Joel Guzman - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Joel Guzman

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joel Guzman

Postby beezer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:54 pm

Is this guy gonna get a shot with the Rays or is he going to AAA? Sounds like he is a star waiting to happen. Any info??
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby beezer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:56 pm

Just got this off Rotoworld:

Joel Guzman-3B-Devil Rays Jul. 31 - 5:53 pm et

Devil Rays acquired infielder-outfielder Joel Guzman and outfielder Sergio Pedroza from the Dodgers for infielder Julio Lugo.

No word yet on whether Guzman will be promoted to the majors. He might have to spend some time in Triple-A Durham before he gets an opportunity. Guzman is just 21, and though he can struggle to make contact, he has 35- or 40-homer potential. It's likely to be a few years before he turns into an above average regular, but that the Rays got him for two months of Julio Lugo was a great trade for them
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby DaCowGod » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:36 pm

I have no inside news, nor have I heard much, and am going strictly off speculation and guess-work... but I don't think Guzman will get an immediate callup. They appear to be locked into Upton at 3B, and the Rays are notorious (as has become obvious lately) for holding back prospects for service time. If Guzman comes up this year, I'd bet it's late in the year, to keep his service time low and keep ROY eligibility for next year.

Keeper leaguers should jump though, because Guzman will probably be on a quicker track in Tampa than LA, simply for position availability. And if I had to take a wild guess on who the "next David Wright" would be, I'd take a real hard look at putting my money on Guzman. Expect him to be rumored to take either SS or 3B next year (depending on Upton's defensive progress), but don't make any drastic moves for him this year until you hear good reason.

Moo.
DaCowGod
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Real_Deal_Ryan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:00 am

I think the Dodgers are retarded for trading Guzman and Pedroza. Both are quality prospects, with Guzman being the far better one, but Pedroza is no slouch. This trade will come back to haunt LA down the road.
Real_Deal_Ryan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby dc928 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:11 pm

Real_Deal_Ryan wrote:I think the Dodgers are retarded for trading Guzman and Pedroza. Both are quality prospects, with Guzman being the far better one, but Pedroza is no slouch. This trade will come back to haunt LA down the road.

That is my 1st thought but the truth is, if Dodgers can re-sign Lugo and I think they will, that makes this trade okay. Joel Guzman has no real positions with the Dodgers now that they have Betmit and their OF is set with M Kamp, Ethier and JD Drew. But I say it is a really good trade for TB because they get a top notch prospect for someone they have no chance to re-sign.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dc928 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:14 pm

I heard somewhere that he is being sent to Triple A to learn to play 1B. He might get a call up later on to play 1st and if Upton can't cut it playing 3B he can play there too.

I don't think he has much value this year but he will be a stud later on. Keeper leaguer should definately pick him up.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates