Like gum? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Like gum?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Like gum?

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:39 pm

Maryland Police Find Marijuana Gumballs in Schools

July 23, 2006

By Jim Kouri

(AXcess News) New York - High-grade marijuana is being packaged in gumballs and sold to high school students, according to Maryland State Police officials. These gumballs, known as "Greenades," contain enough THC to be fatal to smaller children. THC is the active chemical in marijuana that causes the user to become "high."

Two bright yellow gumballs with smiley faces were seized from two high school students by police at the Howard County High School in Maryland. A police officer assigned to the high school witnessed the gumballs being purchased by the students while passing between classes.

The gumballs were sent to the Maryland State Police's Forensic Sciences Division Laboratory in Pikesville, Maryland, and they determined there was approximately one gram of high-grade marijuana packed inside each gumball. The gumballs came wrapped in colorful tin foil labeled as "Greenades" with a marijuana leaf on the wrapper and detailed instructions for use.

With this discovery, concern over Greenades is growing among parents in the area, not only for the teenagers in the local student body but also over what happens when these drug-using students bring these gumballs home and their younger brothers or sisters get a hold of them, or worse yet, curious toddlers encounter them.

Most experts agree that there is enough THC in one gram of high grade marijuana to produce a lethal overdose that could result in death if swallowed by a toddler.

J.T. Daily, Director of Drug Education for Narconon Arrowhead, one of the country’s leading drug rehabilitation and education centers, said, "The way drugs are being marketed and packaged these days to encourage kids to buy and use them is getting pretty sophisticated."

The purpose, of course, is to create a future clientele for drugs and what better-targeted market for a pusher than kids, he stated.

"They are young, experimental by nature and have the money to buy it. If they try it and like it, they could end up being a permanent customer that one day ends up in our rehabilitation facility, in jail or dead."
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11420
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Like gum?

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:42 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Maryland Police Find Marijuana Gumballs in Schools

July 23, 2006

By Jim Kouri

(AXcess News) New York - High-grade marijuana is being packaged in gumballs and sold to high school students, according to Maryland State Police officials. These gumballs, known as "Greenades," contain enough THC to be fatal to smaller children. THC is the active chemical in marijuana that causes the user to become "high."

Two bright yellow gumballs with smiley faces were seized from two high school students by police at the Howard County High School in Maryland. A police officer assigned to the high school witnessed the gumballs being purchased by the students while passing between classes.

The gumballs were sent to the Maryland State Police's Forensic Sciences Division Laboratory in Pikesville, Maryland, and they determined there was approximately one gram of high-grade marijuana packed inside each gumball. The gumballs came wrapped in colorful tin foil labeled as "Greenades" with a marijuana leaf on the wrapper and detailed instructions for use.

With this discovery, concern over Greenades is growing among parents in the area, not only for the teenagers in the local student body but also over what happens when these drug-using students bring these gumballs home and their younger brothers or sisters get a hold of them, or worse yet, curious toddlers encounter them.

Most experts agree that there is enough THC in one gram of high grade marijuana to produce a lethal overdose that could result in death if swallowed by a toddler.

J.T. Daily, Director of Drug Education for Narconon Arrowhead, one of the country’s leading drug rehabilitation and education centers, said, "The way drugs are being marketed and packaged these days to encourage kids to buy and use them is getting pretty sophisticated."

The purpose, of course, is to create a future clientele for drugs and what better-targeted market for a pusher than kids, he stated.

"They are young, experimental by nature and have the money to buy it. If they try it and like it, they could end up being a permanent customer that one day ends up in our rehabilitation facility, in jail or dead."







Most experts agree that there is enough THC in one gram of high grade marijuana to produce a lethal overdose that could result in death if swallowed by a toddler.


Wow it could kill a toddler. So could a moth ball morons. Basically anything could kill a toddler.


"They are young, experimental by nature and have the money to buy it. If they try it and like it, they could end up being a permanent customer that one day ends up in our rehabilitation facility, in jail or dead."


Yea pot is a major killer. Worse then Aids I hear.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:46 pm

Stephen Sidney, M.D., associate director for clinical research at Kaiser Permanente, writes in an editorial published 9/20/03 in the British Medical Journal (Vol. 327, pp. 635-635):

"No acute lethal overdoses of cannabis are known, in contrast to several of its illegal (for example, cocaine) and legal (for example, alcohol, aspirin, acetaminophen) counterparts."
(9/20/03) BMJ

Joycelyn Elders, M.D., former U.S. Surgeon General, wrote in a 3/26/04 editorial published in Rhode Island's Providence Journal:

"Unlike many of the drugs we prescribe every day, marijuana has never been proven to cause a fatal overdose."
(3/26/04) DP

Denis Petro, M.D., in his 1997 paper "Pharmacology and Toxicity of Cannabis", published in the book "Cannabis in Medical Practice - A Legal, Historical and Pharmacological Overview of the Therapeutic Use of Marijuana", Dr. Petro wrote on Page 62:

"The estimated lethal human dose of intravenous Marinol is 30 mg/kg (2100 mg/70 kg). Using this estimation of lethal dose, the equivalent inhaled THC would represent the smoking of 240 cannabis cigarettes with total systemic absorption of the average 8.8 mg of THC in each cigarette.

Since absorption is much less than 100 percent, the amount of smoked marijuana required to reach lethality is on the order of one to two thousand cigarettes.

The physical impossibility of a fatal overdose using smoked cannabis is obvious."
(1997) DP

Bill Zimmerman, Executive Director of Americans for Medical Rights, told MedMJpro/con:

"Marijuana has been used as a medicinal herb for thousands of years, going back to ancient civilizations in Egypt, India and Africa. In all that time, up to and including the present day, there has never been a report of a fatality directly due to the consumption of marijuana.

In contrast, over 1,000 people die annually in the US from an overdose of our most common non-prescription drug, aspirin. In addition, many thousands of deaths result from the legal prescription drugs.

After hearing two year's worth of evidence on the presumed dangers of marijuana, DEA Judge Francis L. Young said this: "marijuana is the safest therapeutically active substance known to man ... safer than many foods we commonly consume."
(11/15/01) BZ

Judge Francis L. Young wrote in his 1988 decision:

"Drugs used in medicine are routinely given what is called an LD-50. The LD-50 rating indicates at what dosage 50% of test animals receiving a drug will die as a result of drug induced toxicity...

At present it is estimated that marijuana's LD-50 is around 1:20,000 or 1:40,000. In layman terms this means in order to induce death, a smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette.

NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately 0.9 grams. A smoker would have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about 15 minutes to induce a lethal response. In practical terms, marijuana cannot induce a lethal response as a result of drug-related toxicity."

Judge Young also stated in that ruling:

"A commonly used over-the-counter product like aspirin has a therapeutic ratio of around 1:20. Two aspirins are the recommended dose for adult patients. Twenty times this dose, forty aspirins, may cause a lethal reaction in some patients and will almost certainly cause gross injury to the digestive system...

By contrast, marijuana's therapeutic ratio... is impossible to quantify because it is so high."
(9/6/88) FLY

Time Magazine stated in a Nov. 4, 2002 cover story:

"No one has ever died of THC [marijuana] poisoning, mostly because a 160-lb. person would have to smoke roughly 900 joints in a sitting to reach a lethal dose."
(11/4/02) TM

David Borden, Executive Director of The Drug Reform Coordination Network, wrote MedMJpro/con:

"Death by overdose isn’t the only danger that drugs present, but it is one important measure.

In fact, a study conducted by Kaiser Permanente from 1979-1985 with a follow-up in 1991 found no correlation between marijuana use and death, evidence that even heavy marijuana use for decades does not appear to be associated with major health risks, whereas heavy alcohol users will develop cirrhosis and other potentially fatal conditions."
(2/14/02) DB

The Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) report, “Mortality Data From Dawn, 2000,” published 7/01 by the Office of Applied Studies, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), noted on page 25;

“Marijuana is rarely the only drug involved in a drug abuse death. Thus, in most cases, the proportion of marijuana-involved cases labeled as ‘One drug’ (i.e., marijuana only) will be zero or nearly zero.”
(July, 2001) SAMHSA
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Like gum?

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:01 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Most experts agree that there is enough THC in one gram of high grade marijuana to produce a lethal overdose that could result in death if swallowed by a toddler.


Wow it could kill a toddler. So could a moth ball morons. Basically anything could kill a toddler.


I don't know what your point is with this statement. Are you saying that there is nothing wrong with packaging marijuana in a format that small chidren would find appealing and that toddlers would want to put in their mouths? What's next, marijuana on a pacifier?

I don't want to be Helen Lovejoy but "Won't somebody please think of the children?"
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19542
(Past Year: 281)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Like gum?

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:10 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Most experts agree that there is enough THC in one gram of high grade marijuana to produce a lethal overdose that could result in death if swallowed by a toddler.


Wow it could kill a toddler. So could a moth ball morons. Basically anything could kill a toddler.


I don't know what your point is with this statement. Are you saying that there is nothing wrong with packaging marijuana in a format that small chidren would find appealing and that toddlers would want to put in their mouths? What's next, marijuana on a pacifier?

I don't want to be Helen Lovejoy but "Won't somebody please think of the children?"


My point is that toddlers shouldn't be chewing gum to being with. In fact I think its just as likley that a toddler die from normal chewing gum then gum laced with pot.

Its pointless. So I guess we shouldn't make anything that toddlers would want to put in their mouths. So that means we need to get rid of anything smaller then a baseball
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Like gum?

Postby ThatDude » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:14 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I don't know what your point is with this statement. Are you saying that there is nothing wrong with packaging marijuana in a format that small chidren would find appealing and that toddlers would want to put in their mouths? What's next, marijuana on a pacifier?


If it keeps babies from crying, I'm all for it.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2210
Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Like gum?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:33 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Most experts agree that there is enough THC in one gram of high grade marijuana to produce a lethal overdose that could result in death if swallowed by a toddler.


Wow it could kill a toddler. So could a moth ball morons. Basically anything could kill a toddler.


I don't know what your point is with this statement. Are you saying that there is nothing wrong with packaging marijuana in a format that small chidren would find appealing and that toddlers would want to put in their mouths? What's next, marijuana on a pacifier?

I don't want to be Helen Lovejoy but "Won't somebody please think of the children?"


My point is that toddlers shouldn't be chewing gum to being with. In fact I think its just as likley that a toddler die from normal chewing gum then gum laced with pot.

Its pointless. So I guess we shouldn't make anything that toddlers would want to put in their mouths. So that means we need to get rid of anything smaller then a baseball


yeah, i would think all gum would be bad for them. also the story says it was being sold to HIGH SHCOOL students...i doubt we have to worry about some druggie giving it to his 2 year old brother.
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:36 pm

We should probably watch out for these sick attempted baby killers:

Image

Of course an elephant can die from this stuff
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:06 pm

There has never been a documented fatality from marijuana or THC overdose.

THC has a LD50 value of 1270 mg/kg (male rats) and 730 mg/kg (female rats) administered orally dissolved in sesame oil.[citation needed]

If this were scaled up to an adult human, the lethal dose would be between approximately 50 and 86 g for a 68 kg (150 lb) person. This would be equivalent to 1-1.8 kg of marijuana with a 5% THC content (roughly average) taken orally.

Studies of the distribution of the cannabinoid receptors in the brain explain why THC's toxicity is so low (i.e., the LD50 of the compound is so large): parts of the brain that control vital functions such as respiration do not have many receptors, so they are relatively unaffected even by doses larger than could ever be ingested under any normal conditions.


So the lethal dosage of THC for a 150 lb adult is eating between 2.5 and 4 POUNDS of pot... but I see the point on both sides.

First of all, I suppose hiding pot in gumballs is the perfect fodder for suggesting infants can die from ingesting such a small amount of THC... but what the article says is basically that "THC is toxic and can kill." That's just pushing it, and I'm in total agreement with ACS here... this article is just another example of why there is such huge misconception of marijuana. Oh, so high schoolers are eating it in gumballs... who cares?! If anything, it will make them less likely to drive around my neighborhood with plastic, spinning K-Mart rims and vomit inducing tailpipes affixed to their 1994 Chevy Barettas.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Coppermine wrote:
There has never been a documented fatality from marijuana or THC overdose.

THC has a LD50 value of 1270 mg/kg (male rats) and 730 mg/kg (female rats) administered orally dissolved in sesame oil.[citation needed]

If this were scaled up to an adult human, the lethal dose would be between approximately 50 and 86 g for a 68 kg (150 lb) person. This would be equivalent to 1-1.8 kg of marijuana with a 5% THC content (roughly average) taken orally.

Studies of the distribution of the cannabinoid receptors in the brain explain why THC's toxicity is so low (i.e., the LD50 of the compound is so large): parts of the brain that control vital functions such as respiration do not have many receptors, so they are relatively unaffected even by doses larger than could ever be ingested under any normal conditions.


So the lethal dosage of THC for a 150 lb adult is eating between 2.5 and 4 POUNDS of pot... but I see the point on both sides.

First of all, I suppose hiding pot in gumballs is the perfect fodder for suggesting infants can die from ingesting such a small amount of THC... but what the article says is basically that "THC is toxic and can kill." That's just pushing it, and I'm in total agreement with ACS here... this article is just another example of why there is such huge misconception of marijuana. Oh, so high schoolers are eating it in gumballs... who cares?! If anything, it will make them less likely to drive around my neighborhood with plastic, spinning K-Mart rims and vomit inducing tailpipes affixed to their 1994 Chevy Barettas.


Its just totally unrelated to the whole freaking article.

Its like saying. Shark attacks are up this year. On a side note if sharks were in space they could possibly be a danger to astronauts.

Thats nice
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: assiquate and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Jul. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact