Favorite Books? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Favorite Books?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:38 pm

the Delillo mention reminded me of "Underworld" which I just read a couple of weeks ago on vacation. Really an entertaining book w/ [OT WARNING!!! 8-o :-D ] a well done baseball angle to boot!! ;-D

I liked Brave New World a lot. I still think that it's sort of inevitable once we get through the late stages of capitalism.

"Down and Out in Paris and London" by George Orwell is a good read, lots of funny stuff, waiters farting and that sort of hijinks.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:44 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:the Delillo mention reminded me of "Underworld" which I just read a couple of weeks ago on vacation. Really an entertaining book w/ [OT WARNING!!! 8-o :-D ] a well done baseball angle to boot!! ;-D

I liked Brave New World a lot. I still think that it's sort of inevitable once we get through the late stages of capitalism.

"Down and Out in Paris and London" by George Orwell is a good read, lots of funny stuff, waiters farting and that sort of hijinks.

Underworld was good, but I always have trouble telling Delillo's characters apart. In Libra and White Noise the adults and children all sound exactly alike - they're all pointy-headed intellectuals.

Have you read anything by David Foster Wallace? Ethan Canin?
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby hwiggen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:57 pm

If you like John Irving (most well known for The World According to Garp) check out The Water Method Man.
It's my favorite book by him.
I read it when I was about 19 and thought it was hilarious and read it again when I was 38 and thought it was sad. But I loved it both times.

If you like long novels, Shogun is a page-turner.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RugbyD » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:42 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:And add another vote for Ayn Rand not being a good writer. It combines the character differentiation of a Delillo novel with the literary value of Stephen King.

yeah, her prose is not the best, but i also can't say i read her for that either....
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby CheeseBeger » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:19 pm

hwiggen wrote:If you like long novels, Shogun is a page-turner.

Yes don't be intimidated by the size of Shogun! It is the best book I have ever read. Clavell is a genious!
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby KPucks » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:36 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:what does everybody think about "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley?

It is quite possibly my favorite book, definitely in my top five. I like it more than 1984, which is a book with a similar message.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby KPucks » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:39 pm

RugbyD wrote:Fiction:

(read these 3 in order)
Anthem
The Fountainhead
Atlas Shrugged

Crime & Punishment
A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
Elmer Gantry (best book i had never heard of. HIGHLY recommended)
Dune
The Time Machine

I despised Crime and Punishment. I thought the storyline itself ha a lot of potential, and Dostoevsky certainly presents some really provocative questions, but I disagreed with a lot of what the book tried to say. Also, I couldn't take the mindless ramblings of Raskolnikov after 400 pages.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:59 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:Animal Farm

Orwell was a little too far out there, even for entertainment purposes, for me. Normally, I'm amused by people I disagree with, but I think the guy was actually a bit delusional.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Big Train » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:36 am

Jared Diamond always has something fascinating to say. His most recent book, Collapse, is full of interesting stories about how past socieites have emerged and then disappeared, e.g. Easter Island, the Maya, the Greenland Norse, etc. His previous book, Guns, Germs, and Steel is equally fascinating. It received a Pulitzer Prize and was made into a PBS documentary. It answers interesting questions like why devastating infectious diseases were not passed from native Americans to Europeans in the same way Europeans passed diseases like smallpox to native Americans, and why Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizzaro and his small group of 168 soldiers were able to defeat an army of nearly 80,000 Incas at Cajamarca in 1532.

Shake Hands With The Devil was a huge best seller here in Canada. It is the eyewitness account of the 1994 Rwandan genocide by Canadian general Romeo Dallaire who led the U.N. peacekeeping mission in that country.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:44 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
Have you read anything by David Foster Wallace? Ethan Canin?

I got through maybe 3 or 400 pages of Infinite Jest and really would like to find some people interested in playing Eschaton (sp?), the nuclear tennis ball game!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk