how do waiver trades work? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

how do waiver trades work?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

how do waiver trades work?

Postby speedy27 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:40 pm

just curious how wavier trades work and when they begin I saw that Javy Lopez has ask to be waived so that he could catch on with another team. Now that Varitek is going to be out for 4-6 weeks I thought the Red Sox may have some interest in him.

thanks
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:56 am

It's not really a waiver trade. After the non-waiver trade deadline a player has to completely clear waivers in order to be traded. Using Lopez, Baltimore can place him on waivers. If nobody claims him than they are free to trade him. If someone does claim him they have one opportunity to pull him back. That's why you see teams dumping their entire ML rosters on to waivers in August and is the cause of the inevitable "Oh my God, (Fill in your favorite star) is on waivers!" threads. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:59 am

Amazinz wrote:It's not really a waiver trade. After the non-waiver trade deadline a player has to completely clear waivers in order to be traded. Using Lopez, Baltimore can place him on waivers. If nobody claims him than they are free to trade him. If someone does claim him they have one opportunity to pull him back. That's why you see teams dumping their entire ML rosters on to waivers in August and is the cause of the inevitable "Oh my God, (Fill in your favorite star) is on waivers!" threads. ;-)

Oh my God, Pujols is on waivers!

:-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:02 am

Right. And there's also irrevocable waivers that the team cannot withdraw the player if he is claimed. Example I can think of is Manny while the Sox were trying to trade for Alex Rodriguez. Manny was complaining that the Sox wouldn't trade him so they placed him on irrevocable waivers. Anybody who wanted him and his salary could have taken him for keeps.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:09 am

Matthias wrote:Right. And there's also irrevocable waivers that the team cannot withdraw the player if he is claimed. Example I can think of is Manny while the Sox were trying to trade for Alex Rodriguez. Manny was complaining that the Sox wouldn't trade him so they placed him on irrevocable waivers. Anybody who wanted him and his salary could have taken him for keeps.

I wish they used that for leverage (maybe they did) when he kept demanding a trade after that. Just tell him, you were basically a free agent and no one wanted you. Shut up and put your Sox hat on. You're not going anywhere.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby winterball22 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:26 am

If a player is claimed off revocable waivers, the team that placed him on waivers, can also work out a trade with the claiming team, or pull him back from waivers.
winterball22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby winterball22 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:27 am

If a player is claimed off revocable waivers, the team that placed him on waivers, can also work out a trade with the claiming team, or pull him back from waivers.
winterball22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers