Kim loses closers job - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kim loses closers job

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kim loses closers job

Postby jdh » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:13 am

Scott Williamson - R - Boston Red Sox Sep 1

Scott Williamson is expected to be Boston's primary closer while Byung-Hyun Kim tries to regain manager Grady Little's confidence.
Williamson won't get all the opportunities, as Little plans to play matchups with his other veteran relievers. Williamson also might have trouble pitching in back-to-back games due to some shoulder tendinitis he's been dealing with. Still, you'll want him active this week. Source: Boston Herald
Byung-Hyun Kim - R - Boston Red Sox Sep 1

Manager Grady Little has decided that it might be time to temporarily try some other options at closer.
Byung-Hyun Kim is expected to be used in lower-pressure, non-save situations until Little feels comfortable using him as the regular closer. Kim isn't worth having active if he's being used as a setup man. Scott Williamson should receive most of the opportunities in Kim's absence, though Little said matchups could cause him to use Mike Timlin, Scott Sauerbeck and Alan Embree. Source: Boston Herald

Basically, if they are going with a semi-committee, it makes Williamson, Embree, Timlin, Sauerbeck and Kim all basically worthless fantasy wise.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby willieroe » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:19 am

Can we demote Grady Little to waterboy while he tries to regain OUR confidence? Grady, this is the last month of the season, son. It's time to let your guys play.
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jebatzel » Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:29 pm

hope they know what they are doing in Boston

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Scoot » Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:32 pm

Oh they know what they are doing in Boston. Building fans up to only let them down again. Painful.
Scoot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby miller24 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:32 pm

Sucks for Kim.. Good thing Williamson was still on the WW.

I'll take 1 save a week from Williamson.
miller24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Leiter Fan » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:28 pm

Would you drop Kim for Williamson?
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby jdh » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:35 pm

I don't know if I would because Kim could possibly get the job back with a couple of strong outings. Plus, Williamson is apparently unable to throw on back to back days with his shoulder problems, and Little said that it won't be just Williamson, it will be a committee based on matchups with Timlin, Embree, and Sauerbeck also getting save opps. If the save opps are that split up, none of them are really worth owning, so I'd lean towards benching Kim and hoping he gets the job back.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby willieroe » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:54 pm

jdh wrote:I don't know if I would because Kim could possibly get the job back with a couple of strong outings.

Kim just had two outings against Toronto last week where he struck out 6 and allowed 1 hit in 2.1 innings. From other newspaper articles, the removal is specifically related to Kim's failures against the Yankees.
willieroe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pujols4MVP » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:07 pm

I think it's a move to see how pitchers like Williamson and Sauberback do in crucial situations and to give some rest to Kim who has been inconsistent in few games. I think Kim will be fine with some rest and innings with less pressure and soon he'll get the job back.
Pujols4MVP
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pkarr5000 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:44 pm

joe buck was right
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next