B.J. Upton (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

B.J. Upton (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby san76er » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:15 pm

Looks like Upton won't join the team until Tuesday......Well i've waited this long, I guess I can wait another day. :-°

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The Tampa Bay Devil Rays have acquired a pair of minor leaguer prospects, infielder Joel Guzman and outfielder Sergio Pedroza, from the Los Angeles Dodgers in exchange for shortstop Julio Lugo, it was announced today.
In addition, the Rays have recalled infielders B.J. Upton and Ben Zobrist from AAA Durham. They will join the team on Tuesday.


http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/pres ... sp&c_id=tb
san76er
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 88
Joined: 4 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Prooks25 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:25 pm

san76er wrote:Looks like Upton won't join the team until Tuesday......Well i've waited this long, I guess I can wait another day. :-°

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The Tampa Bay Devil Rays have acquired a pair of minor leaguer prospects, infielder Joel Guzman and outfielder Sergio Pedroza, from the Los Angeles Dodgers in exchange for shortstop Julio Lugo, it was announced today.
In addition, the Rays have recalled infielders B.J. Upton and Ben Zobrist from AAA Durham. They will join the team on Tuesday.


http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/pres ... sp&c_id=tb

I like how it took no-name Ben Zobrist all of 3 weeks to get called up after being promoted to AAA, but uber prospects Upton and Young take years.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1949
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jellyroll » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:34 pm

Prooks25 wrote:
san76er wrote:Looks like Upton won't join the team until Tuesday......Well i've waited this long, I guess I can wait another day. :-°

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The Tampa Bay Devil Rays have acquired a pair of minor leaguer prospects, infielder Joel Guzman and outfielder Sergio Pedroza, from the Los Angeles Dodgers in exchange for shortstop Julio Lugo, it was announced today.
In addition, the Rays have recalled infielders B.J. Upton and Ben Zobrist from AAA Durham. They will join the team on Tuesday.


http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/pres ... sp&c_id=tb

I like how it took no-name Ben Zobrist all of 3 weeks to get called up after being promoted to AAA, but uber prospects Upton and Young take years.


I think Zobrist was called up because of need. They need either a SS or 3B along with BJ.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 527
Joined: 6 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: West Indies

Postby mikekim2121 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:36 pm

I read reports saying he was going to Tampa Bay for tonights game. Too bad he's not in the starting lineup
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 914
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 4 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NJ

Postby Prooks25 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:35 pm

mikekim2121 wrote:I read reports saying he was going to Tampa Bay for tonights game. Too bad he's not in the starting lineup

If Tampa didnt drag their stupid ass feet for 3 days, they could have called him up last night or the night before when they put Wiggington on the DL, and had him in the lineup tonight...But instead, they left Upton, and us for that matter, flapping in the wind. What else is new with Tampa Bay.

I'm not sure when this team will begin to take winning seriously...They seem more worried about saving a few bucks on player contracts, then putting the best possible team on the field and developing it to win.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1949
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Thursday » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:58 pm

Prooks25 wrote:I'm not sure when this team will begin to take winning seriously...They seem more worried about saving a few bucks on player contracts, then putting the best possible team on the field and developing it to win.


Genius. Tampa Bay really isn't going anywhere, and i think it's important for them to realize that in order to win, they'll need to drop a few bucks on these dudes in a few years. Especially playing in the AL east, it's never going to be easy, and even now with Toronto becoming a threat, TB is now worse off than ever. At least now Upton is coming, and Delmon will probably be here for the start of next seaon, or soon here.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2258
Joined: 28 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:05 pm

Prooks25 wrote:I'm not sure when this team will begin to take winning seriously...They seem more worried about saving a few bucks on player contracts, then putting the best possible team on the field and developing it to win.


Name one player besides Lugo that could of helped them now and in the future. Lugo also wanted a 4-5 year long term deal for more money then I and a lot of people believe he is worth.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 6107
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: miles away from the unordinary

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:37 pm

Prooks25 wrote:
mikekim2121 wrote:I read reports saying he was going to Tampa Bay for tonights game. Too bad he's not in the starting lineup

If Tampa didnt drag their stupid ass feet for 3 days, they could have called him up last night or the night before when they put Wiggington on the DL, and had him in the lineup tonight...But instead, they left Upton, and us for that matter, flapping in the wind. What else is new with Tampa Bay.

I'm not sure when this team will begin to take winning seriously...They seem more worried about saving a few bucks on player contracts, then putting the best possible team on the field and developing it to win.


It had nothing to do with dragging their feet. By waiting until today to call Upton to the majors they've given the team a long-term advantage on being able to keep Upton at a lower price for a longer period of time. I think that's worth the one day wait. ;)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 7290
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!

Postby Prooks25 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:39 pm

hybrid wrote:
Prooks25 wrote:I'm not sure when this team will begin to take winning seriously...They seem more worried about saving a few bucks on player contracts, then putting the best possible team on the field and developing it to win.


Name one player besides Lugo that could of helped them now and in the future. Lugo also wanted a 4-5 year long term deal for more money then I and a lot of people believe he is worth.

You dont think Upton and Young and even Dukes isn't an upgrade over Damon Hollins, Russel Branyan/Ty Wigginton/Travis Lee/Johny Gomes (Who has been terrible)?

It's gonna take Young and Upton a little while to adjust to the majors anyway, why not start them early so they can adjust and begin building your core.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1949
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:49 pm

Prooks25 wrote:
hybrid wrote:
Prooks25 wrote:I'm not sure when this team will begin to take winning seriously...They seem more worried about saving a few bucks on player contracts, then putting the best possible team on the field and developing it to win.


Name one player besides Lugo that could of helped them now and in the future. Lugo also wanted a 4-5 year long term deal for more money then I and a lot of people believe he is worth.

You dont think Upton and Young and even Dukes isn't an upgrade over Damon Hollins, Russel Branyan/Ty Wigginton/Travis Lee/Johny Gomes (Who has been terrible)?

It's gonna take Young and Upton a little while to adjust to the majors anyway, why not start them early so they can adjust and begin building your core.


I'm not sure where you are getting any of that, I'm purely commenting on what you said about money and contracts. Also they were down for a reason: defense, throwing a bat, and constantly getting suspended. They didn't really help any of their cases much this year to be up.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 6107
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: miles away from the unordinary

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Aug. 28
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi Cubs at Cincinnati
(12:35 pm)
NY Yankees at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Colorado at San Francisco
(3:45 pm)
Tampa Bay at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Atlanta at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cleveland at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Oakland at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact