What does the term "Most Valuable Player" mean??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What does the term "Most Valuable Player" mean???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What does the term "Most Valuable Player" mean???

Postby eftda » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:15 pm

is the thread to end all threads on the topic of: What does the term: "Most Valuable" mean?

we are talking about the MVP race, not this years MVP but the MVPs of the past. Sosa, Juan Gone, Mays, Maris, Mattle, the list goes on...

Lets NOT debate about this years MVP because I think everyone is sick of the Bonds vs. Pujlos, Arod vs. Boone stuff. Lets talk about the TERM "Most Valuable.

To start this off here is a topic: Does the player who receives the MVP, have to make it to the playoffs...
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What does the term "Most Valuable Player" mean???

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:47 pm

eftda wrote:To start this off here is a topic: Does the player who receives the MVP, have to make it to the playoffs...

No. It says right on the ballot that the player you vote for does not have to make the playoffs.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pkarr5000 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:49 pm

albert pujols will win it. just accept it.
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: What does the term "Most Valuable Player" mean???

Postby blankman » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:52 pm

Madison wrote:
eftda wrote:To start this off here is a topic: Does the player who receives the MVP, have to make it to the playoffs...

No. It says right on the ballot that the player you vote for does not have to make the playoffs.

Which is exactly why A-Rod should have won it last year over Tejada. Didn't A-Rod also have more Win Shares than Tejada? I don't think the Win Shares stat is perfect by any means, but I think its a good measuring stick along with the obvious numbers (hr/rbi/avg etc)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby jdh » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:32 pm

Most valuable player means player that is most valuable to his team. It doesn't mean the player who had the best statistical year. No, of course the MVP doesn't have to play for a team that makes the playoffs, but that certainly helps his cause.

Bottom line, even as a Cards fan, Bonds has to win it. The Giants are a sub-500 team without Bonds in the lineup and playing .700 baseball with him in the lineup. The loss of Pujols to the Cardinals would be devestating, but nowhere near not having Bonds does to the Cards. That is the definition of MVP, so Bonds is it.

Also, you could well argue that even though Bonds' RBI numbers may not be as high as Pujols', that is actually more a fixture of his own greatness than of him having an inferior year. Since he is so feared and walked so often, he does not have the chance to put up gaudy RBI numbers. He also has much poorer lineup protection than Pujols. Put Bonds in the Cards lineup and he would outproduce Pujols 2 to 1.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:36 pm

jdh wrote:Put Bonds in the Cards lineup and he would outproduce Pujols 2 to 1.

I highly doubt it.

Pujols is still my pick by the way.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:38 pm

jdh wrote:Most valuable player means player that is most valuable to his team.

I disagree. The name of the award is The National League's Most Valuable Player or The American League's Most Valuable Player. I take that to mean the Most Valuable Player in the league. Not the most valuable player on their respective teams.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jdh » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:48 pm

But even if you look at most valuable in the league, it would still be the player that is most valuable to his or her team. After all baseball is a team sport, and winning, not compiling individual statistics is the object. I don't think anyone could argue that the Giants would be nowhere without Bonds, making him the clear MVP.

Pujols is obviously the fantasy MVP though, but there's a huge difference between fantasy and real life.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:49 pm

Madison wrote:
jdh wrote:Most valuable player means player that is most valuable to his team.

I disagree. The name of the award is The National League's Most Valuable Player or The American League's Most Valuable Player. I take that to mean the Most Valuable Player in the league. Not the most valuable player on their respective teams.

Again, I agree. I would also be in favor though (I believe eftda suggested this before, though we all are probably thinking of it) of a Cy Young-esque award for hitters. I know there is an award already for the best hitter (Hank Aaron award I think?), but I think that should replace the MVP or have the MVP go to the best hitter. Otherwise, its not so open to interpretation (Playoff team vs. Gutter dweller/ MV to team vs. to the League) etc. MVP gets all the attention, while the Best hitter award winner gets little, so something needs to change.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:55 pm

jdh wrote:But even if you look at most valuable in the league, it would still be the player that is most valuable to his or her team.

No it wouldn't. It would go to the BEST player in the league or if you like the team thing, whoever had the most Win Shares regardless of time missed- it should hurt Bonds because he didn't do his team any good when he missed games. The player with the most Win Shares can be argued as the most valuable to his team, since he helped his team the most, but I still think the award should go to the BEST player and not the most important player to his team.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers