Howie, Howie, Howie....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby s221506 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:52 pm

next season

20 HR
20 SB

90+ R
90+ RBI

This is if he hits in the first 3rd of the lineup next year.

Does it sound reasonable?
s221506
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdsun1 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:00 am

s221506 wrote:next season

20 HR
20 SB

90+ R
90+ RBI

Higher average with less rbi's and less homeruns. I think what derek jeter did this year is where we can see kendrick next year.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:18 am

jdsun1 wrote:
s221506 wrote:next season

20 HR
20 SB

90+ R
90+ RBI

Higher average with less rbi's and less homeruns. I think what derek jeter did this year is where we can see kendrick next year.

Amazing how powerful the hype machine is on this guy...I'm shocked that you are predicting him to hit higher than .310 in his first full year in the majors. A .310 average over a career is HOF worthy, and in seems like the consensus around here is that he will rake immediately.

I'm just a bit skeptical, I suppose.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Howie » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 am

Aw man i thought this 5 page thread was about me :,-(
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby johnsamo » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:23 am

Also have to factor in the Angels future lineup, Vladdy's getting older but still has some good years in him but Brendan Wood and Kendry Morales are going to be really good, Morales would be good right now if they'd just call him up. They guy was improving every month, hit a 2 week cold streak and its "see ya later?".... makes no sense when they keep dead wood around like Salmon.

And the Angels have the cash and the incentive to sign a big free agent hitter. Their local TV and radio contracts are expiring soon. The owner wants to renegotiate coming off a world series championship next year. He's already bought a radio station that will take over from ESPN radio soon, but the TV contract will stil be bidded out, and he wants the team red hot when that happens... so at least one big free agent is coming to Anaheim, probably more. And the team also rakes the cash in attendance wise too. They're flush with cash and have the financial motives to spend it this off season, which explains I think why they didn't trade for a Lee or Soriano if they might sign him anyway.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tuff_gong » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:05 am

I don't know much about Howie, what current major league player do you think he's most comparable to?

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cordscords » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:29 pm

tuff_gong wrote:I don't know much about Howie, what current major league player do you think he's most comparable to?

I see him having Marcus Giles blend of power and speed with a higher average.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:02 pm

cordscords wrote:
tuff_gong wrote:I don't know much about Howie, what current major league player do you think he's most comparable to?

I see him having Marcus Giles blend of power and speed with a higher average.

I've heard Ichiro most often mentioned. Past comparisons to Tony Gwynn mentioned as well....you'd think that he'd be a sure fire keeper for most keeper formats, but I can't get myself to keep him in my league where we keep the top 100 when I have other options like Mike Young, Figgins and Atkins.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby johnsamo » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:08 pm

I've heard 3 comparions by coaches who've seen him play a lot in the minors

one was the next Jeter, in reference to his demeanor and making-contact potential, but slightly stronger and slightly faster

The others were in reference to his swing, Bill Madlock (for all you old-school guys who remember him ) but much faster and maybe little stronger

And Ron Gant in terms of the swing style, but a mich higher average hitter
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:22 pm

johnsamo wrote:I've heard 3 comparions by coaches who've seen him play a lot in the minors

one was the next Jeter, in reference to his demeanor and making-contact potential, but slightly stronger and slightly faster

The others were in reference to his swing, Bill Madlock (for all you old-school guys who remember him ) but much faster and maybe little stronger

And Ron Gant in terms of the swing style, but a mich higher average hitter

John,

I'm just curious. When you talk about Kendrick and Jeter's demeanor are you talking about hustle and leadership qualities? I'm just curious because I always like to keep an eye out for the David Wright/Utley type players who play hard every day and lead by example and I'm curious if that is the case with Kendrick.

Thanks
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers