Brent Clevlen called up, Colby Lewis sent down - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Brent Clevlen called up, Colby Lewis sent down

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brent Clevlen called up, Colby Lewis sent down

Postby Dannomyte » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:27 pm

Strange move if you ask me. Gomez had some success with the big club, has speed and is good defensively. Clevlen has struggled bigtime with the bat this season at Double-A. If he is struggling at Double-A imagine what big league pitchers are going to do to him. Doesn't make much sense to me.

From todays game day press pass.

Clevlen recalled, Lewis optioned: The Tigers today recalled the contract of outfielder Brent Clevlen from Double-A Erie and optioned the contract of right handed pitcher Colby Lewis to triple-A Toledo. Clevlen batted .224 (82x366) in 101 games at Erie, scoring 44 runs and collecting 16 doubles, 10 homerunes and 42 RBI. He belted 6 HR and collected 16 RBI in 26 games in July for the SeaWolves, hitting .266 (25x94). Lewis did not appear in a game after having his contract purchased from Toledo by the Tigers on July 26th.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dannomyte » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:39 pm

MINNEAPOLIS  The Tigers added an outfielder to their roster today  but not the Washington Nationals Alfonso Soriano.

Brent Clevlen, a former second-round pick, has been recalled from Double-A Erie. He was en route to join the team here on Saturday afternoon.

Clevlen, who impressed manager Jim Leyland in spring training, hit .224 with 10 home runs and 42 RBIs in 101 games at Erie this season.

To clear space on the roster, the club will likely send one of its 13 pitchers to the minor leagues. There is also a remote possibility that Craig Monroes leg injury, which forced him to leave Fridays 3-2 win, is severe enough that he will have to be placed on the disabled list. But that is highly unlikely.

Alexis Gomez, who had spent much of the last two months with the team, is not yet eligible to be recalled. He was designated for assignment on Wednesday, and must remain in the minors for at least 10 days  except in case of an injury.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 9/60729003

I guess that explains why Gomez wasn't called up!!
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:26 am

Clevlen did just fine in his MLB debut. 2 hits and a runner thrown out at the plate. Hard to fathom why he looked so good yesterday against tough pitching, yet has struggled so much in AA. Maybe there's more to his problems down there than just the numbers indicate? Maybe it's mental or somehow environmental? Ah well, just throwing stuff out there.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:49 am

This Clevlen kid is indeed talented. Between gunning baserunners down from the outfield and posting good ABs, it makes me wonder what in the hell is going on in Erie that he is underachieving down there so bad. I hope if they do send him down again to ensure he plays everyday, that it is to Toledo, not Erie.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:24 pm

Clevlen credits better lighting in the bigs for his success?!?!

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Brent Clevlen was hitting .224 at Double-A Erie. His average with the Tigers is .625.

He hit 10 home runs in 366 at-bats at Erie. He has two in his first eight with Detroit.

The difference begs for explanation, and it may be simple.

"I can see the ball better up here," Clevlen said Tuesday. "The lights are better. It seems like the ball's wider, too. It looks wider. I know it's not."

The first half of his explanation seems legitimate. Clevlen said he noticed "dark spots" on Double-A fields. To date, he has done his major league hitting in well-lit domes -- the Metrodome and Tropicana Field.

Manager Jim Leyland, who played six seasons as a minor league catcher and managed in the minors for 11 years, supported Clevlen's theory.

"It's much more difficult to hit in the minor leagues than in the majors," Leyland said Wednesday. "The travel's better (here), the lights are better. Pitchers have better control."

Leyland says minor league lights are better now than in his time, but believes there remains "quite a bit" of difference.

That begs the question: Would Leyland, a career .222 hitter in the minors, have had more success on brighter fields?

"That had nothing to do with it," he said. "I could've been inside the Duquesne Light Company, and it wouldn't have made a difference."

Clevlen, meanwhile, is growing more comfortable daily. ("It's sinking in," he said Wednesday.) The adjustment was helped by his twin home runs over the 404-foot marker in center Tuesday night.

He admitted Wednesday that he watched his highlight after the game. He didn't seem too disappointed that one anchor mispronounced his name. (It's CLEEV-len, like the Ohio city, but without the "d.")

Gotta love the 1 liner from the Skipper. Seems like he gives a great/funny quote every other day.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:48 pm

Leyland always seem to have the right thing to say ready at a moments notice. I have heard that with some players moving to the show has helped them to hit. Hadn't heard that much attributed to the lighting, but more to the pitcher's control. More good pitches to hit is the gest.

Cleven might not be seeing many breaking pitches right now. When pitchers learn he can hit fastballs they will kill him with kurves. Then the test will begin.

Is it a surprise to anyone that Leyland calls a player up and he performs right away? Uncanny.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:20 pm

Indeed he's not seeing tons of breaking pitches, but I can't imagine the pitchers in AA that have struck him out 128 times are anywhere near as good as Johan Santana, even if Santana isn't bringing his best stuff at Clevlen. I'm not saying Clevlen should be having a .625 avg or an OPS over 2 if he was playing regularly, just that his numbers in AA seem like quite a bit of underachieving to me based on what I've seen so far.

But then again, his first year in AA numbers are a complete mirror image of his first year numbers in Lakeland. In fact, they are so close it's almost scary.

2004 he put up a .224/.300/.350 line
2006 in Erie he's putting up .224/.307/.350
Had an excellent MVP season in 2005, and has put on a show in Spring Training this year to go along with his hot start with the big league club this past week. He's a tough one to really project.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Detroit Tigers