whos the better owner - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

whos the better owner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby 5 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:17 pm

tianyi86 wrote:The manager with more moves could have just had 4 good SP and one open spot for hot waiver wire SP pickups. Number of moves mean nothing. One guy in my h2h league had over 350 moves and is 4th place while i made 30 moves and in first.

good job, man. I think anyone with time on their hands can make the playoffs in a h2h.
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:19 pm

I had a guy get 3rd place in a league and made only 4 moves all year, while I made around 100. Moves don't make you a better manager. Your record/points totals prove that.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Re: whos the better owner

Postby jellyroll » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:56 pm

iftn wrote:suppose two teams are tied late in the season. one manager has made 50 roster moves (waivers, pickups, drops, trades, etc). one has made 20.

There is no mention of placement in standings here (could be last place :P). but roster moves don't mean anything unless you have a transaction cap or loophole in league settings. Personally I like to let my guys play rather than churn the ww, however the true skill lies in adjusting your mentality to team needs. As people have said earlier injuries etc can cause a number of roster moves unrelated to manager style. if you want to compare managers or manager styles you will have to compare against a larger data group. Maybe ESPN or Mastersball.com can provide you data. Or at a minor level review the last several years of your leagues and see how transactions vary. would be interesting to see how much of an advantage or detriment ww churning is.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby echizen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:04 pm

in fantasy there are cheap tactics to get more play in a week.

in my basketball league one person had over 100 moves at the end of the season, mainly from picking up and dropping WW FA so they could fill in a hole for the day.

i'd say whichever manager comes out on top is the better one, the # of moves shouldn't matter - that's fantasy, deal with it.
echizen
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:12 pm

garf112 wrote:A) equally lucky and equally good
OR
B) one is luckier and the other is better

One is more self confident and one is more nervous and fidgety?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Old_Style » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:14 pm

iftn wrote:suppose two teams are tied late in the season. one manager has made 50 roster moves (waivers, pickups, drops, trades, etc). one has made 20.

which would you say has done the better job?

i'd say they're doing a fairly even job seeing as they are both tied. now, i'd say neither team is doing that good of a job if they're both at the bottom of the league standings.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:01 pm

If the 50 moves guy did a better job of maximizing his games and innings pitched, then he is better.

Otherwise, inconclusive evidence provided.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Splendid61 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:06 pm

iftn wrote:which would you say has done the better job?

the guy with 50 (made smart upgrades, always updating, readjusting to the situations, etc)

the guy with 20 (made smart moves to start, didnt need too many adjustments, has good team already, etc)

which would you say is the better fantasy baseball player?

The guys that has made 50 moves, likely didn't make "smart upgrades." If he had made "smart upgrades," he wouldn't have had to make so many because his roster would be filled up with undroppable productive players.

He's probably a flavor-of-the-week manager that BLINDLY picks up every guy that has a few great games in a row. That takes no skill, all it takes is sitting by the computer and checking box scores.

That's why leagues with a strict limit on the number of moves a manager can make during a season are more challenging. That way, each manager has to decide if a flavor-of-the-week is worth spending a move on, rather than mindlessly picking each one up and seeing if they produce.

A limit on moves is also good because it levels the playing field for managers that can't get to the computer every second of the day. Because blindly picking up every flavor-of-the-week is detrimental to a team, instead of being the good strategy it is in leagues with no limit on moves.

Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:09 pm

I would say they are equal, since that's what the standings say.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:26 pm

which would you say has done the better job?

the guy with 50 (made smart upgrades, always updating, readjusting to the situations, etc)

the guy with 20 (made smart moves to start, didnt need too many adjustments, has good team already, etc)

which would you say is the better fantasy baseball player?

The guy who made only 20. It takes more skill to project, in March, who is going to be good than it does to recognize, "Hey, maybe this Uggla guy is doing something!"

That said, it's not a terribly significant difference in moves and it could be the other guy did just have more injuries or what not. But as a general proposition, if two people are tied, the more skillful manager is the one who possessed the greater foresight.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers