Mulder Injury, Implications - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mulder Injury, Implications

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mulder Injury, Implications

Postby Walden warriors » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:18 am

So, I just wrapped up the regular season title, and next Sunday (the 7th), I begin the defense of my league title. My team had the #1 pitching staff in our league this year, due in no small part to Mark Mulder. And of course, I can't use him in the playoffs.

I picked up Cliff Lee from Cleveland, as his numbers were the best on the free agent wire. That said, I"m desperate for advice on who might suggest consistency over the last two weeks of MLB's regular season. I'm not asking for Mark Mulder, but I need something quasi-reliable.

As our trade deadline has passed, here's a (pathetic) list of the best available free agent pitchers.
Jarod Washburg, Kelvim Escobar,
Batista, Miguel (SP, RP-Ari)
Pavano, Carl (SP, RP-Fla)
Soriano, Rafael (SP, RP-Sea)
Escobar, Kelvim (RP, SP-Tor)
Washburn, Jarrod (SP-Ana)
Perez, Odalis (SP-LA)
Trachsel, Steve (SP-NYM)
Thomson, John (SP-Tex)
Suppan, Jeff (SP-Bos)
Lohse, Kyle (SP-Min)
Leiter, Al (SP-NYM)
May, Darrell (SP, RP-KC)
Kinney, Matt (SP-Mil)
Ortiz, Ramon (SP-Ana)

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Does your league need a quality, outside review of your league rulebook? Does your league not have a written rulebook? Contact me! I can help.
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mulder Injury, Implications

Postby jdh » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:45 am

Walden warriors wrote:Jarod Washburg,
Kelvim Escobar,
Batista, Miguel (SP, RP-Ari)
Pavano, Carl (SP, RP-Fla)
Soriano, Rafael (SP, RP-Sea)
Escobar, Kelvim (RP, SP-Tor)
Washburn, Jarrod (SP-Ana)
Perez, Odalis (SP-LA)
Trachsel, Steve (SP-NYM)
Thomson, John (SP-Tex)
Suppan, Jeff (SP-Bos)
Lohse, Kyle (SP-Min)
Leiter, Al (SP-NYM)
May, Darrell (SP, RP-KC)
Kinney, Matt (SP-Mil)
Ortiz, Ramon (SP-Ana)

Well, there's a lot of decent options here, so much so that I'd consider subbing these guys in on a start by start basis based on matchups rather than going with one pitcher for the whole playoffs.

First, here are the ones I'd avoid:

Suppan: has been horrible since coming to the AL and is being skipped in the rotation
Soriano: is in long relief and probably will stay there with Garcia pitching better lately
Thomson: I would never trust a Texas pitcher given the park they pitch in
Kinney: was good early in the season but came back to earth quickly
Ortiz: too many homers and walks given up, hurts your WHIP and ERA usually even when he gets a win and gets really shellacked from time to time.
Pavano: too erratic to trust. Follows a couple good start by absolutely putrid ones (ie 8 ER in 0 IP at Boston)

Here are some options you might want to look at using on spot start basis:

1. Leiter and Trachsel: Very hot lately (2.16 and 2.10 August ERAs). However, they have a tough schedule with divisional play in a brutal division with the Braves, Phillies, Marlins and Expos and the Mets ability to give run support for wins could be suspect.
2. Escobar: He's great on the road and awful at home (6.18/2.18 home/road ERA splits). Good start on the road against probably every AL team except Yanks and BoSox.
3. Perez: opposite of Escobar; great at home and terrible on the road (3.03/5.82). He also tends to throw a great game when he's on and if he is could win you a week.
4. Washburn: Has been solid in August (3.29 ERA). He gives up alot of HR so he is probably a good start against teams that don't have alot of great power hitters (ie Oakland and Seattle), but to be avoided against teams like Texas.
5. Batista: Very streaky but has been remarkably solid all year. (3.00 first half ERA/3.00 second half ERA). DBacks offensive support is a problem, but I would start him against all but the strongest offenses. He hasn't given up more than 5 ER in a game this year, and has given up more than 3 ER only 6 times in 31 games.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:28 am

Batista, Escobar, Perez. You've got some decent choices. I play in 5 leagues and those 3 are not availiable in any of them.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pkarr5000 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:43 am

escobar
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby demoflauchy » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:35 am

Batista and Escobar would be my two choices
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:25 pm

Escobar is going to be traded very soon, so he will probably go to a contender and should do pretty well, even though he has sucked recently.
I would also look at Od. Perez and Ramon Ortiz. They're solid as the last man in your rotation.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:32 pm

Escobar won't be traded now, because it's past the playoff roster deadline. Any team that acquires him now wouldn't be able to use him in the playoffs, which really would defeat the point. The Jays are trying to sign him to a long term deal.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:24 pm

I would probably go Leiter, Perez, Trachsel.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Return to Baseball Leftovers