Big Second Half Mixed League SLEEPER: Conor Jackson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Second Half Mixed League SLEEPER: Conor Jackson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Big Second Half Mixed League SLEEPER: Conor Jackson

Postby ravenmad22 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:46 am

Shhh... Jackson is finally beginning to adjust to major league ball. All his minor league numbers suggest that he is a future batting title contender, and his plate discipline has translated to the Majors as shown by his 41/40 K/BB rate in 300 AB. He's starting to flash some power too, hitting his 10th HR on the season and his 4th in July.

Don't hesitate to add Jackson if you have a stuggling CI or 1B for a boost in BA and RBI in the second half.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mbuser » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:53 am

i think his playing time in the second half will be largely affected by what happens with shawn green. if green stays, i think he's playing a 1B pretty with some regularity to get carlos quentin some AB's playing RF
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ravenmad22 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:07 am

Good point about the PT. However, I'd be surprised if the D-backs didn't move Gonzo, Green or Byrnes to make some room for Quentin and C-Jack.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FalcoAtL » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:54 am

ravenmad22 wrote:Good point about the PT. However, I'd be surprised if the D-backs didn't move Gonzo, Green or Byrnes to make some room for Quentin and C-Jack.

CoJack has been very disciplined at the plate all year no doubt, but I wouldn't call him a sleeper. He has been very streaky this month. 2 of the 4 HRs that you are referring to came in one game. He just recently has been showing signs of breaking out of his slump. His big 3 run shot today is a good example. Just yesterday he K'ed 3 times, so I think he is showing as much signs that he is in a slump.

Because of the playing time issue I feel he will have a hard time breaking out of his slumps. Anytime you have a guy that HRs in his first 3 starts in the big leagues on top of his sparkling minor league stats (Quentin), you have to find PT for him. There is no way that he will be left to rot on the bench for the majority of the year.

As for Green playing 1st, I would say the majority of his starts will still be in RF. I also think there will be an even amount of times that Green and CoJack sit. They will not sit Jackson just because Quentin is a great prospect. He will also have his rough period sometime so I would say things will be more the same as they are now than most think. About a quarter of the games Green will play 1st.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:50 am

The D-Backs are killing me. There's absolutly no excuse for Jackson and Quentin not getting 150+ ABs each in the next two months.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:38 am

I like that. They free up an OF spot last night by playing Green at 1B and what do they do? Play DaVanon instead of Quentin. DaVanon is IMO one of the best backup outfielders in the league, but Quentin has been on fire.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Danimal » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:06 am

That CoJack name could stick!
;-D
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:50 am

How close is carlos gonzalez?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 124)

Postby FalcoAtL » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:44 pm

Danimal wrote:That CoJack name could stick!
;-D

Yeah, I love it. Schulte, the pbp guy, came up with it. Grace and Brennaman use it a lot now.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers