Utley, Wright and the dead horse - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Utley, Wright and the dead horse

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Utley, Wright and the dead horse

Postby J_Cuz » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:19 pm

I told this girl the difference in production between the two players would be negligible.

She responded with a long-winded, pro-Wright, thesis mired in wishful thinking and fuzzy math...

Now the two players are clearly statistically negligible with Utley trending upwards and Wright remaining stagnant.

Utley .323 19hr 64rbi 84runs 11 sb
Wright .315 21hr 80rbi 64runs 11sb

Not to mention the outlandish assertions from her that Wright would be the first righthanded Met batter in twenty years to hit over forty homers.

Not looking good on that one for her either.
www.igglephans.com
J_Cuz
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby markj11 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:22 pm

One is red hot and one is slumping. nice timing. I like them both but I think wrights numbers will be better.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:25 pm

I'm as big of an Utley fan as there is but even I will admit that Wright will most likely put up better statistics over the long haul.

That said I would rather have Utley due to position scarcity as they're not worlds apart and Utley most likely will put up a higher VORP.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:32 pm

Long-term though I'll still take the 23 year old over the 27 year old.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:44 pm

mak1277 wrote:Long-term though I'll still take the 23 year old over the 27 year old.

I'm not sure the 4 year difference would be enough to change my mind. Second base is not looking good for the next few years unless guys like Weeks, Kendrick, Barfield, etc. REALLY step things up. Think about what we used to have - Soriano, Kent, Reyes (if I remember right he had the dual-eligibility), etc...now it's really Utley at the top all alone. Figgins is the only guy that comes close in value and even that gap is fairly large. Meanwhile you've got quite a few great third baseman out there with ARod, MCab and Wright all legit superstars and some more guys like Alex Gordon and Andy LaRoche coming down the pike. Third base is deep and getting deeper. Second base is shallow and the water's starting to evaporate. ;)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:59 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
mak1277 wrote:Long-term though I'll still take the 23 year old over the 27 year old.

I'm not sure the 4 year difference would be enough to change my mind. Second base is not looking good for the next few years unless guys like Weeks, Kendrick, Barfield, etc. REALLY step things up. Think about what we used to have - Soriano, Kent, Reyes (if I remember right he had the dual-eligibility), etc...now it's really Utley at the top all alone. Figgins is the only guy that comes close in value and even that gap is fairly large. Meanwhile you've got quite a few great third baseman out there with ARod, MCab and Wright all legit superstars and some more guys like Alex Gordon and Andy LaRoche coming down the pike. Third base is deep and getting deeper. Second base is shallow and the water's starting to evaporate. ;)

From that standpoint I agree with you. I believe there is also some anecdotal (or possibly statistical) evidence that guys like Wright, who are so good, so soon, don't actually see the same spike in performance through their mid-20's. That's not to say he won't continue to be phenomenal, just that he might not be significantly more phenomenal that he already is.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:02 pm

I like Utley, picked him up in a off season keeper trade, although i gave up Soriano. It was a 4 for 4. But i love Wright. In a keeper i take Wright everytime.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:23 pm

First, GTWMA is a guy but I think you already know that. Second, it is an absolute classless act to prove yourself and belittle another Cafe poster in this manner. This thread is getting locked. Bring up the post in question if you want to discuss it but keep it nice.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers