Wright/Utley (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wright/Utley (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jnormy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:47 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:You would be right, if the season ended today.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I wasn't in on the original debate, but it's kind of silly to call anything in a baseball season "settled" on Aug. 22. The last day of the regular season is Oct. 1. A lot can happen in 40 days. The 130-game schedule went out with the 1800s.

Utley may well end up with better overall stats, but if they're fairly close to what Wright puts up, I personally don't think that settles the debate over who's the better player. There are plenty of factors to consider, one of the biggest being the ballparks in which they hit. I've seen many a ball that looked like a routine fly ball remarkably end up in the seats in Citizens Bank, while Shea Stadium often eats even hard-hit fly balls for breakfast.

25 more runs and 19 points in average v. 3 sb and 10 rbi says Utley was the better play in 2006

"Was?" Wow, ya skipped all the way ahead to the end of the season? You should be making some big bucks on that time machine of yours there, bud. ;-7
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:07 pm

acsguitar wrote:Why is this even a debate they don't play the same position

It's a debate because both are going to be drafted in the top-10 next season. Same concept as all the Arod vs. Pujols threads from the preseason.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slappinSingles » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:58 am

Exactly, 3rd base has been more of a power hitting position than 2nd. Utley's bat at 2nd is a very nice thing to have on a team.
slappinSingles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jnormy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:22 pm

slappinSingles wrote:

Exactly, 3rd base has been more of a power hitting position than 2nd. Utley's bat at 2nd is a very nice thing to have on a team.

Much of this debate, I think, has been about who's the better player period, not necessarily in the fantasy universe. I believe that all but the most stubborn Wright backers would agree that Utley is the better fantasy value simply because of his position.

Even if it ends up being a dead heat between the two in terms of final numbers, the lack of good hitters (esp. power hitters) at the 2nd base position -- coupled with the fact that 3B is now probably the deepest position talent-wise in baseball -- makes Utley a more valuable fantasy player.
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Looks like the Utley/Wright debate has been settled.

Postby jnormy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:51 am

J_Cuz wrote:"Negligible difference in stats" was actually a pretty nice concilation for all you Miss Agnes-led Wright fluffers.

Utley .320 103r 22hr 78rbi 12sb
Wright .301 78r 22hr 88rbi 15sb

25 more runs and 19 points in average v. 3 sb and 10 rbi says Utley was the better play in 2006.

Then again, the pig-headed lot will adamantly and incorrectly maintain that the debate was centered around "keeper" value, but who has time for lies?

Ain't nothin but a beat down.

;-D

Sorry, I couldn't resist resurrecting this thread, esp. when phrases like "was the better play in 2006" and "ain't nothin but a beat down" were used. Check out the updated stats now, not even a month later:

Utley .303 118r 28hr 89rbi 12sb .522slg .894ops
Wright .311 90r 24hr 110rbi 15sb .537slg .923ops

Granted, the season still has a few weeks to go, so this is nowhere near a done deal. But that 19-point lead in average sure evaporated quickly, eh? And how 'bout that slugging pct. and OPS comparison?

This may well end up swinging back the other way, but it's a perfect example of why insisting something in baseball is settled in the third week of August is kind of silly. As Yogi said, "The beat down ain't over 'til it's over."
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers