rookie/young pitchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

rookie/young pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rmande09 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:51 pm

Francisco Liriano is the best pitcher I have ever seen. I've seen a lot of Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, but the four starts I have watched of Liriano's were out of this worl. And I'm serious about this.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Thursday » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:00 pm

I think this is a great thread. Seeing Liriano's hype this year reminds me of a certain youngster from last year, i think he was named Felix Hernandez? ( :~( )

The hype around him is CRAZYNESS, and some people are so rabid about it, i may be strung up by my shoelaces for even pointing this out. Even good ol' Funston has Liriano at 11th on his current Big Board.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:08 pm

rmande09 wrote:Francisco Liriano is the best pitcher I have ever seen. I've seen a lot of Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, but the four starts I have watched of Liriano's were out of this worl. And I'm serious about this.

WOW...that is saying a lot... I've seen his last two starts, and I have to agree he looks as good as anyone I've ever witnessed, plain NASTY!

Dwight Gooden will always be the best I've ever seen... ;-D
(In person)

Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson...Might be the two best ever in my opinion..

Francisco Liriano is comparable to any of them in the two starts I've watched...That being said...Mark Prior was also one of the best I've ever witnessed in 2002, and 2003 I considered Mark Prior as good, if not better than anyone I had ever seen before in the Majors... the talent of Liriano is undeniable, but life happens...Nothing is a guarantee!
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmande09 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:15 pm

If Liriano remains healthy, doesn't mysteriously lose his control (or velocity), he will be unreal. His slider is one of the best pitches I've ever seen. At 91, it doesn't need to break much to be effective, but it does - alot. It has more movement than RJs did in his prime. Not to mention it breaks sharp and late. Put that together with a 96 MPH fastball, an 84 "dead" change, repeatable mechanics for all three pitches, and pinpoint control, and this kid is the REAL deal.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:06 pm

rmande09 wrote:Francisco Liriano is the best pitcher I have ever seen. I've seen a lot of Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, but the four starts I have watched of Liriano's were out of this worl. And I'm serious about this.

8-o 8-o You have been around long enough to see Ryan pitch, but you think Liriano is the best??? 8-o 8-o
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:11 pm

fidrych and Denny McLain are a couple of Historical examples. Young pitchers being unhittable for a half (or even a couple of seasons) then imploding is much more common than people think. Not that that will happen in this case...
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Shadow of the Sun* » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:15 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:

8-o 8-o You have been around long enough to see Ryan pitch, but you think Liriano is the best??? 8-o 8-o

Agreed. Just think back to Felix last year. In recent years we have had: Harden, Prior, Wood, Duke, Ollie P, AJ Burnett, Rick Ankiel, plus many, many more.
Shadow of the Sun*
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:48 pm

rmande09 wrote: His slider is one of the best pitches I've ever seen. At 91, it doesn't need to break much to be effective, but it does - alot. It has more movement than RJs did in his prime. Not to mention it breaks sharp and late.

That Slider could be his undoing. Throwing a hard slider is terrible for the arm (espically for young pitchers), i don't know how long Liriano has been throwing it for, but many many trainors say that the slider should not be thrown until you are 20. As you said health could be the reason for his decline and the slider is a very risky pitch.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby ARN » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:52 pm

thedude wrote:
rmande09 wrote: His slider is one of the best pitches I've ever seen. At 91, it doesn't need to break much to be effective, but it does - alot. It has more movement than RJs did in his prime. Not to mention it breaks sharp and late.

That Slider could be his undoing. Throwing a hard slider is terrible for the arm (espically for young pitchers), i don't know how long Liriano has been throwing it for, but many many trainors say that the slider should not be thrown until you are 20. As you said health could be the reason for his decline and the slider is a very risky pitch.

didnt he have arm troubles before the giants traded him?
ARN
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers