B.J. Upton (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

B.J. Upton (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DaCowGod » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:42 pm

For those who don't follow the minors closely...

B.J. Upton is "the" icon of the minor leagues right now, a sure shot long-term star who is every bit major league ready in most areas except defense and attitude... where he basically sucks, leaving him in the minors so long. But he can't be held back any longer with any rational, so expect him up soon.

Big bonus is for keeper league owners, as Upton long-term projects into a superstar... a faster Julio Lugo at worst, and at best compared to Jeter. But just as is always the rule about rookies, he will have his struggles and issues when he's called up... with one exception.

The man is FAST. There are some who think he had more footspeed than Joey Gathright, who most consider the fastest base-runner in baseball right now (ohh, if only he could hit...). And he'll play for a team (TB) that LOVES to let fast guys run. Upton will take some time to develop 15-20 HR power, and may only hit a couple this year, plus his BA will be nothing to brag about. But he's pretty much a lock to steal 12-15 bases in the final two months of the season. If you need SBs, and there's no one intriguing (read: Dave Roberts) on the waiver wire, Upton's probably your best chance at a sure-fire double digit SB guy in the second half. If you lead your league in steals, or badly need power, you might let someone else jump on the bandwagon.

As for position eligibility, he's generally been a SS and qualifies as such in most leagues. However, the Devil Rays moved him to 3B a couple weeks ago, with the thought that it will hurry him to the big leagues (he looks plain ugly at times defensively at SS). And, unless Lugo is traded and they don't get a SS back, Upton will probably play 3B in the big leagues daily... meaning as soon as he qualifies there in your league, he'll be 3B-eligible as well. However, unless you need nothing but steals, Upton shouldn't be a regular fantasy starter at 3B. Good potential option as a SS or MI though, and great option off the bench to help with occasional steal as a fill-in.

Basically, if you need steals, take a chance on him. Otherwise, let him pass. And if you're in a keeper league, he's gone already. :) Hope I helped.

Moo.
DaCowGod
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scr » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:31 pm

rmande, I don't know what the big deal is about what Young said.

If the beat writer asked him this question: "Do you know why BJ is still down here in Durham, I mean, he's been lights out and should be playing in Tampa...is there something we don't know?"

and Delmon responds: "I can't believe BJ is still here, he should have been up already (or something like that)"...and then apologizes because he realized this was going to get twisted all over the place, and says he was just venting.

Now, you are going to tell me this statement, in the above context was all full of bad attitude???? All full of disrespect for the organization??? The way some people are acting, you'd think the guy did something absurd like throwing a bat at an umpire.

It looks to me like management is looking for reasons to bust this kid. Maybe because they really want his temper in check, like they will not allow ANY lattitude for a passing remark to get blown out of context. Maybe, just maybe, this is really just a teaching lesson.

But for heaven's sake, what he said was not a big deal. Some keep saying it was horrible and a "hissy fit". It was not, is not.

So if it is a lesson, management best take a lesson of it's own. They might learn to nip this thing in the bud way before these kids get to AAA, because right now management looks worse to me in this situation than does Young. They are overreacting.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmande09 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:21 pm

Knowing how the kid acts and his awful attitude and temper, do you really believe it was out of context? Honestly - I can understand it being a slight possibility, but you're acting like it's a fact.

I don't remember exactly what was said, but him saying, "they're 30 games out of first place," was unnecessary. That is rude and disrespectful. People know that the DRays aren't good, no need to exaggerate your own organizations shortcomings.

What's even worse about Delmon's comments is the fact that management addressed Upton's situation a week earlier and he was to be up soon. Well, gee Delmon, that's what they're thinking! Use your head before you make any comments you'll regret.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby scr » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:33 pm

rmande- with the 30 games out comment...don't you think it's a real strong possiblility that the beat writer prefaced his question with his (the writers') view that the parent club was not in the playoff hunt???

c'mon, rmande, think about how beat writers work. It happens every day.

and what's with the "that awful attitude and temper"??????

How do you know this? This is a media created and embelished fiction. I take the opposite of what opinions I read and hear about in the media. These types love to embelish and put spins on things to get folks like you to get sucked in. You don't know the kid. You were not there for any of the incidents you base your pre-ordained conclusion that Delmon is a really bad guy.

The only thing you and I have to go on is media accounts (that leave crucial perspectives out) and a video where you can't see the kid flipping the bat.

And, don't forget this kid has been roasted over and over and over again.

It is a real possiblility this stuff was taken way out of context, but since you already have a pre-ordained conclusion that Delmon is a bad guy, you've already formed an opinion. The media wins...again. Too bad.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sooner711 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:16 pm

Anyone who's been personally close to a news story knows that the media get about 90% of the facts wrong anyway...why take it all as fact?
sooner711
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

B.J. Upton called up by Tampa Bay

Postby p32bars » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:24 am

Just heard it on local Tampa affiliate.
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby dyuen87 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:29 am

Guess their whining helped a bit.

now time to wake up TB Delmon's ready.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby killa3312 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:41 am

dyuen87 wrote:Guess their whining helped a bit.

now time to wake up TB Delmon's ready.

Honestly, if you read the article thoroughly, Upton really isn't complaining. In fact, to me, it seems that he is ready to take on a leadership role within the organization.
killa3312
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Prooks25 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:44 am

We Want Delmon Now!

But finally BJ is up!!!!!!!!! It's been a long wait for me, that's for darn sure
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Richie Rich » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:20 am

jus grabbed him as a bench guy for now...i have chone for steals so worst case this guy performs well and i can sell him before our aug. 20th deadline ;-D ...plus i already have baldelli and cantu in my lineup so i dont really liek having more than 1 guy from the same team on my team, therefore right now ima lil' panicky lol
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers