which FA would u sign

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

which FA would u sign

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:39 pm

probably the best FA are
1.Vlad
2. Millwood
3.Castillo

IF i was the mets i would sign Millwood and vlad but i dont think they have enough for both, so say they just get millwood this is wat the lineup would look like

SP-Tom Glavine
SP-Kevin Millwood
SP-Al Leiter
SP-Steve Trachsel
SP-Jae Seo
**Option Heilman to AAA

1B-Mike Piazza
2B-Marco Scutaro/joe McEwing-Victo Diaz(AA) will not b ready to play and the mets said he is a longterm project Diaz need to loose wait and work on his fielding
SS-Jose Reyes
3B-Ty Wigginton but when David Wright is ready Wigginton will probably move to the OF
LF-CLiff FLoyd
CF-Timo Perez/ Jeff Duncan
RF-Roger Cedeno
C-Jason Phillips

Minor league
Royce Ring should be ready around 2005
Victor Diaz 07, 08
Craig Brazzel 04 05
Scott Kazmir 05, 06
Lasting MIlledge 07, 08
David Wright 04, 05

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:50 am

When looking at minor leaguers with a bright future, don't forget Justin Huber! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Broncmet724 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:10 pm

The Mets should drop 53 million ish in payroll this year, they could afford Vlad and Millwood.

However, a herniated disc doesnt get better. So if we do sign Vlad to a bunch of money we might have a situation of Eddy after 2001, and we really dont want that. Also there might be a chance we could trade for Beltran. His speed is very nice.

Millwood is a #3 starter to me. He's not even the best pitcher on his team in my opinion so he wont be worth the 12-15 million it will take to sign him. I would like to see us trade for J. Vazquez from Montreal.

As Shea is a pitcher's park we need to concentrate on more on defense then offense. Most people who come to Shea are not going to put up big numbers.

One of our weaknesses is 2b. Castillo would be a big help, as we also lack a legit lead off threat. Dont say Reyes because he doesn't take enough walks for me. I believe Scutaro is a FA after this year. Also don't forget Garcia at 2nd, even tho in my opinion he should have one more year at AAA to mature. Adam Kennedy is also a FA and might be a better short term (3 yrs or so) solution at 2nd who wont cost much.

I hope we do not attempt to sign Bartolo Colon, his weight scares me, and 13-12 doesn't impress me.

You won't see David Wright in the bigs next year unless its late I believe.

Duncan seems overwhelmed hitting right now. I would like to see the Mets give Esix Snead a shot in CF. He has a good glove. And the sooner Cedeno is gone the better.

I also hope Mikey gets his HR record this year and moves to 1b next year. His defense is horrible, I mean I could steal on the guy, and thats bad! jason Phillips has looked good so far, but I dont think we can expect what we get offensively from him from now on. His numbers in AAA weren't that good to warrent what he is doing now.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:31 pm

I'd love to steal Vazquez from Montreal, of course, but isn't he a FA after next year? We can't compete next year, I don't think, without giving up our minor leagues we've been working so hard on.

Personally, I like the way we're heading. I'd like to see something like what the Padres are doing. Wait until our minor league guys are ready (Huber, Garcia, Heilman, Milledge, Ring, Wright, and Kazmir) and then go out and get the FAs. It may mean waiting a year or two, but that's fine if we can build a strong team that competes year in and year out.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Arlo » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:40 pm

Good point - Castillo would be a very good pickup for the Mets. He certainly would fill a need, and shouldn't break the bank (at least not as much as several other free agents...).
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Broncmet724 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:53 pm

Most of those guys wont be ready until 2006 at the earliest. This years crop of free agents is really slack, however 2004's free agents are looking much much more attractive.

I think we take a year this year (2004) to see how some of our AAA guys do in the bigs and spend freely next year. I think we drop another 20sih million after next year, maybe more I dont remember the number off the top of my head.

I think Floyd will not put up the numbers he is capable of next year recovering from his injury. Reyes will have another year to develop and see if he can stay healthy for a full season. Figure out if Garcia/Scutaro (if resigned) can play 2nd in the bigs (I don't think so). See if Duncan/Snead can patrol CF for us (Yes defensively). Wiggy will have another year to develop as a 3rd basemen. See if Phillips can hit as well for a full season as he did this year (I don't think he will). Give Mikey a year at 1st (please god move to first). And for all that is good get rid of Cedeno. Sign Trachsel to an extension, hope either Seo or Griffiths can be a 5 starter for us. And I think that about covers it.

However, I think JD will be in a rush to put his fingerprint on this team and he won't wait so /shrug, expect him waste money on FAs who isn't worth it, prolly at the insistence of Wilpon.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kentx12 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:18 pm

Arlo wrote:Good point - Castillo would be a very good pickup for the Mets. He certainly would fill a need, and shouldn't break the bank (at least not as much as several other free agents...).

Looks like the signing of Matsui was as good if not better than what they would have gotten from Castillo if he continues to play at this pace.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Super GM » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:36 am

Castillo would have fille one of the Mets needs: speed! But after all the trading and signing is done, the Mets didn't end up with any of those guys originally listed (Castillo, Millwood, Vlad). Signing Matsui was an interesting move, but hasn't exactly paid off so far IMO. Castillo is still way better than Matsui. And if they had signed him they wouldn't have to switch Reyes to second....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:09 pm

i bet the mets wish they hadn't thought vlad was a injury risk and picked him up last when he was a free agent...he was a monster all year in Anaheim.... matched vlad with beltran this year 8-o 8-o wow they would probably be the NL east favorites.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:06 pm

I don't think they would have signed Beltran if they had signed Vlad. All in all I'm glad the way it worked out now that we got Carlos. Only time will tell if the Mets made the right decision based on those infamous medical reports.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to New York Mets