Kim loses closers job - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kim loses closers job

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jdh » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:12 pm

Damn it I benched Kim based on this news and he went out today and pitched 1.2 scoreless innings and got a vulture win.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Leiter Fan » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:20 pm

jdh wrote:Damn it I benched Kim based on this news and he went out today and pitched 1.2 scoreless innings and got a vulture win.

That wasn't a vulture win at all. He got a double play to get the Sox out of a jam, then only gave up a double to close out the ninth.

Unless I've been totally mis-taught the term, a vulture win is when a reliever gives up the lead, then is the pitcher of record when the team gets the lead back. That didn't happen here at all.

Aside from that, I still would not bench Kim at all. As Little has proven time and time again, its impossible to predict what he'll do with his pitching staff.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby blankman » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:59 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:
jdh wrote:Unless I've been totally mis-taught the term, a vulture win is when a reliever gives up the lead, then is the pitcher of record when the team gets the lead back. That didn't happen here at all.

Thats also been my understanding of the term.

IMO though, its a good move for the Red Sox. I just don't see how Kim could be trusted with the game on the line in the 9th in the playoffs, assuming Boston gets there as I expect they will.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Pujols4MVP » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:16 pm

Kim was unhittable in the playoffs that year when the D-Back won the title.. except when he faced the Yankees.
Pujols4MVP
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Slugger2K4 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:44 pm

Pujols4MVP wrote:Kim was unhittable in the playoffs that year when the D-Back won the title.. except when he faced the Yankees.

haha...we killed him. B-)
[color=darkblue][b]Alex Rodriguez Home Run Count: [u]345[/u][/b][/color]
[color=red][b]Albert Pujols Home Run Count: [u]114[/u][/b][/color]
Slugger2K4
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Leiter Fan » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:51 pm

Slugger2K4 wrote:
Pujols4MVP wrote:Kim was unhittable in the playoffs that year when the D-Back won the title.. except when he faced the Yankees.

Yeah. Too bad you still lost the World Series. :-D
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:01 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:
Slugger2K4 wrote:

Too bad you still missed the playoffs with one of the highest payrolls in the league :-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Leiter Fan » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:27 pm

blankman wrote:
Leiter Fan wrote:
Slugger2K4 wrote:

Too bad you still missed the playoffs with one of the highest payrolls in the league :-D

The difference is that Mets fans weren't cocky enough to proclaim that their high priced team had the World Series locked up on Opening Day. You guys were the ones who spent most of November pulling your feet out of your mouths when your closer folded as badly as Kim. :-D :-D :-D
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:46 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:
blankman wrote:
Leiter Fan wrote:
Slugger2K4 wrote:

The difference is that Mets fans weren't cocky enough to proclaim that their high priced team had the World Series locked up on Opening Day. You guys were the ones who spent most of November pulling your feet out of your mouths when your closer folded as badly as Kim. :-D :-D :-D

So now a bloop single and an error is equally bad as 3 HR's and 2 blown games?

Hey, you can't win them all, and the law of averages was bound to come into effect eventually. I certainly didn't have "my foot in my mouth" and have to admit, you win some, you lose some, but I guess with the Mets you do a lot more losing than you do winning :-D Mets fans said they were going to be awesome last year with Alomar, Burnitz etc and look what happened :-D A similar thing happened with Glavine, when I heard many Mets fans on WFAN talking up how this year would be different :-D Mets fans aren't cocky enough to proclaim their high priced team was going to win it all. Why? Because their team isn't good enough. You have to have a good team to be cocky in the first place :-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby benjapage » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:07 pm

i hate watching fat girls fight.

go lean, go a's!

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager