B.J. Upton (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

B.J. Upton (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby san76er » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:15 pm

Looks like Upton won't join the team until Tuesday......Well i've waited this long, I guess I can wait another day. :-°

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The Tampa Bay Devil Rays have acquired a pair of minor leaguer prospects, infielder Joel Guzman and outfielder Sergio Pedroza, from the Los Angeles Dodgers in exchange for shortstop Julio Lugo, it was announced today.
In addition, the Rays have recalled infielders B.J. Upton and Ben Zobrist from AAA Durham. They will join the team on Tuesday.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/pres ... sp&c_id=tb
san76er
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Prooks25 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:25 pm

san76er wrote:Looks like Upton won't join the team until Tuesday......Well i've waited this long, I guess I can wait another day. :-°

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The Tampa Bay Devil Rays have acquired a pair of minor leaguer prospects, infielder Joel Guzman and outfielder Sergio Pedroza, from the Los Angeles Dodgers in exchange for shortstop Julio Lugo, it was announced today.
In addition, the Rays have recalled infielders B.J. Upton and Ben Zobrist from AAA Durham. They will join the team on Tuesday.

I like how it took no-name Ben Zobrist all of 3 weeks to get called up after being promoted to AAA, but uber prospects Upton and Young take years.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jellyroll » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:34 pm

Prooks25 wrote:
san76er wrote:Looks like Upton won't join the team until Tuesday......Well i've waited this long, I guess I can wait another day. :-°

I like how it took no-name Ben Zobrist all of 3 weeks to get called up after being promoted to AAA, but uber prospects Upton and Young take years.

I think Zobrist was called up because of need. They need either a SS or 3B along with BJ.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mikekim2121 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:36 pm

I read reports saying he was going to Tampa Bay for tonights game. Too bad he's not in the starting lineup
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Prooks25 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:35 pm

mikekim2121 wrote:I read reports saying he was going to Tampa Bay for tonights game. Too bad he's not in the starting lineup

If Tampa didnt drag their stupid ass feet for 3 days, they could have called him up last night or the night before when they put Wiggington on the DL, and had him in the lineup tonight...But instead, they left Upton, and us for that matter, flapping in the wind. What else is new with Tampa Bay.

I'm not sure when this team will begin to take winning seriously...They seem more worried about saving a few bucks on player contracts, then putting the best possible team on the field and developing it to win.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Thursday » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:58 pm

Prooks25 wrote:I'm not sure when this team will begin to take winning seriously...They seem more worried about saving a few bucks on player contracts, then putting the best possible team on the field and developing it to win.

Genius. Tampa Bay really isn't going anywhere, and i think it's important for them to realize that in order to win, they'll need to drop a few bucks on these dudes in a few years. Especially playing in the AL east, it's never going to be easy, and even now with Toronto becoming a threat, TB is now worse off than ever. At least now Upton is coming, and Delmon will probably be here for the start of next seaon, or soon here.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:05 pm

Prooks25 wrote:I'm not sure when this team will begin to take winning seriously...They seem more worried about saving a few bucks on player contracts, then putting the best possible team on the field and developing it to win.

Name one player besides Lugo that could of helped them now and in the future. Lugo also wanted a 4-5 year long term deal for more money then I and a lot of people believe he is worth.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:37 pm

Prooks25 wrote:
mikekim2121 wrote:I read reports saying he was going to Tampa Bay for tonights game. Too bad he's not in the starting lineup

If Tampa didnt drag their stupid ass feet for 3 days, they could have called him up last night or the night before when they put Wiggington on the DL, and had him in the lineup tonight...But instead, they left Upton, and us for that matter, flapping in the wind. What else is new with Tampa Bay.

I'm not sure when this team will begin to take winning seriously...They seem more worried about saving a few bucks on player contracts, then putting the best possible team on the field and developing it to win.

It had nothing to do with dragging their feet. By waiting until today to call Upton to the majors they've given the team a long-term advantage on being able to keep Upton at a lower price for a longer period of time. I think that's worth the one day wait. ;)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Prooks25 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:39 pm

hybrid wrote:

Name one player besides Lugo that could of helped them now and in the future. Lugo also wanted a 4-5 year long term deal for more money then I and a lot of people believe he is worth.

You dont think Upton and Young and even Dukes isn't an upgrade over Damon Hollins, Russel Branyan/Ty Wigginton/Travis Lee/Johny Gomes (Who has been terrible)?

It's gonna take Young and Upton a little while to adjust to the majors anyway, why not start them early so they can adjust and begin building your core.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:49 pm

Prooks25 wrote:
hybrid wrote:

You dont think Upton and Young and even Dukes isn't an upgrade over Damon Hollins, Russel Branyan/Ty Wigginton/Travis Lee/Johny Gomes (Who has been terrible)?

It's gonna take Young and Upton a little while to adjust to the majors anyway, why not start them early so they can adjust and begin building your core.

I'm not sure where you are getting any of that, I'm purely commenting on what you said about money and contracts. Also they were down for a reason: defense, throwing a bat, and constantly getting suspended. They didn't really help any of their cases much this year to be up.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers