Share your '03 Season Success Stories ... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Share your '03 Season Success Stories ...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ramble2 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:41 pm

My greatest success in '03:

Trading a red-hot Jose Cruz Jr and Durazo for Giambi about one month into the season.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

My second greatest success:

Trading Prior for Delgado and Wade Miller in the pre-season.

(This is a different league than the one in which I traded for Giambi.) Even though I had by far the best pitching staff in the league, this was tough to do. I was so excited about Prior, and thought it'd be so much fun to have him on my team. From a managerial point of view, however, I made out like a bandit. I had enough pitching depth that I could wait out Miller's bad start and have gotten decent numbers from him. Delgado's season needs no speaking of, and really helped put me in first place from day one.

My third greatest success:

Learning the value of NOT making a trade.

I was trying to move Pierre one week into the season. I had stolen bases all over my roster, and wanted more power. I almost had a deal worked out moving Pierre straight up for Dye. I really liked Dye for the year, and live near the A's and like watching players on my squad in person. But I was also working on moving Pierre for V. Wells straight up. I could have made the Dye move, but the other guy got cold feet. Rather than push him, I made the Wells trade happen. Needless to say, I am a happy happy man. It's a keeper league too, so now I can lock up Wells for the long-term.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:17 pm

congrats wrveres...keep us up to date on the playoffs....I know you will... ;-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jay » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:16 am

Keeper League...Mark Prior....Sixth round.
Zack Greinke...the next Greg Maddux. LOOK IT UP!
For what it's worth.
jay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ramble2 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:22 am

jay wrote:Keeper League...Mark Prior....Sixth round.

8-o

Who the heck are you playing with? Zombies?

Great job!
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Postby guest » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:14 am

ramble2 wrote:Trading Prior for Delgado and Wade Miller in the pre-season.

If this is a keeper league I think this is a terrible move. Even in a yearly league, I don't know if you did well with that one ... Maybe my memory is tainted because of what they've done very recently, but Prior is a top 4 fantasy starter this year. Delgado gave you half a season, and Miller is top 25 maybe but not all that great.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby demoflauchy » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:06 am

Traded Javy Lopez and Urbina (both WW Pickups) for Barry Zito in early June.
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dice » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:48 am

The trade that saved my season, in my 12 team points league (non-keeper).

Sent away Wade Miller and Albert Pujols for Preston Wilson, C.C. Sabathia, Rod Beck, and Jason Kendall.

Probably boosted me from a 7th place finish to a possible 3rd.

In my 3 leagues, I'm 4th in a 12 team point league, 2nd in a 15 team keeper league (5 x 5 with OBP and TB instead of AVG and HR), and 2nd in a 12 team H2H league, first round bye.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ramble2 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:02 pm

guest wrote:

If this is a keeper league I think this is a terrible move. Even in a yearly league, I don't know if you did well with that one ... Maybe my memory is tainted because of what they've done very recently, but Prior is a top 4 fantasy starter this year. Delgado gave you half a season, and Miller is top 25 maybe but not all that great.

Fair enough, if this was a keeper league that would have been a bad trade. But it wasn't. It's a yearly league. Even still, I can see how it can be hard to see how this was a big success.

This was a tough trade to make, but I am very glad I did it. Let's look at the 1st and 2nd half splits of the three players:

Delgado
pre-All Star: .313, 28 HRs, 97 RBI, 76 Runs, 1.053 OPS
postAll Star: .288, 6 HRs, 26 RBI, 27 Runs, .958 OPS

Miller
pre-All Star: 4.66 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, 92 Ks, 6 wins
postAll Star: 2.89 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, 50 Ks, 6 wins

Prior
pre-All Star: 3.01 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 150 Ks, 8 wins
postAll Star: 0.57 ERA, 0.70 WHIP, 43 Ks, 6 wins.

When I made the trade, I thought Prior would have an awesome season, and he's met my expectations. Prior is clearly the best player in this deal.

Delgado has certainly trailed off since the break. But he still leads the AL in OPS and RBIs, and is fourth in HR, and third in runs scored. And to say he had a good first half doesn't quite capture it. He almost put up a good season in the first half.

But Prior is clearly the best player involved in this deal. Still, I think I came out ahead.

I don't want to argue about whether Delgado + Miller is greater, equal or less than Prior. Because here's the point: Whether a trade is a good one or not often depends on your team and your league.

My pitching in this league is awesome. I knew I could win or place second in all the pitching categories even if I moved Prior. (I'm currently in first in ERA, WHIP and Saves. I'm nine Ks out of first, with 120 more innings left than the guy in first, and I'm 9 wins out of first, behind three guys of whom I have at least 100 more innings left.) Delgado's awesome first half pushed me to the top of the offensive categories, and gave me the cushion needed to take some other risks that paid off.

The reason I consider this trade one of my '03 successes was because it was so hard to part with a guy like Prior. But there's no point in winning the pitching categories by a mile if you falter on offense. Thanks to Delgado, I've been able to run away from the competition in this league. This trade reinforced the good lessons that nobody should be untouchable on your squad, and that whether a trade is good or not needs to be looked at in the context of your league and your team. That will help me win trades and leagues in the future.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:11 pm

ramble2 wrote:
guest wrote:

I don't want to argue about whether Delgado + Miller is greater, equal or less than Prior. Because here's the point: Whether a trade is a good one or not often depends on your team and your league.

My pitching in this league is awesome. I knew I could win or place second in all the pitching categories even if I moved Prior. (I'm currently in first in ERA, WHIP and Saves. I'm nine Ks out of first, with 120 more innings left than the guy in first, and I'm 9 wins out of first, behind three guys of whom I have at least 100 more innings left.) Delgado's awesome first half pushed me to the top of the offensive categories, and gave me the cushion needed to take some other risks that paid off.

The reason I consider this trade one of my '03 successes was because it was so hard to part with a guy like Prior. But there's no point in winning the pitching categories by a mile if you falter on offense. Thanks to Delgado, I've been able to run away from the competition in this league. This trade reinforced the good lessons that nobody should be untouchable on your squad, and that whether a trade is good or not needs to be looked at in the context of your league and your team. That will help me win trades and leagues in the future.

Ahh, I think I understand your motivation better now. Thanks for spelling it out ... Consider my objections rescinded. As if you care. ;-)

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:17 pm

ramble2 wrote:
guest wrote:

Fair enough, if this was a keeper league that would have been a bad trade. But it wasn't. It's a yearly league. Even still, I can see how it can be hard to see how this was a big success.

This was a tough trade to make, but I am very glad I did it. Let's look at the 1st and 2nd half splits of the three players:

Delgado
pre-All Star: .313, 28 HRs, 97 RBI, 76 Runs, 1.053 OPS
postAll Star: .288, 6 HRs, 26 RBI, 27 Runs, .958 OPS

Miller
pre-All Star: 4.66 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, 92 Ks, 6 wins
postAll Star: 2.89 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, 50 Ks, 6 wins

Prior
pre-All Star: 3.01 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 150 Ks, 8 wins
postAll Star: 0.57 ERA, 0.70 WHIP, 43 Ks, 6 wins.

When I made the trade, I thought Prior would have an awesome season, and he's met my expectations. Prior is clearly the best player in this deal.

Delgado has certainly trailed off since the break. But he still leads the AL in OPS and RBIs, and is fourth in HR, and third in runs scored. And to say he had a good first half doesn't quite capture it. He almost put up a good season in the first half.

But Prior is clearly the best player involved in this deal. Still, I think I came out ahead.

Nice post Ramble. ;-D I agree that strategy plays a huge part in what kind of trade to make. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers