100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano stays put (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:25 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:I still think he gets dealt in a deal. DFA most likely.

8-o If he gets dealt it's through waivers. He's not going to be DFA. :-?

Why not? If he gets DFA Was will have 10 days to pick the best deal.

No one is going to give what he's worth if he's DFA, and if they don't get what they want he goes for nothing. There's no way in hell he's DFA...I really can't believe this was even brought up.

I agree. DFA would get them even less than the 2 picks they will get if we walks as a free agent. And there is NO WAY Soriano would clear waivers. I am sure they will try like most teams do to get everyone through waivers and they will be forced to pull him back. I do not understand Bowden. This is just a horrid decision unless they think they can sign him...and if they think that they must know something we don't. I can't imagine.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:35 pm

Okay, that may be the case now but Waivers are over, I was told, at the end of Aug and DFA option never ends. Now this may not include contending teams but some team that lets him play 2B and has the money to resign him (Min being 1) could have a deal with Was after the Aug 30th waiver deadline. All they have to beat is 2 draft picks at this point.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 134)

Postby mak1277 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:59 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Okay, that may be the case now but Waivers are over, I was told, at the end of Aug and DFA option never ends. Now this may not include contending teams but some team that lets him play 2B and has the money to resign him (Min being 1) could have a deal with Was after the Aug 30th waiver deadline. All they have to beat is 2 draft picks at this point.

Problem there is that the August deadline is also the playoff roster deadline, so he wouldn't be eligible to be on someone's postseason roster. Plus, if he gets to August and hasn't signed with Wash, I can't see him signing with any other team before testing the free agent waters.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:06 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Okay, that may be the case now but Waivers are over, I was told, at the end of Aug and DFA option never ends. Now this may not include contending teams but some team that lets him play 2B and has the money to resign him (Min being 1) could have a deal with Was after the Aug 30th waiver deadline. All they have to beat is 2 draft picks at this point.

Problem there is that the August deadline is also the playoff roster deadline, so he wouldn't be eligible to be on someone's postseason roster. Plus, if he gets to August and hasn't signed with Wash, I can't see him signing with any other team before testing the free agent waters.

Well, I think it might work for teams like the Cubs and Twins. Its possible.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 134)

Postby 1337_Dude » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:11 pm

Someone had to have been willing to offer a decent prospect or two. I don't see how you can keep Soriano If you're the Nats.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bdrotoronto » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:37 pm

This is the worst move of the day. What on earth is Washington thinking?

You've got a sulking superstar who never wanted to be on your team and who you made angry from the moment you acquired him, there is no chance in heck he will ever resign there, and there was presumably a lot of interest in this guy, we've been hearing about interest in this guy for weeks or months now. I am certain there had to be at least a handful of offers that were significantly better than the useless picks they're gonna get in compensation now. Failures to utilize assets properly and take calculated risks are why teams like Washington never get any better. :-t Just terrible.

Also, perhaps I'm misunderstanding things in this thread, but how can Washington possibly hold out any hope of still trading him, either by DFA or otherwise? I thought any trade beyond this point has to go through waivers, and if the Nats tried to trade him why on earth would any contending team not put in a claim for him? My understanding (I could be wrong) is that the only cost to the claiming team would be to pick up Soriano's salary for the remainder of the year, and no players or picks or anything of that nature, which for several teams would represent a great value if it could happen.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:41 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:You've got a sulking superstar who never wanted to be on your team and who you made angry from the moment you acquired him, there is no chance in heck he will ever resign there

That's actually very false. He's been happy this year, and has said he'd like to stay there. He is currently in negotiations with the team. I'm not sure what you're talking about.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bdrotoronto » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:53 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
bdrotoronto wrote:You've got a sulking superstar who never wanted to be on your team and who you made angry from the moment you acquired him, there is no chance in heck he will ever resign there

That's actually very false. He's been happy this year, and has said he'd like to stay there. He is currently in negotiations with the team. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The whole thing just doesn't look right. He stated bluntly in spring training he'd rather play 2B and threatened not to play over the issue. The team has been dangling him in trade rumours for months. Everybody just assumed he would gone, perhaps even him. The president of the club comes out and says they won't offer a no-trade clause if they negotiate him, which sounds more like a salvo than anything. The Nationals have been rigid in their approach to him from the start.

It's possible he's said he's satisfied with his situation there, but this is just a case where I don't believe it. Players usually aren't in much of a position to rip their team while they're employed by them. Given the opportunity this winter to accept an offer from probably about half the other teams in the major leagues, I suspect Soriano would jump at the opportunity.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:18 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:Also, perhaps I'm misunderstanding things in this thread, but how can Washington possibly hold out any hope of still trading him, either by DFA or otherwise? I thought any trade beyond this point has to go through waivers, and if the Nats tried to trade him why on earth would any contending team not put in a claim for him? My understanding (I could be wrong) is that the only cost to the claiming team would be to pick up Soriano's salary for the remainder of the year, and no players or picks or anything of that nature, which for several teams would represent a great value if it could happen.

That's my understanding of it now as well. No way he moves via trade at this point. I also believe there is no way the Twins have enough to sign him long term, as Havok was suggesting.

The way I see it, the Nats had to weigh if any offer they received was better then the two possible players they could get with the compensation picks, and then factor in their drop in attendance if they traded him. Bowden must have believed that he would be able to drat two better guys then what he was being offered. Hard to believe, but it may be the case.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:40 pm

mak1277 wrote:

The playoff roster deadline is Aug. 31.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers