Trade Deadline: Which team made the best moves and....... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Deadline: Which team made the best moves and.......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bcb » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:34 am

Twins need starting pitching - not hitting - right now.

Baker got shelled last night and earned a one-way ticket back to AAA. Radke (shoulder) and Silva (knee) are battling old injuries. And we find out today that Liriano will miss a start due to a tender left forearm. That leaves Johan as the only healthy starter.

This could all unravel quickly. And moving Garza for 2 months of Soriano would have been a big step back for the club.
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:39 am

I liked the Rangers trades. Getting Lee to go in the middle of that lineup will help make up for the lack of pitching and Teixeira's lack of power this year.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby garf112 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:41 pm

Of all the Playoff contenders, I'd say the Rangers did the best job of bolstering there team.

Of all the rebuilding teams, I was VERY impressed with what the Royals were able to do. Especially getting a professional hitter like Shealy. Now make sure these guys get playing time.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:44 pm

wrveres wrote:The yankees paid 25 million cash for some players .. No way.

Yea too bad your team doesn't care enough to do that
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Deuce » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:23 pm

acsguitar wrote:
wrveres wrote:The yankees paid 25 million cash for some players .. No way.

Yea too bad your team doesn't care enough to do that

I agree. But, most people aren't aware of why they didn't make any moves.

Who wants that garbage? With a loss today, this team will have secured their rightful spot in team history
MOST CONSECUTIVE LOSSES IN FRANCHISE HISTORY. !+)

Who takes the blame this time? Dusty Baker is in Chicago.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby johnsamo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:28 pm

I think the Dodgers really helped themselves, Lugo can be a player who gives another team fits with his bat and speed. I watched some Angels D'Ray games and Lugo was nearly a one-man wrecking crew, giving the Angels fits with his hits and speed in what should've been shutouts of the D'Rays. Put him in a lineup of good hitters and he just gets better.

I think the Angels/Twins were smart not to trade for Soriano. The Nats were asking way too much for a rental. The Angels have been hot this month, Swept in Seattle, took 3 of 4 (nearly swept) in Oakland, took 2 of 3 (nearly swept) in Fenway beating Schilling, I don't think that's a team that has a huge need that necesitates cleaning out your prospects and Ervin Santana.

I don't get the Lee Rangers deal. Pitching rules in the playoffs, but then again, I don't think they gave up much. I think the Brewers should've taken prospects, they only got decent vets for Lee.

The Yankees are going to win or lose on pitching, and Lidle doesn't get them anywhere.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dc928 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:45 pm

I thought the Dodgers, Mets, and Reds has done well. I mean Reds all of sudden has a great ballpen. Dodgers deal might hurt them down the line as the 2 prospect they give up has real value but if they can re-sign Lugo I think they made out on top. Especially Betmit he will be solid for Dodgers for the years to come. Mets get more ballpen help they need and give up almost nothing in Nady to do so. In doing so they also acquire O Perez who still has the potential to be a good pitcher.

Yankees help themself offensively by getting Abreu, and Rangers get even more offense with Lee. I mean those are all good deals except the above mention 2 teams are already great offensive teams to begin with, they actually need more pitching.

In turns of trades for the future. I really like all the small market team trades. Brewers get 3 solid major leaguer for a rental of Lee. TB get yet another can't miss guy in Joel Guzman. Royals get a solid 1B prospect and Colorado gets deeper in pitching. I thought they all done well.

I think the biggest losers are the Angels, Astros, O's and Nationals. I mean just think if the Angels did get Abreu. Sure, he is get no more powers but this guy is a on base machine and he will help protect Guerro. I mean Angels could have getting him at a cheap price like the Yankees does, they could have get his solid bat and with their good pitching will make them one of the contenders for world series. Nationals could have unload Sorieno who they have no chances of signing and yet they decided to stick with him. I don't get this move. Unless there is an agreement with Sorieno to sign for extension, otherwise the GM should be fired. As for the Astros. I can't believe they actually want to trade away Oswalt, I mean now they probably has no chances of signing him. This is get to be the dumpest move ever. The O's failed to trade Tejada for Oswalt, Ensberg and Adam Everet, or E Santana and Ayber. If this is true then the GM should be fire on the spot. I mean heck anyone should have jump on both deals, and yet the O's GM actually let it go. Tejada's value would have never be higher. Shame on him.

Anyway that is my take on it. I think even thought I think Angels is one of the losers but I think they'd do fine this year. They probably won't win it all but if their prospects pens out like they did with Kendrick then they will be fine for years to come. They have get a good core of young pitchers in John Lackey, J Weaver, E Santana, with good veterns like Colon and Escobar. They have get 2 top notch relievers in Frankie and S Shields. If J Rivera's surge is for real. Watch out for the Angels next year. But not so good for Nats, O's and the Astros I think by failing to do any deal they have set themself further from beinb competitive.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby brandnew » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:53 pm

The Braves obviously were the biggest winners by getting rid of Jorge Sosa.

Cards were the biggest losers by acquiring him
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers