WHY is Justin Morneau STILL underrated!?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WHY is Justin Morneau STILL underrated!?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:17 pm

Los_Dodgers wrote:
Ursa wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Morneau has been great but I wouldn't overlook that cold streak. He seems to be a very hot and cold hitter.

Well, this is one heck of a long hot streak. He's raised his batting average nearly 120 points since May 8th. He had a bad start to the season, same as the Twins, but yet another dong tonight taking him to 28 on the season plus his 86 RBIs firmly entrenches him in first round status for next year in a decent size league. Currently 13th in HRs and 5th in RBIs across the majors, and all this with a .320 BA.

Not bad for a guy I drafted #144 overall.

1st round status? You would take him over these guys? I hope not.
CARLOS FREAKIN BELTRAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pujols?
Wright?
Ortiz?
Soriano?
Manny?
Johan?
Vlad?
A Rod?
Hafner?
Tejada?
Crawford?
MCab?
Reyes?
I doubt I'd take him over Teixera...
Carlos Lee, if he stays in Tex?
Bay?
Cole Hamels?

Just had to remind you of something...
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby duckbillgates » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:44 pm

.320-42-134-94
That's Morneau's pace (including that awful April). And I would say he is trending up.
That's pretty close to Teixeira's monster 2005 (.301-43-144-112), and Tex went mid-first this year (though he's been a monster disappointment until recently).
The power was always expected with Morneau, but the big average seems like more than just a fluke, given he's been hitting from really well to incredibly for half the season now. The emergence of Joe Mauer will only help Morneau's numbers in the future.
He's forcing me to keep him in our 12-team with no utility slot (meaning everyone ends up with a pretty decent 1B), and he'll probably be going mid-second round at the latest next year.
Agree he's not getting enough respect in these circles.
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:37 pm

i think the problem with morneau is that he under achieved so bad in the past that one great season isn't going to change a lot of minds. Personally i know that my 1st rounder has got to be a garuntee. my go to guy almost. Just because someone has one great year does not make him a first rounder. Guys like Teixeira and Wright and Bay had 2 or 3 years of continued development and made owners drool over where their ceiling may be because they had consistently improved. Bottom line here is that it takes more than one great season to be my first rounder. Just my opinion...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

this guy is a stud.......

Postby tomahawks » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:10 am

steady since may,but why is minnasota batting him 5th ? his run(+ rbi) production would be much better at 3 or 4. tonight he was on base 6 times and did not touch the plate. with washed up and ailing tori hunter (among other slackers) batting behind him,he won't be crossing the plate too often. cuddyer should be 5th in my opinion with a .260 avg and less power.
tomahawks
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: this guy is a stud.......

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:39 am

tomahawks wrote:steady since may,but why is minnasota batting him 5th ? his run(+ rbi) production would be much better at 3 or 4. tonight he was on base 6 times and did not touch the plate. with washed up and ailing tori hunter (among other slackers) batting behind him,he won't be crossing the plate too often. cuddyer should be 5th in my opinion with a .260 avg and less power.

It's a lefty/righty thing. Mauer and Morneau are lefties while Cuddyer is right handed...putting Cuddyer 4th splits up the lefties and makes it harder for teams to bring in the situational lefty for the middle of the order.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers