Carlos Quentin - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Quentin

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby garf112 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:47 pm

Quentin is going to be an excellent hitter. Possible future batting champion (in fact I think he and Conor Jackson will be battling for those titles in a couple of years). Quentin will be the better of the two. Unfortunately, I don't see Quentin getting enough at bats this year to make a difference on a fantasy team this year.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:44 pm

I'm not as optimistic on Quentin's power potential as everyone here is. I think he'll be good, don't get me wrong, but I think his strength won't be in his power numbers. His path through the minors proved that he is an invariably consistent OBP guy, and that's where his value will lie.

I traded to get him into my minors system with the expectations of many, many .300 AVG/.400 OBP/25 HR/90 RBI seasons in my head. I play weekly, H2H, and the consistency those numbers provide - if I can get it - would be a boon to me insomuch as it will allow me to go out and get some riskier players to round out my squad.

FWIW, the boys over at FirstInning.com, and their "FiPro" system, state these ten player-years as being Quentin's most similar comparisons:

Similarity Score Player Year
69 Jason Hart 2000
68 Jonny Gomes 2003
67 Drew Henson 2002
65 Ryan Garko 2004
62 Michael Cuddyer 2002
60 Ryan Ludwick 2001
59 Xavier Nady 2002
58 Hee Seop Choi 2001
58 Aramis Ramirez 2000
57 Dave Kelton 2003

Not exactly a lot of big names on that list, huh?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:47 pm

BTW, put me down as hoping he doesn't get many ABs this year. If he stays below 130 (aka "rookie") ABs, I can keep him in my minors all of next year.

I'm so selfish... :-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby garf112 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:58 pm

Those comparisons are a bit off if you ask me... First off, those are for specific years, not for minor league career numbers. Quentin has all of those guys by at least .20 and in most cases .40 in OBP. Whether or not his power develops is anybody's guess. Also, most of those hitters did not follow their success in AA up with success in AAA. Quentin's OBP was .424 this year and he had 30 doubles and 9 HRs. That's the difference I see from checking on your Jason Harts.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:23 pm

garf112 wrote:Those comparisons are a bit off if you ask me... First off, those are for specific years, not for minor league career numbers. Quentin has all of those guys by at least .20 and in most cases .40 in OBP. Whether or not his power develops is anybody's guess. Also, most of those hitters did not follow their success in AA up with success in AAA. Quentin's OBP was .424 this year and he had 30 doubles and 9 HRs. That's the difference I see from checking on your Jason Harts.

I don't know how they generate those comparability scores. I would assume they do it based on every category, but I'm not sure, so I won't argue. I'll just say that it's very rather rare to see comparability scores on their site that are as high as his are to those players. Take that for whatever it's worth.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Quentin

Postby hoopitup21212 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:01 pm

I hate when I hate been waiting for a player to come up and right before I'm about to get him in the FAs someone takes him and it’s Quentin! This sucks, I'm now trying to get him.
SGMKL
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=163
"When Chuck Norris jumps in an ocean he doesnt get wet, the water gets chuck."
hoopitup21212
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby onechu82 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:14 pm

I was hoping for D'backs to trade Shawn Green away to open up a spot for Quentin. I guess D'backs are still looking to make PO this year since they opted to keep an experienced vet rather than to give full-time gig to a promising youngster. Quentin would have been a fantasy stud if he was in younger teams like Devil Rays, Royals, Marlins, Pirates...
onechu82
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers