Chacon to Pirates - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chacon to Pirates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:37 pm

I don't like the move. Simply, they don't need Wilson and they didn't get a reliever in the deal. Chacon can't be expected to get things back together, but he could have become useful in the bullpen, since he has experience there.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbauer2485 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:42 pm

blankman wrote:I don't like the move. Simply, they don't need Wilson and they didn't get a reliever in the deal. Chacon can't be expected to get things back together, but he could have become useful in the bullpen, since he has experience there.

We've already tried Chacon in relief this year and he's been terrible and we don't really need him anymore. I'm surprised we could get anything but a bucket of balls for him.

I agree, I wish we could have added a reliever, but it's not like the Yankees missed a reliever that went to another team. There was simply nothing available.

This move might not have a major impact, but at least it's an improvement. It's one less black hole (or less of a black hole) in the lineup.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Justblaze » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:43 pm

Yankee trades look good because 1)The Pirates are idiots.
(They got owned by the Mets and Yanks)
2) They got a buttload of money.

Also they did good on not trading their "top" prospects, or at least the ones rumored.
Justblaze
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby mikegp » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:47 pm

Littlefield = Worst GM :-t Great move by Cashman though. Yanks are built for the World Series!
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigmoney » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:48 pm

yankees always "win" during the offseason and trade deadline because of their payroll...duh. few other teams wouldve taken on the contract of abreu. but it doesnt matter because the yanks only have one good starting pitcher, so it's not like they have a chance even if they make the playoffs. nice strategery cashman and steinbrenner.
bigmoney
College Coach
College Coach

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:50 pm

Its just a very short term deal in my opinion.

Obviously Chacon has been bad and who knows if he could have gotten anything together. Nonetheless, I don't think its a deal that needed to be done.

Lets hope Wilson plays well though. ;-D

and Chacon doesn't suddenly turn it around.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby klvrdude » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:54 pm

blankman wrote:Lets hope Wilson plays well though. ;-D

It's one thing to wish your new player well, but why would you wish ill will on Chacon? Just seems a bit crass IMHO.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:54 pm

blankman wrote:Its just a very short term deal in my opinion.

Obviously Chacon has been bad and who knows if he could have gotten anything together. Nonetheless, I don't think its a deal that needed to be done.

Lets hope Wilson plays well though. ;-D

Chacon hasn't done anything, and with the acquisition of Lidle, someone had to go.

Wilson rips lefties and is a solid power bat off the bench (something the Yankees have lacked for a long time, unless you count Sierra). He can play a few different positions and spell Giambi at first.

Great deal by Cashman. Trading a guy who was almost released for a guy who commanded alot of interest from other teams (from what I've read) and who can provide a solid bat off the bench and/or platoon player is a great trade in my book. ;-D
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:56 pm

mikegp wrote:Littlefield = Worst GM :-t Great move by Cashman though. Yanks are built for the World Series!

With what pitching staff? You can't trust anyone on the staff not named Moose, Wang or Rivera.

As for Chacon for Wilson. Pretty much nothing to lose as Chacon was worthless in his current role. Wilson may be useful as a part time/bench reserve, though probably not. More likely to end up with another Lawton.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Richie Rich » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:59 pm

bigmoney wrote:yankees always "win" during the offseason and trade deadline because of their payroll...duh. few other teams wouldve taken on the contract of abreu. but it doesnt matter because the yanks only have one good starting pitcher, so it's not like they have a chance even if they make the playoffs. nice strategery cashman and steinbrenner.

They have Mike Mussina and Chein Mien Wang who are both good starters so there's your first incorrect statement...And secondly they still have RJ no matter how inconsistent he has been you never know...Now Lidle can provide some decent stability and keep us in games...As for a 5th starter, Wright still is iffy so I can't really give a comment there
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers