Elijah Dukes - done w baseball ????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Elijah Dukes - done w baseball ?????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Elijah Dukes - done w baseball ?????

Postby jbones733 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:01 pm

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/pr ... 62103.html

that would suck to a lose a nice lil talent like this, thoughts ???
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:03 am

I think he is pretty much just venting with everything that has gone on. I personally doubt he would just end his baseball career now before it has really begun.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby scr » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:38 am

Interesting article. Dukes is disgusted with the media.

It's like I said when the latest USA today article came out. I said it then, and I believe it now even more. The three guys in Durham have targets on their heads.

It appears the media will write whatever they have to to give the imppression that these kids are spoiled brats.

Management's response to the article, without even talking to the kids beforehand, was enough for me to believe that they are complicit in swinging the pr machine away from their unreasonable ineptitude, and now creating fictions to get people to believe that these kids are bad seeds.

They had to promote Upton because of Wiggington's injury. Even that promotion took days, because it is my opinion that management looked for every excuse to keep Upton in Durham, but knew they would look as bad as ever, that even the casual fan would see thru their story.

Isn't it just a little bit of a coincidence that with the Rays so far out of it, and BJ and Young basically owning AAA pitching, that this story comes out in USA today?

And suddenly, they are really bad kids again.

Set up, big time.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby scr » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:10 am

deerayfan, you have repeatedly defended management's postion, over and over again.

I 100%, wholeheartedly disagree.

If management understood that these kids were set up, then where is management demanding either a public apology or disciplanary action taken against the reporter?

And since management was so quick to rip these kids, where is their public apology to Dukes, Young & Upton??????????

Give me a break-Boggs never had a bad word written about him until the "sex addiction" articles written about him well into his carreer.

I am absolutely certain that you, deerayfan, as well as I, as well as 99.9% of the public would react the same way Dukes is reacting to fabricated articles, over and over again, intended to do harm to the kid.

Again, as for Young. It is my opinion that he is being kept in Durham for misguided financial purposes only. How else do you explain management's silence as to the recent epiphany they may have had (as you said they "understood").

Especially for a kid whose been literally tortured by the media relentlessly. Where is management's outrage at the impact of this crucible??????

There is none, because it is my opinion that management is part of it. Encouraging negative articles to justify keeping these kids down in the minors to save some money on service time. (Which I have discussed on other threads is financial malfeasance-but that's another topic).

Remember, deerayfan, if you can separate yourself from management's side for just a minute-the average person's brain is not fully formed-reason and judgement are the last components to be fully formed (your frontal cortex) until the age of 23. Obviously, there is a reasonable belief that these kids can be played and manipulated by the media (and the orgaization for that matter), and they are not capable of reacting, on a general basis, the way a more mentally mature individual can.

Repeatedly whipping Young for an incident that was blown way out of proportion (as you could not have known his intent-he was not in the video) is more of the same bs management has been spewing for two years now about the kid.

Not for nothing, but I would think getting behind the wheel of a car, under the influence of alchohol, with the potential to kill a person is a little more serious than flipping the bat. Management got over that one, didn't they?????

So, lets get over, once and for all, the bat throwing incident. Young served his time. Enough already.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:28 am

Let him cool down for a week or so after the story, and he will be back. I seriously doubt he walks out of a baseball career where he has the talent to be a superstar.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scr » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:46 am

Again, deeray fan, you're so quick to defend management that you can't see the forest from the trees.

Of course, Crawford would say he's "had it" with these guys. If you were told this guy said this, and that guy said that, without knowing it was a fiction, you would have "had it" with these guys as well.

Now, suddenly, BJ is good, and the other two are bad seeds? it would not have anything to do with the fact that BJ is up, finally, and the other two have been banished????? Geez, it was just last week that BJ was just as bad as the other two. My how convenient this all sounds.

Really. What did Young say that was so terrible? Please-TELL ME!!!!!

Besides being misquoted and taken out of context, the jist of what he said was that Upton should be in the majors by now. Well, apparently, management must have agreed with him, because BJ is up right now.

And who ever said anything about entitlement? The media and management. Young did not say anything about himself being down in Durham, anywhere, in the USA today article.

Anywhere.

You are basing your opinion on a pre-conceived notion of entitlement, when in this specific instance, you are wholeheartedly wrong.

I firmly believe what they are doing to this kid, and what the media has done to Dukes, is designed to sour the fan base and to deflect attention to where it belongs-squarely on the shoulders of management.

Again, I ask you-if management understood that the story in USA was wrong-as you stated they understood it was wrong with respect to BJ, where is the outrage??????? Where is the disciplany action against the reporter??????Where?

Management's silence to this is more of a reason to believe they are complicit.

And why would management parce out the article to conveniently believe the player they just called up, and to disbelieve the player in AAA purgatory and to disbelieve the player they just handed an indefinate suspenstion to? Sounds mighty convenient.

After Madden's little tirade himself last week, he sounded pretty damn consoling to BJ yesterday. "There is no hidden agenda here" is the quote this morning form Madden. Why do you think he would say such a thing, unless BJ had a pretty good argument as to the conduct of management in this whole mess.

All these things are just coincidence? I don't think so.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:51 am

raiders_umpire wrote:Let him cool down for a week or so after the story, and he will be back. I seriously doubt he walks out of a baseball career where he has the talent to be a superstar.
And then the countdown begins until the next suspension... ;-7
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball