stop giving these people your money. it's the only way things will ever change
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby sisyphus » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:11 pm

Actually....the only way this will change is if ownership isn't allowed to cash the Yankee luxury tax checks. They have shown since 1992 that they don't give a $%## about Pirate fans or baseball in general. Just another tax shelter and means to make a profit. An absolute load of......!!!! I'm sure Littlefield gets a contract extention and raise.

Why can I not just move on....
sisyphus
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:47 am

I know you mean well, man...but it can't work for me. I say preach it to the idiots that go to the Fireworks and Bobbleheads nights...I really feel they are the problem. :-t

I'm going to go no matter what because I love baseball, I love live baseball, and I love the team; they have my money either way. It's the people that couldn't care less for the actual game that go for the free crap...they're the ones giving them extra revenue. There's a giveaway at almost every game, and I'll bet that anywhere from 5000-20000 people on a given night go just for the giveaway.

Think about it - they sold out for Sean Casey bobbleheads and Barry Bonds...and Casey was traded two days later! 8-o

Those owners found the perfect goldmine in a town that loves sports, and it's truly depressing that they keep capitalizing on it. :,-(
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sisyphus » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:20 am

But you see, that is exactly the problem and the reason why it will continue. They don't go to see a winning team....they could care less. I think after as many consecutive losing seasons as this team has had it is clear the fans will come as long as some type of circus act is given to them surrounding the game..ie..fireworks, mascots. Ownership can clearly count on making money there despite bad baseball. The only way to have things change is for the game of baseball to make a situation where owners like McClatchy lose money by fielding bad baseball teams. Unfortunately, Bud and the boys like owners of the McClatchy ilk. They are stable owners. Other owners can count on them to put out a mediocre team, which will allow the better teams to pad their records. McClatchy getting the luxury checks as a bribe. A change in ownership brings a change in operating procedure/philosophy. When they lose money or get bored, or get offered more money than they can make holding the team, is the day the darkness lifts. I continue to hope...... :~(
sisyphus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby suitechic1979 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:50 pm

When I was younger my mom took me to Pirate games because she was a fan. I will admit they were doing a lot better back then. I remember rooting for Andy Van Slyke. He was my all time favorite player.

I think now people who go to the games go for something to do, to get out of the house. A sports game is always fun. It is something that you can take your family too. Also those who go to the game may have city pride. Even though that the Pirates are not doing so well... they try to root them on.. give them support.

These are just my ideas...
Health Tip: Stay away from diet pills like [url=http://www.worldchildfree.org/lipozene-review.php]Lipozene Diet Pill[/url], [url=http://www.worldchildfree.org/medifast-review.php]Medi Fast[/url]
suitechic1979
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Pittsburgh Pirates