Return to General Talk

Like gum?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ThatDude » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:28 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
ThatDude wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
ThatDude wrote:40% to rehab/education programs

First, we legalize a harmful substance...then we take that money and tell people not to buy it anymore because it's bad for them. :-B

As I've tried to make clear throughout this thread, weed and hard drugs are two different things.

I'd be all for using some of the money from the sale of weed to keep people off of heroin, coke, meth and such.

But the similarity and the point that I am quite sure he was trying to make are that both of them are bad for you. Whether 1 is worse for you isn't significant here.

It's extremely debatable whether weed is bad for you. I happen to think it's not, certainly not more than alcohol or tobacco. I've also pointed out a couple instances where it is very beneficial, and there are others.

The biggest thing keeping marijuana from being legal is the mis-classification of it as being on the same level as heroin, meth, and the really bad drugs. That is most certainly significant. When people start actually realizing how incorrect that is and the health benefits it can have, things should change.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:41 pm

ThatDude wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
ThatDude wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
ThatDude wrote:40% to rehab/education programs

First, we legalize a harmful substance...then we take that money and tell people not to buy it anymore because it's bad for them. :-B

As I've tried to make clear throughout this thread, weed and hard drugs are two different things.

I'd be all for using some of the money from the sale of weed to keep people off of heroin, coke, meth and such.

But the similarity and the point that I am quite sure he was trying to make are that both of them are bad for you. Whether 1 is worse for you isn't significant here.

It's extremely debatable whether weed is bad for you. I happen to think it's not, certainly not more than alcohol or tobacco. I've also pointed out a couple instances where it is very beneficial, and there are others.

The biggest thing keeping marijuana from being legal is the mis-classification of it as being on the same level as heroin, meth, and the really bad drugs. That is most certainly significant. When people start actually realizing how incorrect that is and the health benefits it can have, things should change.

Health benefits?? That's funny. If smoking marijuana was the only way to reap those benefits, I could understand it being legal under a physician's care. They can either prescribe THC in a pill form or find an alternative. I'm sure that smoking a joint isn't the only way to help them. It's not the actual smoking of marijuana that is giving them the benefits. That part is harmful.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby ThatDude » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:07 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Health benefits?? That's funny. If smoking marijuana was the only way to reap those benefits, I could understand it being legal under a physician's care. They can either prescribe THC in a pill form or find an alternative. I'm sure that smoking a joint isn't the only way to help them. It's not the actual smoking of marijuana that is giving them the benefits. That part is harmful.

That sounds like a rather uninformed opinion to me.

Marijuana suppresses nausea better than Marinol pills, and with fewer side effects. Physicians speculate that one reason for the difference is that smoked marijuana enters the bloodstream almost instantaneously, allowing patients to control their dose, whereas the oral version is absorbed slowly for some time. In addition, there's the possibility that the complex mix of compounds in whole, smoked marijuana somehow counteracts the more unpleasant effects of pure THC, such as extreme dizziness and unsteady gait.

People with spinal cord injuries and multiple sclerosis are prone to painful muscle spasms and tremors. Existing drugs give only partial relief, with severe side effects. There are many anecdotal reports that smoked marijuana relieves those symptoms but, to date, no large-scale, controlled clinical trial has compared marijuana with existing legal drugs. "With smoked marijuana, patients get immediate relief, whereas with the oral drug they get a delayed, big rush of unpleasantness. When they take a smaller dose, it doesn't work," says Paul Consroe, a University of Arizona pharmacology professor, who is studying the effect of marijuana on muscle spasticity.

AIDS wasting syndrome. Marinol has, in limited clinical trials, proved an effective treatment for wasting syndrome, the deadly loss of appetite and consequent extreme weight loss that afflicts many AIDS victims in the end stages of the disease. In fact, Marinol is one of only three FDA-approved treatments for this condition (the others are human growth hormone and a hormone called Megace, or megestrol acetate). But some AIDS patients say it's not an adequate substitute for marijuana. "All it did was make me very groggy without enhancing my appetite," one said.

AIDS activists and the doctors who treat the disease report that marijuana is also useful for suppressing the nausea that's a side effect of several effective anti-AIDS drugs. Advocates of providing AIDS patients with marijuana acknowledge the risks of the drug to lung and brain, but point out that these long-term effects matter little to someone with a terminal illness.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:12 pm

ThatDude wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Health benefits?? That's funny. If smoking marijuana was the only way to reap those benefits, I could understand it being legal under a physician's care. They can either prescribe THC in a pill form or find an alternative. I'm sure that smoking a joint isn't the only way to help them. It's not the actual smoking of marijuana that is giving them the benefits. That part is harmful.

That sounds like a rather uninformed opinion to me.

Marijuana suppresses nausea better than Marinol pills, and with fewer side effects. Physicians speculate that one reason for the difference is that smoked marijuana enters the bloodstream almost instantaneously, allowing patients to control their dose, whereas the oral version is absorbed slowly for some time. In addition, there's the possibility that the complex mix of compounds in whole, smoked marijuana somehow counteracts the more unpleasant effects of pure THC, such as extreme dizziness and unsteady gait.

People with spinal cord injuries and multiple sclerosis are prone to painful muscle spasms and tremors. Existing drugs give only partial relief, with severe side effects. There are many anecdotal reports that smoked marijuana relieves those symptoms but, to date, no large-scale, controlled clinical trial has compared marijuana with existing legal drugs. "With smoked marijuana, patients get immediate relief, whereas with the oral drug they get a delayed, big rush of unpleasantness. When they take a smaller dose, it doesn't work," says Paul Consroe, a University of Arizona pharmacology professor, who is studying the effect of marijuana on muscle spasticity.

AIDS wasting syndrome. Marinol has, in limited clinical trials, proved an effective treatment for wasting syndrome, the deadly loss of appetite and consequent extreme weight loss that afflicts many AIDS victims in the end stages of the disease. In fact, Marinol is one of only three FDA-approved treatments for this condition (the others are human growth hormone and a hormone called Megace, or megestrol acetate). But some AIDS patients say it's not an adequate substitute for marijuana. "All it did was make me very groggy without enhancing my appetite," one said.

AIDS activists and the doctors who treat the disease report that marijuana is also useful for suppressing the nausea that's a side effect of several effective anti-AIDS drugs. Advocates of providing AIDS patients with marijuana acknowledge the risks of the drug to lung and brain, but point out that these long-term effects matter little to someone with a terminal illness.

Well, the best way to cure a hangover is to start drinking again. Doesn't mean that it's not harmful to you. I also question that they couldn't use/find/develop alternatives than smoking weed.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ThatDude » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:20 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Well, the best way to cure a hangover is to start drinking again. Doesn't mean that it's not harmful to you.

So what?

If the benefits outweight the harmful effects, I don't see the problem. Futhermore, people should have the choice to decide what is best for them and their particular situation.

I also question that they couldn't use/find/develop alternatives than smoking weed.

Maybe they could, maybe they couldn't. Until more thorough research can be done, it's impossible to say, and that won't happen until more people recognize that marijuana can truly be more helpful than anything else out there.

The fact remains that, in some cases, smoking weed is the best option available right now. So why shouldn't people be able to do it?
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:26 pm

ThatDude wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Well, the best way to cure a hangover is to start drinking again. Doesn't mean that it's not harmful to you.

So what?

If the benefits outweight the harmful effects, I don't see the problem. Futhermore, people should have the choice to decide what is best for them and their particular situation.

I also question that they couldn't use/find/develop alternatives than smoking weed.

Maybe they could, maybe they couldn't. Until more thorough research can be done, it's impossible to say, and that won't happen until more people recognize that marijuana can truly be more helpful than anything else out there.

The fact remains that, in some cases, smoking weed is the best option available right now. So why shouldn't people be able to do it?

I wouldn't have an issue with this if it was researched thoroughly and then determined that it was the best option. I also see a major difference between legalizing it across the board and authorizing physicians to prescribe it when necessary.
Lofunzo

Postby ThatDude » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:29 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I wouldn't have an issue with this if it was researched thoroughly and then determined that it was the best option.

In the paragraphs I quoted to you earlier on this page, that's exactly what has been done.

It just needs to be done for more ailments, and if there is possibly a better way to filter the smoke to remove some of the harmful effects.

I also see a major difference between legalizing it across the board and authorizing physicians to prescribe it when necessary.

There is certainly a difference, and I'm very much in favor of both.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:47 pm

Studies show that people under certain conditions show much more effective results when smoking marijuana than taking a pure THC Marinol Pill. Usually the patient becomes nauseated from this pill. BTW smoking marijuana recreationally, when you do not have any health issue, can also be benificial as it causes the lungs to expand, and in turn you will take deeper breathes of air, which is much healthier for you.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:22 pm

Ok weed isn't harmful at all.

No more harmful to your lungs then walking in New York city.

It impares judgement which pretty much means don't drive on it.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:40 pm

Everyone wants to compare smoking weed to smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol. Yes, we all know that cigarettes and alcohol are damaging to your health if done in excess. This does not take away from the harmful effects of smoking weed. So please stop comparing weed to other harmful substances. It doesn't matter. It's irrelevant.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk