Chacon to Pirates - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chacon to Pirates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby boyz35 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:41 pm

bigmoney wrote:yankees always "win" during the offseason and trade deadline because of their payroll...duh. few other teams wouldve taken on the contract of abreu. but it doesnt matter because the yanks only have one good starting pitcher, so it's not like they have a chance even if they make the playoffs. nice strategery cashman and steinbrenner.

They didn't win in 2004 when they signed Carl Pavano for 4 years 40 mil and Jaret Wright for 3 years 21 mil with a 4 mil buyout clause in 2007. That's why their starting rotation is hurting. It doesn't matter how much money you dump. The Abreu deal, one the other hand, was a good one. They gave up 4 low end prospects and some money,and got him to waive the no trade clause. That's just good general managing.
boyz35
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:20 pm

Wow. I can't believe anyone thinks this is a bad move for the Yanks. They get a useful bat for a pitcher that was going to be DFA 3 weeks ago. And once again the Pirates overplayed their hand asking for too much at first and ending up with not enough.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:33 pm

Haha Chacon... how the "mighty" have fallen.

I love how last year the Yankees fans gloated about how big a steal they got from the Rockies. Well, a year later, who looks to have got the steal? ;-7
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CHE » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:55 pm

avsfan4ever33 wrote:Haha Chacon... how the "mighty" have fallen.

I love how last year the Yankees fans gloated about how big a steal they got from the Rockies. Well, a year later, who looks to have got the steal? ;-7

Not to mention in the off season, every yank fan was saying he was a good 3 starter ;-7 :-D
ThA KinG : 55 points - tied for first place
CHE
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jbauer2485 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:22 pm

CHE wrote:

Not to mention in the off season, every yank fan was saying he was a good 3 starter ;-7 :-D

He WAS a good 3 starter until he got injured and then inconsistent playing time effected his game.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:06 am

.....the Yankees did.

Chacon got the Yankees into the playoffs last year. Without his tremendous 2nd half, the Yankees wouldn't have even made the postseason. They gave up basically nothing to acquire him, and they were able to get into the playoffs largely because of his contribution.

He played terribly this year, but he had already exceeded expectation, with his performance last year. The Yankees took a flier on him, and it got them their 10th straight playoff birth. No complaints here.

I like Chacon and I wish him the best in his future. The fact of the matter is, he didn't get the job done this year, and the Yankees made a great move by sending him to Pittsburgh for a good hitter like Wilson.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby 1337_Dude » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:05 am

I think it's a good move. Chacon hasn't been effective at all this year and Wilson can provide a nice bat off the bench.

I say good move Cashman ;-D

bigmoney wrote:yankees always "win" during the offseason and trade deadline because of their payroll...duh. few other teams wouldve taken on the contract of abreu. but it doesnt matter because the yanks only have one good starting pitcher, so it's not like they have a chance even if they make the playoffs. nice strategery cashman and steinbrenner.

Moose has been very good and Wang has been fairly effective. They don't have the best pitching in the league, but i'm sure they'll be fine.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 1337_Dude » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:06 am

CHE wrote:

He was a steal at the end of last year and he was a good number three until he fell off the face of the earth.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:25 am

As Bronx said, he was a steal, because without him they would not have made the playoffs last year.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:31 am

Actually without him and Aaron Small who won 10 straight games last season. Unfortuantely, the smoke and mirrors seem to have run out on both. I really thought Chacon would be an OK 4th Sp for us. Obviously not. Small falling off a cliff surprised no one really.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers