rookie. I think you can still reasonably expect a couple of rough outtings, but i think hamels is starting to put it all together. Hes been extremely promising his past few outtings and had his second 12 k performance tonite. Ride the wave for the season but watch out for a couple of rough starts... ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:14 am

The Loveable Losers wrote:I'm not quite as bullish on Hamels as the previous poster. His skill set is one that you'll see a lot of minor leaguers get by with up until they come up and then get shelled. He's a great strikeout pitcher with a plus fastball and change-up but he's very much a fly ball pitcher - 34.3% gb% so far this year. His 13% park adjusted hr/f% shows that his 1.52 hr/9 ratio is only slightly elevated...at best I would expect it to improve to the 1.28 hr/9 range (barring a change in his gb%). Along with a 9.6 k/9 and a 4.0 bb/9 that hr/9 number projects him to a 4.05 era and a 1.338 whip. If he gets the command in check and lowers the bb/9 he'll be able to mitigate that somewhat (especially the whip) but he's a fly ball pitcher in Philly...he's only going to be able to do so much about the hr/9 and that will always make him risky in the era area.

see the thing is, his command was AWESOME throughout the minors and all of a sudden he seemed to lose it. i definitely think the bb's will come down in the future. he does need work from the stretch and holdin runners on base.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates