Are Catchers Meaningless? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Are Catchers Meaningless?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby spacehamster01 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:41 pm

I think catchers arent really much to worry about, especially in the draft. Each year there are catchers that emerge that you wouldn't really think about drafting at all. Last year a couple examples could be Rod Barajas and Bengie Molina. This year there have been pretty decent WW catchers as well...Martin, Ross, Napoli etc. Im not saying catchers are pointless or useless, but I just think you shouldnt think about them too much. I've learned that, and now next year I'm just gonna wait til the last round to draft a catcher because there will probably be surprise catchers as there have always been who will produce from the WW.
spacehamster01
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:46 pm

I can't believe that people that frequent the cafe still use "Yahoo Rank" .. there should be a disclaimer that you have to check off before you register. Kind of like the Terms of use.

"I will not pay any attention to Yahoo Rank" x check here.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby superslugger616 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:56 pm

I can't believe that people that frequent the cafe still use "Yahoo Rank" .. there should be a disclaimer that you have to check off before you register. Kind of like the Terms of use.

"I will not pay any attention to Yahoo Rank" x check here.

Amen.
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby houstonoilers » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:22 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:Yes, most catchers don't have an impact on your fantasy team. Most players will overdraft someone like Victor or Mauer (good players and definitely fantasy roster worthy) but the difference between your #3 C and #12 C in terms of production, really isn't that much. So yes, Cs are worthless IMO.

I relate them to Kickers in football
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Diamond Miners » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:52 pm

in a 10 team league, I drafted my catcher last and ended up with Ramon Hernandez. Who at one point lead all Cs except Mauer in AVG (was batting .300), lead them all in HR and RBI. I soon dropped him for McCann who has kept my batting avg and given me a fair amount of the other stats.

So while I'm not going to say Cs are worthless like some here will say, you just have to know when and where to take one.
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NatsFan10 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:16 pm

I'm mystified why some people simply ignore the catcher position as if it somehow doesn't count. IMO, the scarcity of relevant catchers makes drafting a top notch one more important than many other positions.

Do catchers bust on occasion? Of course, but so do players at every other position. Can you get by platooning or working the WW all season at catcher? Sure, just like some other positions.

But when it comes down to it, I can sleep easy at night knowing I can plug VMart in at catcher every single game for the rest of the season and he will give me top of the line production.

Drafting a catcher "early" certainly has not hurt me in the standings, and I don't see why it would hurt anyone else as long as they have the rest of their team in order.
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:26 am

I dont think they are worthless by any stretch of the imagination. chances are if you have two decent to good ones you are getting points where almost NOONE else in the league is getting them from. I went with two different strategies in two different leagues this year. Mixed League: pay for one stud and one decent C(got mauer who I overpaid for a bit at the time and IROD who I thought went too cheap to pass up) That league I am in 2nd place or 1st back and forth all year. NL league strategy I went bargain basement.....and that is what I got very bargain and VERY basement! result: Dead last place and have been there since draft day. The results are not totally because of the catchers but they certainly have had an impact , both good and bad.

Just my Opinion,

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bellings » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:42 am

Scarcity is important, but catchers tend to be overpaid for. I think that at this point in the year, Yahoo Ranks (not O-Ranks) are pretty accurate. Mauer is 99, V-Mart is 174, and there are 8 in the 200-300 range. With all of those second-teir catchers clumped together, why overpay for Mauer of V-Mart? Just don't wait too long and get stuck with a totally crappy catcher.

I took Ramon Hernandez in one of the last rounds, and while I'll admit that his production has been a least a little bit lucky, that didn't turn out to bad. Catchers aren't worthless. Mauer is worth more than Ramon, of course, but is he worth like 10 round more? I doubt it, but it'll probably happen.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdsun1 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:43 am

If Wills started to hit for average and had a BA close to 300 then I'd say he would be the one most worth having besides mauer of course. You can't beat a guy with catcher eligibility but doesnt even play there.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pangbones » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:56 am

Catchers aren't worthless. A guy like V Mart or Mauer will certainly help your team more than a guy like B Molina, or P Lo Duca. They are more like TE's IMO. If you don't get one of the top ones, don't get one until late. V Mart plays almost everyday now, cuz he plays 1B too. So you can't tell me that his numbers are worthless. I wouldn't however draft a catcher too high.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers