Miguel Cabrera: How does he rank as a keeper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Cabrera: How does he rank as a keeper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:32 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:I say #1

He's what? 4 years younger than Pujols, 8 years younger than AROD, 1 1/2 years younger than Wright and already a superstar. Add consistent production for the next 15-18 years and he outproduces all others as current keepers. Put MCab on a better team and he outproduces Wright even more. He's #1. I really don't see much argument.

I am in quite a few keeper leagues with serious, competitive owners and I guarantee you that we won't still have that league in 10+ seasons. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby onechu82 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:22 pm

I think he'll be top 10. If he ever gets moved to a better "hitting" stadium, he'll hit 35-40 HRs a year. Watch for Marlins' line-up to develop in a year or two lead by Hanley Ramirez, Dan Uggla, Jacobs, Willingham, Ross, etc...
onechu82
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jellyroll » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:22 pm

Even if your league lasts 10+ years you may not want to draft MCab with #1 overall. He is extremely talented, but is also on a low budget team and in a pitchers' park. You can also not forecast out 10 years (injury, various causes of skill decline, team dynamics etc) sure you may want to write him in the HoF now, and he very well might do it... but I'd still take him around 5-6 in a dynasty draft.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby astav28 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:01 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:I say #1

He's what? 4 years younger than Pujols, 8 years younger than AROD, 1 1/2 years younger than Wright and already a superstar. Add consistent production for the next 15-18 years and he outproduces all others as current keepers. Put MCab on a better team and he outproduces Wright even more. He's #1. I really don't see much argument.

Keeper leagues have about a 3-5 year horizon. No one cares about 10 years down the road as by then either the league is dissolved or it has been re-balanced a few times over. As Thursday alluded to, there is nothing wrong with keeping Manny Ramirez types in a keeper league. And I much rather have Manny ove rthe next 3 seasons than MCab.

Well, I guess if you're going to say 3-5 year keeper than of course Pujols. But Yanks, if you're in a leauge, and I have seen them, that has lasted for over 15 years. MCab is the franchise pick.

But most that last past 4 or 5 years have to re-balanced in some way. I run 3 of them and have had to reduce keeper counts from 8 to 4 or 5 or play cute games with protect a player, expose everyone, protect a player, expose everyone keeper picks rules so that the bottom few teams can get back into the game.

Otherwise, there will arise a situation in which the bottom few teams are hopelessly out of it and the owners do not want to pay money to continue to play. You can say that i s their own fault and that may be true, but they still are not going to pay. Maybe you have had a different experience, but I have found that leagues just become too top-heavy after a few years and you just have to do something to help re-balance it.

then play for free; makes everything a lot better :)
astav28
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers