Top 2B prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Top 2B prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top 2B prospects

Postby EvSolo » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:57 pm

i have been offered morneau straight up for kendrick (the other owner has no place to put him) and my power starved team cannot afford to pass this up. however, he was slated to be my starting second baseman next year.

SO, who are the remaining top 2nd base prospects? i heard that kid in Boston is supposed to be good. anyone else worth mentioning?
EvSolo
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 228
Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby giants! » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:09 pm

Eric Patterson, younger bother of Corey Patterson.
Image
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2982
Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nathan050904 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:10 pm

well rumor has it and i have no way to confirm it but, Youliesky Gourriel has defected if that be the case he becomes easily the best 2b prospect in the game.
Image
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 488
Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Postby EvSolo » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:12 pm

nathan050904 wrote:well rumor has it and i have no way to confirm it but, Youliesky Gourriel has defected if that be the case he becomes easily the best 2b prospect in the game.


the kid from the cuban national team? wow thats interesting. if u hear anymore news about that please let it be known

any other guys worth mentioning?
EvSolo
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 228
Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rmande09 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:26 pm

I'd probably pick up Pedroia, the Boston 2B you speak of. He doesn't project to be nearly as good as Kendrick, but he'll be useful with a good average, tons of runs, some pop and some bags.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 972
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:58 pm

Trade Kendrick for Morneau, unless you are scared of Morneau's health. There are plenty of options for 2B for next year-- Wilson Betemit, Dustin Pedroia, Alberto Callaspo, Blake Dewitt, and Elliot Johnson, for starters that can give you some of Kendrick's value.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 801
Joined: 3 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:00 pm

rmande09 wrote:I'd probably pick up Pedroia, the Boston 2B you speak of. He doesn't project to be nearly as good as Kendrick, but he'll be useful with a good average, tons of runs, some pop and some bags.


this might seem like i keep coming at ya rmande, but im not :*)

but how can you project someone's runs not knowing where he's hitting. i mean i realize the red sox usually reward guys with a ton of runs if they hit at the top of the order, but it just seems like you cant project that right now, especially if he were to get dealt to another team...BA, HR, SB, all things that usually stay around the same. sure a few hr can sway either way based on the home stadium, but runs are too hard to project, look at miguel cabrera as a prime example from last year to this year..
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:36 pm

Does it have to be a minor leaguer? There's not a lot of promising talent down there that is coming up soon enough to help you. Pedroia looks good, but that's about it for help that's coming soon. Just look at the list of top 2b from last year: You can't count on prospects. You just can't.

Here's some links from last year in case you don't believe me:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... t=kendrick
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... t=kendrick

(Not to toot my own horn, either, but those are also the first two mentions of Howie Kendrick here in the cafe)
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5000
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not here.

Postby rmande09 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:23 am

Snakes Gould wrote:this might seem like i keep coming at ya rmande, but im not :*)

but how can you project someone's runs not knowing where he's hitting. i mean i realize the red sox usually reward guys with a ton of runs if they hit at the top of the order, but it just seems like you cant project that right now, especially if he were to get dealt to another team...BA, HR, SB, all things that usually stay around the same. sure a few hr can sway either way based on the home stadium, but runs are too hard to project, look at miguel cabrera as a prime example from last year to this year..


This is fully assuming Boston does not move him, and I am fairly confident they won't.

For starters, they prefer high-OBP guys at the top of the order, regardless of speed (see Youkilis and Coco). With Pedroia presumably taking over Loretta's job at 2B, it's hard to figure he won't take over his spot in the lineup, too. He has a .400 career MiLB OBP, and despite a poor start and injuries, he is getting on at .392 in his first full AAA season. He has a 40:24 BB:K this season in 338 ABs, which is very, very impressive. He knows how to handle the bat very well, which is perfect for the #2 spot. He also hits quite a few doubles, and proects to hit over .310 as a MLer. Obviously hitting second in that lineup will produce LOTS of runs.

And if they go with a Coco-Youks top of the order, they'll hit Dustin 9th as a "second" leadoff. Again, tons of runs.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 972
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:24 am

rmande09 wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:this might seem like i keep coming at ya rmande, but im not :*)

but how can you project someone's runs not knowing where he's hitting. i mean i realize the red sox usually reward guys with a ton of runs if they hit at the top of the order, but it just seems like you cant project that right now, especially if he were to get dealt to another team...BA, HR, SB, all things that usually stay around the same. sure a few hr can sway either way based on the home stadium, but runs are too hard to project, look at miguel cabrera as a prime example from last year to this year..


This is fully assuming Boston does not move him, and I am fairly confident they won't.

For starters, they prefer high-OBP guys at the top of the order, regardless of speed (see Youkilis and Coco). With Pedroia presumably taking over Loretta's job at 2B, it's hard to figure he won't take over his spot in the lineup, too. He has a .400 career MiLB OBP, and despite a poor start and injuries, he is getting on at .392 in his first full AAA season. He has a 40:24 BB:K this season in 338 ABs, which is very, very impressive. He knows how to handle the bat very well, which is perfect for the #2 spot. He also hits quite a few doubles, and proects to hit over .310 as a MLer. Obviously hitting second in that lineup will produce LOTS of runs.

And if they go with a Coco-Youks top of the order, they'll hit Dustin 9th as a "second" leadoff. Again, tons of runs.


i hear your arguments definitely, and i agree to the most part, but i still think runs is fully dependant on situation and not player (for the most part. if someone has a .440 obp then obviously they project to more runs than someone with a .300 obp) but what if manny wants to be traded again and he actually does and they bring in a stud pitcher. then the sox lineup looks much different, and the runs wont be there. (far fetched, i know)

i just feel like you cant say someone is projected to get alot of runs in the future, thats all.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Jul. 28
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Diego at Atlanta
(12:10 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact