No AL MVP talk? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

No AL MVP talk?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:07 am

Where's everyone with the Win Shares total for this year? I don't know where you find them, but it would be interesting to know the totals for the AL MVP candidates.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pkarr5000 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:48 am

hudson and a rod should win
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby eftda » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:22 pm

pkarr5000 wrote:hudson and a rod should win

dont know about arod, but i think hudson or loriza. But i also thought that giambi would win in 2001
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:42 pm

eftda wrote:But i also thought that giambi would win in 2001

So did I, since Giambi should have won.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby eftda » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:46 pm

ICHIROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ichiro rocks ;-D
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:05 pm

I think the outcomes of the AL divisional and wild card races are going to have a huge impact on the outcome of the Cy Young award. I like Loaiza and Hudson. If one of them can carry their team into the playoffs, it'd be that pitcher. If both get into the playoffs, or neither do, I'd take Loaiza, simply because he's gotten more pub with his comeback, and the fact that Hudson hasn't gotten enough wins. I disagree with the wins thing, but that's probably how it's going to go.

Like Madison said, there's no clear cut winner for MVP. If this was voted on today, it'd probably be A-Rod. We'll see how the last month shapes up, though.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:01 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:
Madison wrote:I think if Arod manages to get 50 home runs that should make him a lock for AL MVP even though the Rangers stink. Especially with the voters knowing that they gave him the short end of the stick last year by giving it to Tejada. No one really stands out in the AL right now, so the last month will make a big difference on who gets it.

I don't usually disagree with you, Madison, but I have to here. I would NEVER cast my vote for MVP for a player on a sub-.500 team, even if he hit 70 homers. Who the heck is A-Rod most valuable to if his team is in the toilet??? He's only valuable to himself!!!! Giving him the MVP would be a joke, and a disgrace to the award.

Barring any changes, I think you have to give it to Brett Boone. He is the backbone of the Mariners offense. No other player is individually depended on as much as he is by his team (Nomar and Manny are equally important to Boston, Giambi can hit it out of the park but has had a crappy batting average all year, Soriano has fallen apart, and Tejada will never fully recover from his lousy first half).

Everyone has their own opinion on what the Most Valuable Player means. I've had the debate many times about it. For me, the Most Valuable Player does not have to get his team to the playoffs or even above .500. I could care less where the team finishes in the standings. I don't feel like a player should be punished for not having a good supporting cast around him. In Arod's case, no pitching. The Most Valuable Player is exactly that--The Most Valuable Player. Not the Most Valuable Player Who Got Their Team To The Playoffs. With that said, Arod is the leading candidate right now. September will decide who the final winner ends up being. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Leiter Fan » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:25 pm

Madison wrote:
Leiter Fan wrote:
Madison wrote:I think if Arod manages to get 50 home runs that should make him a lock for AL MVP even though the Rangers stink. Especially with the voters knowing that they gave him the short end of the stick last year by giving it to Tejada. No one really stands out in the AL right now, so the last month will make a big difference on who gets it.

I don't usually disagree with you, Madison, but I have to here. I would NEVER cast my vote for MVP for a player on a sub-.500 team, even if he hit 70 homers. Who the heck is A-Rod most valuable to if his team is in the toilet??? He's only valuable to himself!!!! Giving him the MVP would be a joke, and a disgrace to the award.

Barring any changes, I think you have to give it to Brett Boone. He is the backbone of the Mariners offense. No other player is individually depended on as much as he is by his team (Nomar and Manny are equally important to Boston, Giambi can hit it out of the park but has had a crappy batting average all year, Soriano has fallen apart, and Tejada will never fully recover from his lousy first half).

Everyone has their own opinion on what the Most Valuable Player means. I've had the debate many times about it. For me, the Most Valuable Player does not have to get his team to the playoffs or even above .500. I could care less where the team finishes in the standings. I don't feel like a player should be punished for not having a good supporting cast around him. In Arod's case, no pitching. The Most Valuable Player is exactly that--The Most Valuable Player. Not the Most Valuable Player Who Got Their Team To The Playoffs. With that said, Arod is the leading candidate right now. September will decide who the final winner ends up being. ;-)

Would you agree then that they should just scrap the Most Valuable Player Award and instate a Best Offensive Player Award? The Cy Young award doesn't give consideration to team standing. However, I feel that the MVP award most certainly should since pitchers are ALSO eligible for that.

Otherwise, you can make an equally compelling argument to award the World Series MVP award to a member of the losing team, if he puts up better offense than any player on the World Champions.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:38 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:Would you agree then that they should just scrap the Most Valuable Player Award and instate a Best Offensive Player Award? The Cy Young award doesn't give consideration to team standing. However, I feel that the MVP award most certainly should since pitchers are ALSO eligible for that.

Otherwise, you can make an equally compelling argument to award the World Series MVP award to a member of the losing team, if he puts up better offense than any player on the World Champions.

I like the Most Valuable Player title for the award. It also states on the ballots that the player's team does not have to make the playoffs in order to win the award. There's a copy of what a ballot looks like in one of the threads on this discussion. They do give the Silver Slugger for the best hitter, but with very little publicity.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LCBOY » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:38 pm

Madison wrote:
Leiter Fan wrote:

Ok, I undastand your point but you haven't defined what "Most Valuable" means.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers