Server Move - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Server Move

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:52 pm

WOW lightning QUICK now! ;-D ;-D ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby smoovethug » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:21 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:will there still be the down time at 5 am???

Yeah I was wondering that as well but forgot to ask. :-?

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 87)

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:00 pm

smoovethug wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:will there still be the down time at 5 am???

Yeah I was wondering that as well but forgot to ask. :-?

For me it's 4 AM. :-b

To answer the question though, yes, backups will continue to run just like they always have. A solution to that is in the works though, and it seems we're leaning toward a complete backup once a week instead of every night. Not sure that's the way we will go, but we are working on a solution to that particular problem. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:07 pm

Mad, when you say complete backup, what exactly does that mean? If the site is down for an hour once a week around 4-5AM does that mean that come Sunday there will be 7 hours of downtime? :-? I assume not, but that's the way my train of thought follows.... :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Tavish » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:46 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Mad, when you say complete backup, what exactly does that mean? If the site is down for an hour once a week around 4-5AM does that mean that come Sunday there will be 7 hours of downtime? :-? I assume not, but that's the way my train of thought follows.... :-b

The time it takes to do a backup remains the same. The downside to weekly vs daily is that if say the Cafe hiccups on Friday you can't reset the information to Thursday, only the previous Sunday.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:50 pm

Tavish wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Mad, when you say complete backup, what exactly does that mean? If the site is down for an hour once a week around 4-5AM does that mean that come Sunday there will be 7 hours of downtime? :-? I assume not, but that's the way my train of thought follows.... :-b

The time it takes to do a backup remains the same. The downside to weekly vs daily is that if say the Cafe hiccups on Friday you can't reset the information to Thursday, only the previous Sunday.

I see. Well thank you Tavish for the clarification.

Pro's and Con's to both, but I see why the switch would be beneficial. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:51 pm

Tavish wrote:

Yep, it should be pretty close. We wouldn't schedule anything on a regular basis that took us offline (basically) for 7 straight hours. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:24 am

Madison wrote:
Tavish wrote:

Yep, it should be pretty close. We wouldn't schedule anything on a regular basis that took us offline (basically) for 7 straight hours. :-D

what exactly is the "backup" for? to save information on the site or somethin like that? how come other sites dont seem to have this? (or at least ive never seen it)

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby menyak » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:27 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
Madison wrote:
Tavish wrote:

what exactly is the "backup" for? to save information on the site or somethin like that? how come other sites dont seem to have this? (or at least ive never seen it)

Other sites aren't that big! :-D

No seriously, it depends on what kind of backup solution you have. I know other sites that have a nightly backup & maintainance window, but if you have a multi-disk or multi-server setup, you can configure the system to backup on the fly every time something is changed, so there is no one-time delay to catch up on it. Another issue is that we still carry around ALL the data of 4 1/2 years. Personally I like the idea of having a complete archive when you search, but in the long run we'll probably need to find a smart way to determine stuff to get rid of (or at least to put into a REAL archive).

Back to the actual question, though - the idea is to do incremental backups, so just save what's been changed in a day, and not the full database every time (that's a bit tricky, but can be done). You bet that it takes less time to store the data of one day vs. the data of 1,500 days! :-b
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk