what does it mean for a contract to be optioned? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

what does it mean for a contract to be optioned?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

what does it mean for a contract to be optioned?

Postby waltb87 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:20 pm

what does it mean if a players contract is optioned, such as chris sheltons contract being optioned to triple-a toledo? and what does a club option mean?
waltb87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:23 pm

I believe that players can be, "optioned" or sent down to the minors a certain number of times depending on their service, under the MLBPA. As far as what it means? It just means that they're being sent down.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Re: what does it mean for a contract to be optioned?

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:24 pm

waltb87 wrote:what does it mean if a players contract is optioned, such as chris sheltons contract being optioned to triple-a toledo? and what does a club option mean?

After three years as a pro, a player must be protected on a team's 40-man roster, or he is eligible for the Rule 5 draft. Once he's served those three years, and assuming he is added to the 40-man roster, his club then has what are called "options" on him.

When a player is on the 40-man roster but not on the 25-man Major League roster, he is on "optional assignment." One common misconception about the rules is that a player may only be "optioned out" three times. Actually, each player has three option years, and he can be sent up and down as many times as the club chooses within those three seasons.

When you hear that a player is "out of options," that means he's been on the 40-man roster during three different seasons, beginning with his fourth as a pro, and to be sent down again he'll have to clear waivers
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby waltb87 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:35 pm

i kind of understand it, so rookies arent optioned, only players that are on the 40 man roster for three years, and rookies and called up or sent down as much as the club wants right?
waltb87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:42 pm

waltb87 wrote:i kind of understand it, so rookies arent optioned, only players that are on the 40 man roster for three years, and rookies and called up or sent down as much as the club wants right?

You have to distinguish between MLB rookie and pro rookie. A team gets 3 years to do what they want with a player before they have to basically put him on the 40 man roster or expose him to the Rule 5 draft. After three years as a pro (at any level), they have to be put on the 40 man roster or the team will run the risk of losing him.

Once called up or put on the 40 man roster, a team has 3 option years with the player to call him up to the big leagues or send him down to the minors at their discretion, After that, the player must clear waivers to be sent down again or be released/desginated for assignment.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby waltb87 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:04 am

so your saying a pitcher that pitched triple-a for three years has to be put on the 40 man roster or either he enters the rule 5 draft. And if he enters the rule 5 draft, he could be put on a team's 25 player major league roster, and if the team doesnt want him on the roster, then he is waived, and once he is waived he has to be offered back to the previous team. Am i right about this? But what if a minor league player plays for a team for three years, he has to enter the rule 5 draft or either be put on the 40 man roster, he cant play for the same team forever, am i correct about this 2? If he is picked in the rule 5 draft, does he have to be added to the MLB roster, or can he be optioned down to a lower level?

i appreciate all of the help so far, and im sorry for worrying ya so much about this, but ive been thinking about this for too long
waltb87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:13 am

waltb87 wrote:so your saying a pitcher that pitched triple-a for three years has to be put on the 40 man roster or either he enters the rule 5 draft. And if he enters the rule 5 draft, he could be put on a team's 25 player major league roster, and if the team doesnt want him on the roster, then he is waived, and once he is waived he has to be offered back to the previous team. Am i right about this? But what if a minor league player plays for a team for three years, he has to enter the rule 5 draft or either be put on the 40 man roster, he cant play for the same team forever, am i correct about this 2? If he is picked in the rule 5 draft, does he have to be added to the MLB roster, or can he be optioned down to a lower level?

i appreciate all of the help so far, and im sorry for worrying ya so much about this, but ive been thinking about this for too long

A player at any pro level Rookie through AAA has 3 years before he must be put on the 40 man roster or exposed to the Rule 5 draft. Once on the 40 man roster, he can be come and go to the Majors for the next 3 seasons. He can be left in the minors all 3 of those seasons too. There are rules for minor league free agents, but I am not familiar with them.

As to the Rule 5 draft, basically it is as follows:
A player not on a team's Major League 40-man roster is eligible for the Rule 5 draft if: the player was 18 or younger when he first signed a pro contract and this is the fourth Rule 5 draft since he signed, OR if he was 19 or older when he first signed a pro contract and this is the third Rule 5 draft since he signed.

A player drafted onto a Major League roster in the Rule 5 draft must remain in the majors (on the 25-man active roster or the DL) for all of the subsequent season, or the drafting club must attempt to return him to his original club. However, since a returned Rule 5 player must first be placed on outright waivers, a third club could claim the player off waivers. But of course, that club would then also have to keep him in the majors all season, or offer him back to his original club.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby T_Majik » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:14 am

http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

This article explains Rule 5 among other things. Hope this helps.
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. ~Ted Williams
T_Majik
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:15 am

T_Majik wrote:http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

This article explains Rule 5 among other things. Hope this helps.

Basically where I got the info.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby waltb87 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:23 am

well i definitely know more about what i started off with, and its not concrete in my head, but ive got most of it....thanks for the help yall
waltb87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers