Miguel Cabrera: How does he rank as a keeper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Cabrera: How does he rank as a keeper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:40 am

kingctb27 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:I say #1

You would seriously draft him over Pujols?

In a keeper that I was building for the next decade or more, yeah. Its simple math. Pujols is the better player and probably will be for at least the next 5 years...but after that MCab becomes his equal then his better. Also, if he stays at 3B his value increases more.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:41 am

Havok1517 wrote:
kingctb27 wrote:

In a keeper that I was building for the next decade or more, yeah. Its simple math. Pujols is the better player and probably will be for at least the next 5 years...but after that MCab becomes his equal then his better. Also, if he stays at 3B his value increases more.

But is a dynasty league really gonna last over 6 years without a total redraft?
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:42 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

He's what? 4 years younger than Pujols, 8 years younger than AROD, 1 1/2 years younger than Wright and already a superstar. Add consistent production for the next 15-18 years and he outproduces all others as current keepers. Put MCab on a better team and he outproduces Wright even more. He's #1. I really don't see much argument.

Keeper leagues have about a 3-5 year horizon. No one cares about 10 years down the road as by then either the league is dissolved or it has been re-balanced a few times over. As Thursday alluded to, there is nothing wrong with keeping Manny Ramirez types in a keeper league. And I much rather have Manny ove rthe next 3 seasons than MCab.

Well, I guess if you're going to say 3-5 year keeper than of course Pujols. But Yanks, if you're in a leauge, and I have seen them, that has lasted for over 15 years. MCab is the franchise pick.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:45 am

kingctb27 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
kingctb27 wrote:

But is a dynasty league really gonna last over 6 years without a total redraft?

I've heard of leagues that started in the 80's that are still going. Say you're in 1 and you know you're league is going to last that long...the easy pick is MCAB.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:49 am

Havok1517 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

He's what? 4 years younger than Pujols, 8 years younger than AROD, 1 1/2 years younger than Wright and already a superstar. Add consistent production for the next 15-18 years and he outproduces all others as current keepers. Put MCab on a better team and he outproduces Wright even more. He's #1. I really don't see much argument.

Keeper leagues have about a 3-5 year horizon. No one cares about 10 years down the road as by then either the league is dissolved or it has been re-balanced a few times over. As Thursday alluded to, there is nothing wrong with keeping Manny Ramirez types in a keeper league. And I much rather have Manny ove rthe next 3 seasons than MCab.

Well, I guess if you're going to say 3-5 year keeper than of course Pujols. But Yanks, if you're in a leauge, and I have seen them, that has lasted for over 15 years. MCab is the franchise pick.

But most that last past 4 or 5 years have to re-balanced in some way. I run 3 of them and have had to reduce keeper counts from 8 to 4 or 5 or play cute games with protect a player, expose everyone, protect a player, expose everyone keeper picks rules so that the bottom few teams can get back into the game.

Otherwise, there will arise a situation in which the bottom few teams are hopelessly out of it and the owners do not want to pay money to continue to play. You can say that i s their own fault and that may be true, but they still are not going to pay. Maybe you have had a different experience, but I have found that leagues just become too top-heavy after a few years and you just have to do something to help re-balance it.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:54 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

But most that last past 4 or 5 years have to re-balanced in some way. I run 3 of them and have had to reduce keeper counts from 8 to 4 or 5 or play cute games with protect a player, expose everyone, protect a player, expose everyone keeper picks rules so that the bottom few teams can get back into the game.

Otherwise, there will arise a situation in which the bottom few teams are hopelessly out of it and the owners do not want to pay money to continue to play. You can say that i s their own fault and that may be true, but they still are not going to pay. Maybe you have had a different experience, but I have found that leagues just become too top-heavy after a few years and you just have to do something to help re-balance it.

I've seen both obviously. I think its really great when people stick in a league as long as some and even inherit teams to some point. But if I were a franshise right now, real life, and wanted to rebuild my team and could pick 1 player for the next 15 or so years...the easy guy to pick is MCAB. He projects better than Pujols during that time span. When Pujols's career is coming to an end, say 36, MCAB will be in his prime still at 32. So as a true keeper MCAB is the the choice but as a normal keeper Pujols is the better pick.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:57 am

Unarguably Top 10, venturing into Top 5 territory.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby SirDunkALot » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:59 am

Heh, didn't know my post could create so much controversy.

I think this keeper league will be going on for at least probably 5 years. All of our members are active and are hardcore baseball addicts.

But, Top 5 - 10 seems to be maybe the consensus. At least a first rounder.

Are we thinking like:

Pujols
ARod
Wright
Crawford
Vlad
Manny
Ortiz
Hafner
Perhaps even Beltran?

ahead of MCab? Or where would I sandwich him?
SirDunkALot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:02 am

SirDunkALot wrote:Heh, didn't know my post could create so much controversy.

I think this keeper league will be going on for at least probably 5 years. All of our members are active and are hardcore baseball addicts.

Are we thinking like:

Pujols
ARod
Wright
Crawford
Vlad
Manny
Ortiz
Hafner
Perhaps even Beltran?

I say #6 right now and if he gets dealt to a contender or FLA improves their team (smaller park would help) in next 2-3 years he's #3.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:06 am

SirDunkALot wrote:Heh, didn't know my post could create so much controversy.

Are we thinking like:

Pujols
ARod
Wright
Crawford
Vlad
Manny
Ortiz
Hafner
Perhaps even Beltran?

I would be a bit hesitant on Ortiz because of his body type (fat slob/Mo Vaughn type) and age. I might be inclined in a keeper to go with someone like MCab first.

Hafner is not position elig, so I would definitely rather have MCab for 3b. Nothing wrong with Hafner, but DH is not where I would be starting if given the choice.

Beltran...I just do not trust him after 05. He can be a top round 1 player for sure, but I just do not have the rock-solid confidence in him to pick him over MCab. Calll me crazy, but I do not like risk in the early rounds.

I would add Santana onto the list. You could also make very strong cases for Howard and Utley, but probably not quite yet.
Last edited by TheYanks04 on Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers