WHY is Justin Morneau STILL underrated!?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WHY is Justin Morneau STILL underrated!?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby giants! » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:32 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Morneau has been great but I wouldn't overlook that cold streak. He seems to be a very hot and cold hitter.

Hitting over .400 for a two month stretch is awfully difficult for a streaky hitter.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:56 am

Ursa wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Morneau has been great but I wouldn't overlook that cold streak. He seems to be a very hot and cold hitter.

Well, this is one heck of a long hot streak. He's raised his batting average nearly 120 points since May 8th. He had a bad start to the season, same as the Twins, but yet another dong tonight taking him to 28 on the season plus his 86 RBIs firmly entrenches him in first round status for next year in a decent size league. Currently 13th in HRs and 5th in RBIs across the majors, and all this with a .320 BA.

Not bad for a guy I drafted #144 overall.

No not first round.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cobbs87 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:56 am

I traded Morneau for Milwood. During his hot streak. I figured it was flukey and I would sell high. I'm killing myself.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby pangbones » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:20 am

cobbs87 wrote:I traded Morneau for Milwood. During his hot streak. I figured it was flukey and I would sell high. I'm killing myself.

My brother dropped him like a week before his hot streak began. So don't feel bad, it could be worse.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:30 am

giants! wrote:

Hitting over .400 for a two month stretch is awfully difficult for a streaky hitter.
Let me know when he does it cause he is hitting .380 for June and July combined. :-D

All I'm saying is I want to see more than 2 incredible months before calling him a top talent.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby Los_Dodgers » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:31 am

Ursa wrote:

Well, this is one heck of a long hot streak. He's raised his batting average nearly 120 points since May 8th. He had a bad start to the season, same as the Twins, but yet another dong tonight taking him to 28 on the season plus his 86 RBIs firmly entrenches him in first round status for next year in a decent size league. Currently 13th in HRs and 5th in RBIs across the majors, and all this with a .320 BA.

1st round status? You would take him over these guys? I hope not.
Pujols?
Wright?
Ortiz?
Soriano?
Manny?
Johan?
Vlad?
A Rod?
Hafner?
Tejada?
Crawford?
MCab?
Reyes?
I doubt I'd take him over Teixera...
Carlos Lee, if he stays in Tex?
Bay?
Cole Hamels?
Los_Dodgers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ursa » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:58 am

Los_Dodgers wrote:
Ursa wrote:

1st round status? You would take him over these guys? I hope not.
Pujols?
Wright?
Ortiz?
Soriano?
Manny?
Johan?
Vlad?
A Rod?
Hafner?
Tejada?
Crawford?
MCab?
Reyes?
I doubt I'd take him over Teixera...
Carlos Lee, if he stays in Tex?
Bay?
Cole Hamels?

You were running out of players towards the end there, weren't you? :-b

I can't see why I wouldn't take him over Cabrera and maybe Bay, both of whom trail Morneau's stats this year. Position comes into it of course and a hitting SS like Tejada is going to be better value than a 1B like Morneau even if the pure stats favor Morneau.
I never take pitchers in the first round anyway so even if Santana was there at last pick of round 1, I'd leave him. Personal preference.
I was thinking in terms of a 16 team league and you are probably right, maybe I was a little over enthusiastic.
That said, this is, IMO, no streak. This guy is very, very good.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 24)

Postby Los_Dodgers » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:07 am

I was joking about Hamels, by the way. I wouldn't even think about him if MCab or Bay were available, but I agree with you that he's quite good, and I think he is here to stay as well. But 1st base has such a high abundance of fantasy studs, there is no way he can go in the 1st, imo.
Los_Dodgers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ursa » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:50 am

Los_Dodgers wrote:I was joking about Hamels, by the way.

I figured you were. :-D

You could have subbed Andruw Jones in though, or maybe Dunn. Yes, first round is over the top, you're quite right but second / third isn't.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 24)

Postby Bosy Billups » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:54 am

Ursa wrote:
Los_Dodgers wrote:I was joking about Hamels, by the way.

I figured you were. :-D

You could have subbed Andruw Jones in though, or maybe Dunn. Yes, first round is over the top, you're quite right but second / third isn't.

Remember that Tex went 1ST in many leagues this year. FIRST! This after a Morneau like last year. It's not that far off to consider Morneau a 2nd Rounder, late First, should consistency and more power develop.
Bosy Billups
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers