O. Perez/R. Hernandez to Mets for Nady (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

O. Perez/R. Hernandez to Mets for Nady (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:24 pm

rototimes

Oliver Perez (P)
7/31: After acquiring Oliver Perez from the Pirates, the Mets have already dealt the lefty to the Padres in exchange for Scott Linebrink, according to ESPN. Despite his struggles this year, Perez would slide into the back of the Padres rotation at some point.

I think the deal went through
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:25 pm

Havok1517 wrote:rototimes

Oliver Perez (P)
7/31: After acquiring Oliver Perez from the Pirates, the Mets have already dealt the lefty to the Padres in exchange for Scott Linebrink, according to ESPN. Despite his struggles this year, Perez would slide into the back of the Padres rotation at some point.

I think the deal went through

Yeah, there's still no confirmation and tons of conflicting reports. I'd certainly be happy if we got Linebrink, but I'd like some sort of affirmation so I know who to root for...
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby stumpak » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:32 pm

If Minaya flipped Nady, who is more or less easily replaceble, for a top-flight ste-up guy and another decent set-up guy, he deserves a big pat on the back.

As for Perez, sure he has potential, but the fact the Pirates gave up for a song should speak volumes. They obviously don't think is woes are easily correctable, and who knows if anyone will have better luck.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:39 pm

If the Pirates could have gotten Linebrink-type talent for Ollie Hernandez, why on EARTH would they have moved him for Xavier Nady? :-? (Which isn't even to mention Roberto Hernandez)

Seriously, is Littlefield really that dumb? I mean, I'm going to be VERY irrate if the Braves could have flipped a replacement-level OF for a quality guy like Linebrink (and some change even!) and failed to do so.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:08 pm

Now that I'm done merging and hamsterizing a gazillion threads...

I would have been real happy if the Mets could have spun Perez into Linebrink since that takes care of an immediate need. Although for the long haul getting Perez for next to nothing is a pretty good deal.

The main concern with Perez has been the loss of velocity on his fastball. There were those saying that the loss happened because Perez took something off his fastball to get his control issues straightened out. The other half speculated that his arm could be injured.

Well the Mets medical team cleared Perez so barring a severe blunder on their part, the Mets got a LHP with Cy Young abilities that has mechanics issues. Maybe the Horse Whisperer can't fix him, maybe no one can, but for the price the Mets paid I'd take that gamble any day.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mak1277 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:11 pm

How truly depressing that this wasn't even the Pirates' worst trade today :~(
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby sisyphus » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:23 pm

An absolute freaking tragedy....I knew Littlefield would screw this up, but he even outdid my expectations. I'm sure McClatchy is drawing up that contract extention as we speak.

Thank God....at least the NY teams made out OK. :-P
sisyphus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:37 pm

Well I'd say that the deal for Linebrink will never see the light of day. I think it would have been finalized by now.

Obviously trading Nady for bullpen help and Ollie's potential isn't too bad, but I think Omar dropped the ball if he declined a deal for Oswalt or Schmidt and opted to keep Milledge. Obviously, only time will tell, and if that was even an option can only be speculated. But all things considered, I think this was a :-t deadline for the Mets. I still think they are one top of the rotation SP away from being a viable contender for the crown.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:50 am

George_Foreman wrote:Seriously, is Littlefield really that dumb?

In a word...yes. :,-( He's exactly what our owners want, though...an idiot that keeps the team mediocre but can still get millions of fans to come to games each year. :-t

He is unwilling to move players that have value to get value at other positions. He would rather just sell off what the team can't keep and get nothing in return...and then refill the holes with more garbage the next year. Annoying and appalling. :~(

If Perez can get 8 MPH back on his fast ball, good for them...I doubt it though. Hernandez was a good pickup. I don't see how the Mets lose the NL this year.

Pirates get Nady, a player just about as good as Craig Wilson but have "locked up" for three more years. Whoopie. :-P
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers