What does the term "Most Valuable Player" mean??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What does the term "Most Valuable Player" mean???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LCBOY » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:50 pm

Historically, the MVP voters have tended to vote for someone on a wnning team. Normally winning teams have most best the players. A player on a losing team win can win if they've had a monster or historic year. Clearly, Arod had an hisotric year in 2002. Last season ARod had the greatest season by a SS other than Honus Wagner. He should have won it. But the MVP voters are biased against players on losing team. Is this fair or not? It doesn't matter becasue that's how it is and it probably will not change.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:52 pm

LCBOY wrote:
Madison wrote:So Arod was punished because he has better hitters around him and a better park for hitters?

I guess Oakland's fantastic pitching along with Eric Chavez didn't help the big second half streak for Oakland last year either, huh?

I'm not trying to be arguementative, I just feel like Arod was robbed last year and it seems like Pujols will be robbed this year. Irritates me when the best players get overlooked for no real reason.

But Pujols is not he best player this year so he won't be robbed.

That's a matter of opinion that we will have to agree to disagree on.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LCBOY » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:02 pm

Madison wrote:
LCBOY wrote:
Madison wrote:So Arod was punished because he has better hitters around him and a better park for hitters?

I guess Oakland's fantastic pitching along with Eric Chavez didn't help the big second half streak for Oakland last year either, huh?

I'm not trying to be arguementative, I just feel like Arod was robbed last year and it seems like Pujols will be robbed this year. Irritates me when the best players get overlooked for no real reason.

But Pujols is not he best player this year so he won't be robbed.

That's a matter of opinion that we will have to agree to disagree on.

Agreed! ;-D
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Zot » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:27 pm

All Valid arguments, However, unless someone on this thread gets to actually VOTE for the MVP, it's all conjecture. None of our opinions will matter when it gets down to it, and all us seamheads will continue to be frustrate by the process....HEY, maybe Selig will decide this process needs to be jazzed up, and open it up to internet voting by the fans!!!!
The Zot

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby LCBOY » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:05 pm

The Zot wrote:All Valid arguments, However, unless someone on this thread gets to actually VOTE for the MVP, it's all conjecture. None of our opinions will matter when it gets down to it, and all us seamheads will continue to be frustrate by the process....HEY, maybe Selig will decide this process needs to be jazzed up, and open it up to internet voting by the fans!!!!

No! No fan voting!!! Look at the All-Star game voting, totally ridiculous! :-t
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:25 pm

LCBOY wrote:
The Zot wrote:All Valid arguments, However, unless someone on this thread gets to actually VOTE for the MVP, it's all conjecture. None of our opinions will matter when it gets down to it, and all us seamheads will continue to be frustrate by the process....HEY, maybe Selig will decide this process needs to be jazzed up, and open it up to internet voting by the fans!!!!

Guess what LCBOY? We actually do agree on that one! ;-D NO to fan voting for MVP. That would not be the way to go.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:32 pm

LCBOY wrote:

I agree. That would certainly set up an Ichiro MVP award with Matsui 2nd.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby The Zot » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:05 pm

Of course i was being VERY sarcastic. There is no way that should be opened up for a vote to the fans........ :-t

But you gotta believe that Selig is THINKING about it...based on past history
The Zot

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby blankman » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:12 pm

Dear Lord, please no internet voting! Ichiro would win it for the next 15 years, even after he retires. Yuck :-P

If Selig were to ever do that, I think I might just have to quit being a baseball fan and that would be sad- for me at least
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers