whos the better owner - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

whos the better owner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

whos the better owner

Postby iftn » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:30 pm

suppose two teams are tied late in the season. one manager has made 50 roster moves (waivers, pickups, drops, trades, etc). one has made 20.

which would you say has done the better job?

the guy with 50 (made smart upgrades, always updating, readjusting to the situations, etc)

the guy with 20 (made smart moves to start, didnt need too many adjustments, has good team already, etc)

which would you say is the better fantasy baseball player?
iftn
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:32 pm

I don't think the amount of moves you make has anything to do with how good you are especially if the moves were smart on both ends
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby garf112 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:55 pm

If they are tied, then they are either:

A) equally lucky and equally good
OR
B) one is luckier and the other is better

I don't think we can tell by the number of roster moves a player has made, nor can we tell from one season's worth of data. At least in my opinion, the best fantasy baseball owners are those that can consistently finish in the top 3 or so owners in a competitive league regardless of injuries or breakouts/burnouts.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Fool42 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:00 pm

Number of roster moves means virtually nothing. A good manager will take knows when to make moves and when to stay put. If your in first place then I think you've done your job as a manager. You either drafted well or you made the necassary moves to improve your team.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Thursday » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:40 pm

The only thing that matters is the scoreboard.

I'm tops in my league with 41 moves, but i'm also in first place by 5.5 games.

Next highest guy has 26 moves, and he's in second.

3rd highest has 23, and hes in 4th.

4th highest has 18, and he's in 7th.

So, for the most part in my league, the more moves, the better off you are. I am winning my league by making the good pickups, among them Jon Papelbon, Freddy Sanchez, Jered Weaver, and Josh Johnson.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Re: whos the better owner

Postby mbuser » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:43 pm

iftn wrote:suppose two teams are tied late in the season. one manager has made 50 roster moves (waivers, pickups, drops, trades, etc). one has made 20.

which would you say has done the better job?

the guy with 50 (made smart upgrades, always updating, readjusting to the situations, etc)

the guy with 20 (made smart moves to start, didnt need too many adjustments, has good team already, etc)

which would you say is the better fantasy baseball player?

compare their fantasy profiles
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby johnsamo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:56 pm

It's apples and oranges...

One team either drafted well or didn't have many injuries

The other guy either had a lot of injuries or was a tweaker for good matchups...

I tend to be in the middle... 3/4 of my lineup has been untouched, but in the weaker areas, I was a tweaker, looking for the good matchup or the hot bat at certain spots... I lead my my league in moves by at about double the next guy, but that was mainly shuttling players in and out of three slot, the rest was pretty much set... After some trades, I've filled some weak areas so I make fewer moves now. I'm a few points behind the leader but it's so close four of us are swapping the lead depending on that days #s, but usually, it's me or one other guy who's been in first the most. He traded two of his elite keepers to stock up on non-keeper talent, I countered by trading one elite keeper to upgrade but I had a new guy I wanted to keep for next year anyway, so one of them had to go anyway, so I traded the more well known of the two.... I'll be close.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby onechu82 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:11 pm

The number of moves don't tell who's better fantasy manager than another (if the score is tied).

What makes someone better is how he handles the situation that is given to him. A manager might have had an outstanding draft with core players like Texiera, Sheffield, Harden, etc. Sheffield and Harden both hit DL early in the season and never recovered. Texiera is showing signs of improvement but he never played like 1st round fantasy draft pick. If he was able to guide his team to the top even with these circumstances, then he is a good fantasy manager.

Someone who goes through the entire season without a single set-back should be praised for an awesome draft job he did knowing none of his star and role players will get hurt during the season -- should we call that a luck?

Don't you think a great fantasy manager rises from "tough" situations? You would never call Brian Cashman a genius GM since he has all the money in the world to deal for good players. Look at Dombrowski at Tigers or even Billy Beane at A's -- they make their team good even with limited payroll budget. (I got side-tracked here a little bit).

A good manager should always look to trade and pick up FAs to tweak their line-up. No one will ever had star-studded team. A good manager will strike gold with a good sleeper pick (i.e. Liriano, Verlander, Morneau, etc.) and make good trades to keep themselves up top.
onechu82
College Coach
College Coach

Postby 5 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:13 pm

so iftn - did you make 50 or 20?

# of moves doesn't matter...unless it's 100+ in a h2h lame setup.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tianyi86 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:15 pm

The manager with more moves could have just had 4 good SP and one open spot for hot waiver wire SP pickups. Number of moves mean nothing. One guy in my h2h league had over 350 moves and is 4th place while i made 30 moves and in first.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers