Detroit's 1st base/DH logjam - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Detroit's 1st base/DH logjam

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Detroit's 1st base/DH logjam

Postby T_Majik » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:32 am

With Casey coming over in the trade, how does this work out for Young, Thames and Monroe? Shelton is gone so I guess we can assume Casey is gonna play first. Does Dimitri go back to DH? What about Thames and Monroe? Any thoughts anyone?
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. ~Ted Williams
T_Majik
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dannomyte » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:53 am

I'm not sure but I think Thames will be the odd man out. Atleast, until Casey gets hurt! Dmitri showed tonight that he can't play 1B consistantly and why would he with Sean Casey on the roster.

Craig Monroe is the hottest Tigers hitter so he is going to be in the line-up almost every day. Atleast until he cools off.

Dmitri has been hitting the ball well left handed but struggling bigtime right handed. If he doesn't get that straightened out soon it wouldn't suprise me one bit to see him sitting against most lefties and Thames getting the start. barring that happening DY is the every day DH.

Sean Casey is going to be the every day 1B without question as long as he's healthy. Especially after watching DY and his 3 boneheaded errors tonight(should've been 4).

Thames is struggling bigtime hitting under .200 over the last month. His last couple games it actually looks like he might be breaking out of his slump. He is making good contact with the ball so it's just a matter of time before he starts finding some gaps again (I hope).

In short.

Monroe = every day left fielder

Young = every day DH

Casey = every day 1B

Thames = spots starts for Monroe in left, DY at DH and when DY "plays' 1B to give Casey a day of rest.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby T_Majik » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:19 am

That was along the lines I was thinking. I actually have seen Thames being dropped in several of the leagues that I am in since the Casey trade. Hopefully Young can keep hitting ...I snagged him before he came back ;-D . He can hit but looks like a T-Baller trying to field it.

Maybe Thames will join Shelton in the minors to keep getting his at bats. :-?
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. ~Ted Williams
T_Majik
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dannomyte » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:38 am

Hopefully Young can keep hitting ...I snagged him before he came back . He can hit but looks like a T-Baller trying to field it.

You're being too generous with your comment about DY fielding like a T-Baller. If/when he gets more starts at 1B I fully expect to see a pop-up bounce off his melon in true Jose Conseco fashion! Ok ok maybe I'm exaggerating a bit but not much.

Maybe Thames will join Shelton in the minors to keep getting his at bats.

I don't see that happening but then again I never thought Big Red would get sent down either. The only other outfielder the Tigers have on the roster is rookie Brent Clevlen and I highly doubt they are ready to go down the stretch in a pennant race with just him on the bench. Not to mention Monroe is still bothered by a hamstring he pulled earlier in the season which is why he has DH'd so much recently. Thames is great insurance for both corner outfielders and a good bat for spot starts.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates