Trade Deadline: Which team made the best moves and....... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Deadline: Which team made the best moves and.......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Deadline: Which team made the best moves and.......

Postby waltb87 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:20 am

Before the trade deadline came today at four o'clock, which team made the best move(s)? Should Soriano have been moved? Should the Red Soxs fans be dissappointed in Theo Epstein for not making any major moves(alot of big names were thrown his way such as Andruw Jones, Bobby Abreu)? Which "tradee" will benefit best with their new team(ie. run support, better bullpen, etc.)?
waltb87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:39 am

Well only time will tell. but clearly on paper at least the Yanks have added a top bat, a decent bench stick and a possibly serviceable 5th SP for basically next to nothing but cash. That is pretty nice and really they can't be hurt unless Abreu pulls a complete choke job.

The Dodgers getting Lugo is pretty significant too.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby beerman648 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:21 am

I am goin to say Royals!! !+)
They could(or rather should) have made more moves but they have done really well with what they had to start with. Royals now have a legitimate 1b and definetly opened up some room on the roster for our prospects down in the minors. While the royals have sold off alot of players we now have some decent pitchin prospects that I am waitin for hell one of em already won a game. I like the moves that we have made for the future with some home grown players. We definetly filled some NEEDED holes in our team while creatin a lot of new ones in the bullpen. Time will tell!!
Will not start an arguement but the yankees . :-t comin from a man who watches a "poor" team all the time.
Edit if not royals then I think the dodgers did pretty well with their last day of tradin. Maddux isnt what he used to be but it is still something and lugo is a great player. Totally forgot about them wow my bad.
beerman648
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:20 am

The yankees paid 25 million cash for some players .. No way.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:59 am

I like what Cincinatti did to bolster thier bullpen, which was awful up until they started making moves. I think Casey could help out in Detroit. The Dodgers made some good moves as well IMO. Maddux and Lugo could help propel them to a playoff birth. And obviously the Yankees improved a significant deal as well.

I think the Angels and Nats lost out alot. The Nats can prove me wrong if the get Soriano signed, though. Boston needed a SP in a bad way, but I'm not sure there was a worthy SP on the market.

That said, I'm much happier with the Yankees chances today than I was last week, which is all I can ask for.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:59 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Well only time will tell. but clearly on paper at least the Yanks have added a top bat, a decent bench stick and a possibly serviceable 5th SP for basically next to nothing but cash. That is pretty nice and really they can't be hurt unless Abreu pulls a complete choke job.

Not too shabby for the 'clueless one,' eh?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Matthias » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:21 am

The Yankees did the most to address needs and managed to do so without giving up pieces that really hurt them. I have to say they are the most improved from this time last week.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bellings » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:53 am

I'm gonna say that the Twins decision to lable Garza "untouchable" was the right thing to do. It's not worth giving him up to rent Soriano. So for the Twins, no move was the best move.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MrSnider » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:57 am

I like the Brewers' move really. They couldn't resign Lee and they got a good return for him, probably more than they really should have gotten imo. Mench and Nix will both be mainstays in the Brewer outfield soon.
MrSnider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mak1277 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:28 am

bellings wrote:I'm gonna say that the Twins decision to lable Garza "untouchable" was the right thing to do. It's not worth giving him up to rent Soriano. So for the Twins, no move was the best move.

I have to disagree. With Soriano, they would have become a real World Series threat. Now they probably aren't going to make the playoffs.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers