Elijah Dukes - done w baseball ????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Elijah Dukes - done w baseball ?????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby scr » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:04 pm

deerayfan, I am sorry you don't see things as I do.

I am curious as to why management chooses not to bridge the gap or the misconception that the players and some fans (I realize I am in te minority) have of the situation.

Madden's quote certainly indicates that they (management) are aware of this alleged misconception ("there are no hidden agendas here").

A quote or press release from management regarding the USA today article, defending all of the players involved-not just the one promoted-would go a long way towards letting the players know they not only won't tolerate a player's bad attitude (they have already done that), but also, when a player is wronged by the media, the organization "has their back".

It would be wise to begin repairing these open wounds today. Young will be playing in the major leagues some day-either with the Rays or somewhere else. I am sure Young, Dukes & Upton are not the only players in Durham who feel this way. As much as these players have (deservedlly or not) received a tag, so does an organization as a whole receive a tag. If management want to be taken seriously by other potential superstars/free agents, as well as the rest of the year, they need to act positively for their players as much as they jump on players when an reckless beat writer tries to make a name on their players' back.

Not to look in the direction of the Yankees-but look at management's response to the A-rod flap that culminated last week. Cashman came out publically to defend A-rod, to re-enforce the team's committment to his (A-rod's) success. And very politely, Cashman said that Steve Phillips (ESPN commentator) did not know what he was talking about.

The media circling in Durham (a new "media circus"), like sharks looking for blood, need to be told by management to get off their player's backs. The USA today reporter should be banned from the clubhouse, and a memo to these reporters that inaccurate articles will have consequences-like getting fired and or sued.

The consequences of the reckless media have a direct impact on the fortunes of both Ray's management and the Ray's players.

Just ask Mr. Dukes. This whole thing is a damn shame.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rmande09 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:18 pm

This is brilliant. 100% brilliant. The trio is being conspired against by the media and their own organization. They just happened to choose the three kids who have continued to get in trouble time after time after time, who are known to have awful attitudes and run their mouths. They wouldn't target the KC duo (Gordon-Butler), the D'backs five-some, or the Dodgers system - they would go after small-market Tampa Bays trio who are known for their antics. Right man, right.

Remove yourself from this discussion, just for a second, and look at what you're saying. "The media is setting these kids up to make them fail." You're right - their immaturity, which they so obviously are, has nothing to do with it.

Unbelievable.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby scr » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:10 pm

rmande, i was wondering where you were in this discussion!

I figured you would have jumped in sooner.

You hit the nail on the head. Precisely.

The management of the other clubs would never permit this kind of nonsense to happen in the media. The Dodgers most definetly would have laid down the rules to the media in advance. Most importantly, the management of other teams would have come to the defense of their players, not let the media hang them out to dry.

Especially, in this instance, the media got the story wrong.

It now appears that the DRays believe at least one of their players. Where is the call for the firing or suspension of the beat writer, rmande? Where?????

Ooops. That might be considered the right thing to do.

Again with the "terrible attitudes" of these players. Where did you get that from, rmande?

Have you ever met these players?

Nope.

Have you witnessed any of these so-called "attitude problems".

Nope.

Then how do you come to the conclusion that these players are "attitude problems".

You read it in the MEDIA.

Management then enables the media to keep up the bs, by shooting off their mouths before knowing the facts....sort of like the players shooting off their mouths.....

Oh, wait, that's right...it's management. They are permitted to shoot off their mouths, right? Even when they shot off without knowing this USA reporter fabricated/embellished this fantasy.

By the way, after you ripped Young about his tirade in the USA today article, it appears he was right, afterall. BJ is up and hitting .500.

I would never expect you or the management to publically apologize to these kids for the last attempt at character assasination. That would just be the right thing to do.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:07 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:Let him cool down for a week or so after the story, and he will be back. I seriously doubt he walks out of a baseball career where he has the talent to be a superstar.
And then the countdown begins until the next suspension... ;-7

Shamefully you are probably right, but a man can dream can't he? :*)
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scr » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:15 pm

By the way, anybody notice Delmon was named offensive IL player of the week last week-and it wasn't for his offensive remarks!
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby houstonoilers » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:19 pm

scr wrote:Again, as for Young. It is my opinion that he is being kept in Durham for misguided financial purposes only. How else do you explain management's silence as to the recent epiphany they may have had (as you said they "understood").

I agree!!
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby houstonoilers » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:20 pm

scr wrote:By the way, anybody notice Delmon was named offensive IL player of the week last week-and it wasn't for his offensive remarks!

nice
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball